Dec. 10th Discord AMA Transcript

NQ-Naunet

Hello. :) 

For those that were unable to attend (or simply prefer the forums over Discord), here is a transcript of the AMA JC held on Thursday, December 10th to field questions about the 0.23 patch release.

I would like to issue a very big and special thank-you to a player by the name of The Chargent on Discord for compiling this information! If you see him around, please let him know he's an asset to the DU community. ❤️ (Note that the entire AMA is available to read on Discord as well for posterity.)

Here we go! Blue responses are from JC, default text colour are the questions:

**Asteroid mining before or after territory warfare?**

NQ-Sophon: before!

**VarietyMMOs: Jc. The element destruction and core replacement in the latest patch has made pvp and Lose-lose situation. Even if you win a fight you still lose in overall resoureces. How will this be addressed? is asteroids nq response to this? if so when will they be implemented**

NQ-Sophon: The key idea in the evolution of PvP that we have in mind is to allow you to better target parts of the ships you want to target, and also have different types of damage for different types of elements/voxels in the ship, so the current situation where you have to obliterate a ship to "win" should go. But this is not for "right now".

**Akthurya: Could you say more about other income-providing methods and what are the NQ plan to incent players to explore multiple carrier and path to generate quanta? (Not having every player as an industrial man/woman)**

NQ-Sophon: It's indeed at the heart of what we have tried to do with 0.23 to make it more like the game is a "society of players" rather than solo/small group self sufficients entities. That does not mean you cannot play solo, but you will use the markets to interact (anonymously) with thousands of others. Now, the key to this is to be able to make money and it's true that right now, it's mostly mining. In fact, there is also trading, but for various reasons this has not been used so far (mostly because the economy was not igniting as everybody almost was playing in isolation). The next step is for us to introduce  a mission system where you will be able to make money, and (this is still in discussion) possible competitive arenas (for PvP) where players can face each other (without risks for their real ships). This would be an extension of the current tutorial "instance" mechanisms, but you will be able to bring a ship along with you. These are just example, we are working hard on the pb of "how to make money without mining all the time" 

**NQ-Sophon: Why was the update brought now and not next year?  => **
the reasoning is that the game is currently getting people to reach end game way too fast. Once you have been to endgame, it's hard to go back. So, it's better to fix this asap so that new players to not be impacted and have the proper experience. It's not cool, we get it, but this is the way the game should have been from the start. Now on the bright side: think of all the business opportunities in the game right now. Lots of people with lots of needs, and lots of trade/cooperation/exchange possible. This is a new challenge, and we believe it is surmountable. We might have to do some minor adjustment over the coming weeks, so we stay listening to you guys, but the core idea will remain.

**CDEEKS: So, what are NQ doing to improve the solo player experiance and small group as often many mmo games cater too much to the larger groups and oprgs and the little guy is left behijnd.**

NQ-Sophon: Extension of the above answer, to clarify: 1. mission system (more about that soon, in the next release), 2. more events, 3. arenas/sandboxes based on the tutorial system but more "open", 4. asteroids yes!. A bit later we will have a revamp of the PvP and territory warfare.

**InfoDeath: Question: How are you going to address the fact that some organizations that had members in the Test Server, and were aware of the latest changes ahead of time, Used that insider information to stockpile various endgame items before the patch was announced?**

NQ-Sophon: We are going to introduce a much larger public test server soon. And we will keep working with ATV with a different approach that will be more about discussing future evolution ahead of the push in the test server. We want to avoid pushing completely new stuff in production as we have done so far.

**Virtual: Question: Will the ability to blueprint anyone's ship you have build mode on from before the update be fixed?**

NQ-Sophon: Yes, this is a problem that will be fixed at the latests by next week. The fix is in QA.

**WhiteMeat: Hi JC, I really don't have any issues with this update at all honestly, and a lot of unnecessary complaints. However what I love about this game is that you can be creative. What I don't like is that it takes quite a bit of work for you to excersize any type of creativity. Are there plans to give us a bit more freedom for this, rather than spending months to get the right color of honeycomb trained for your building, etc. ?**

NQ-Sophon: We are really considering the possibility to introduce a form of sandbox mode: like a tutorial, but with infinite stuff in it and persistence. It would not be in the real world (so all you can bring along from there is a blueprint), but it would allow you to build, test ships, etc, with no strings attached.

**NoRezervationz: Hi JC! I have a background in real life manufacturing. I know for a fact that manufacturers use their own R&D to make their designs (you call them schematics) and use that single design/schematic across all their machines. Why did NQ decide that the same schematic needed to be bought multiple times for multiple machines? Related, why wasn't there a system in place for players to do their own "R&D" on schematics instead of buying them bots? I ask this, because you made many references to real life comparisons in your last Q&A**

NQ-Sophon: The proper way to look at a schematics (the name is perhaps misleading) is that it's a whole factory in fact. It's a thing that allows you to produce complicated products in mass volume, from components. A factory is usually worth millions or billions $ in real world, to produce goods that are way cheaper that the cost of the factory. This analogy can help to understand the prices here and the metaphor. And R&D on schematics: yes this is planned, I don't know when we will have time to implement it, but it's a good idea. And perhaps we will introduce also way to earn schematics without necessarily buying them on the markets, but for now this is the first step we had to take.

**Odendis: Will NQ consider a more agile process of development where patches are generally smaller but more frequent.  Can we also have Dev Dairies return so we know what is being worked on and can weigh in on it.**

NQ-Sophon: yes, we plan to be more agile in the future: sharing our design plans with the community more in advance and engage in discussion ahead, plus using the future public test server to push smaller iterations more often.

**MalphasWats: @NQ-Sophon Hi, What roles do you see more casual players filling in the next 6 months or so? What content will there be aimed at 'shorter' play sessions?**

NQ-Sophon: As I said in a previous question, there are a lot of things cooking that will address precisely that. One example is the mission system. You'll be able to fulfill small missions (issued by other players, or by Aphelia) with a clearly stated difficulty (mass to transport, distance, etc). This is a cool way to go around in the game world, to make a bit of money and to build relations with other players (the mission issuers). Always this idea of a society of players.

**XKent: Why you advertise game as PVP and don't care about PVP ? You do advertise NOW as PVP, not in 2 patches. You nerf it over and over to the point that it's impossible to PVP. DU is fake news ?**

NQ-Sophon: PvP is probably going to be the biggest overhaul of next year and it will change it deeply in a super cool way, introducing a lot of tactical elements, and more roles, more options. I'm really excited to talk about it with you and we should probably to a dedicated live session on that. Rest assured that we care a LOT about PvP. Things take time however.

**Alias: 2. please bear in mind that not all noveans read patch notes. So my suggestion is to implement more popups for every player to highlight the biggest changes (like alt+f4, industry changes..) and make patch notes readable ingame :slight_smile: **

NQ-Sophon: 2 => We are actually putting the finishing touches to a new launcher, which will allow us to push news about the game directly to the players, and also will have a dedicated section for patch notes. It should come for 0.24 or before early in the year.

**McSoon: Mining unit soon ?**

NQ-Sophon: mining units are tied to Territory Warfare, because TW is also about giving more value to territory tiles, some of which will be related to their capacity to be mined with those mining units.

**_Kiwi_: When are we going to get a second solar system?**

NQ-Sophon: the plan is to have that somewhere in the second part of 2021, definitely for release

**copperlein: Will it be possible to use the recycler in the future to recycle elements?**

NQ-Sophon: The recycler is in discussion yes, no shipping date yet, but it will come

**smurfenq: How are we as pirates supposed to earn anything when we have put all our efforts into one specific area of the game that now can't earn you anything as the stuff we shoot will be deleted? There is currently no way for us to communicate/surgically destroy enemy ships, so isnt the consequence for bad decision making rushed as there is no decision for us to make, i.e. AVA or specific elelemt targeting.'**

NQ-Sophon: First, there is the points I mentioned about the future of PvP where you will be able to be more surgical in attacks. Also, the idea here is that a ship can be partially destroyed (with restoration points remaining), so it's not clear that you will necessarily run it down entierely each time. But the recycler would help to make sense of that, I agree

**3ApNTerra: What lead you to the decision to increase bot ore prices. This is just removing more resources from the game rather than encouraging those resources to be used.**

NQ-Sophon: It is meant to be temporary until we introduce more ways to make money (next release with mission system). We will see how that flies and we might revert anything related to bots at any given time.

**Alias: 3. ammunition schematics are all at 168.750Q ?! why all same price? and why so cheap? compared with other things its just a drop onto an hot stone ? - must be changed - ammo shouldnt be that easy to have/get in mass!**

NQ-Sophon: 3 => the schematics price formula is P = 500 * 1.5^Tier * max(100, SchematicsRunTime)

**Catavarie: Are there any plans for providing analytical market data such as price history and volume moved of each individual item so that players can better determine what to specialize their production towards and an API with which market data can be analyzed outside of the game?  And any timeline on when these market features can be expected?**

NQ-Sophon: Definitely, as we know this is crucial for traders to do their (very important) job. However, this is also a lot of work for the team. Right now, we are discussing the much easier option to introduce a market API so that you guys are not stuck for too long times.

**Dr. Dehydration: Hello JC, I see many players calling for a wipe. Instead of a wipe what if a element decay system was implimented? This could clear up a lot of abandoned ships and other various buildings and elements from the servers, as well as open up territories which were claimed.**

NQ-Sophon: there is a detailed plan we have to introduce "garbage collecting" of abandoned constructs but this is not a priority. Element decay sounds like something that could be seen as too harsh if it's generalized.

**Dropdeadfred: Could you please consider adding all of the T1 schematics, and Kergon, to every planet?   There are a ton of players in the outlying planets that were unaware that a change like this was coming.  Some of us are looking at a 10-12 hour round trip, plus fuel expenses, simply to have refiners making iron again.  We can't even make the fuel needed to make the trip.**

NQ-Sophon: We will see. But what you just said sounds like a fantastic business opportunity for "entrepreneurs" in the game to provide you with a market-efficient solution ? People say there is not much to do, but each of these design choice are made to trigger indirect opportunities for some players to address needs of other players and make a business out of it. Let's see how it evolves.

**TacticalDonut: Has these last 24 hours given you any insight into your industry changes, for instance schematic prices? Will we be compensated for any changes in prices if we already bought in(with every quanta we have)?**

NQ-Sophon: We are aware of that and honestly we don't have an answer right now. We need to look into what's possible to do and if we can compensate players without leading to abuses. We have a meeting planned to discuss it but I don't have an answer right away, I'm sorry.

**Regarding Meganodes** (This issue has since been fixed.)

NQ-Sophon: Yes, we know. This is a tricky problem. We tried to fix a bug around territory scanner results and it introduced this issue on mega nodes. The plan is now to fix the fix, but it will reshuffle the ore distribution in any "cell" not yet mined. That means: more mining opportunities (good), but also all scanner results on untouched territory tiles will become invalid. We tend to think it's better to regen the ore and invalidate the scanner results, but we know some players made a business out of those scanner results, so...

**ChaoticOne: You say people are reaching "end game" too fast. What is even end game in a building game? As long as I have ideas, there is NO end game. So how do you get to determine that for us? Can we just admit that this was a back end way to save the servers from not being able to handle what you thought it could? I don't play games to spend years trying to just build a box. Sorry this was alot, but all questions are of same caliber.**

NQ-Sophon: The changes made in 0.23 have nothing to do with server limitations. When I talk about end game here, I was mostly talking about the industry gameplay. And, as a consequence, the isolationism that impaired the economy.

**BonemanJones: Will we ever be able to create mining ships with drills on them to allow us to mine more efficiently?**

NQ-Sophon: Not in the short term, but it's not out of the question in particular for asteroid mining. Note that we can't also have mega chunks of stuff mined in one shot, because of server calculation costs involved.

**CedriVastal: A pressing question among many builders and architects is would it be feasible under the current engine to implement finer controls or more sensitive incremental rotations for precision placement in build mode as well as core placement/blueprint placement?**

NQ-Sophon: Definitely, and it does not seem like a huge addition to put on our side. Like everything else, we need to balance priorities here.

**McSoon: Mining unit soon ?**

NQ-Sophon: mining units are tied to Territory Warfare, because TW is also about giving more value to territory tiles, some of which will be related to their capacity to be mined with those mining units.

**Forodrim: 1. I see that on the Start Screen there is the exploration and shipwreck now ticked as finished. Does that mean the current version of it is the final version? Because I think it is rather underwhelming as it involves no real game mechanic, like scanning or similar. **

NQ-Sophon: 1. => most feature like that is never really finished, so we could invest more and more time in it forever. We will continue to make small adjustment and iterate on it, but we can't invest vast amount of time in it anymore (hence the ticked box), at least for now (until release is done)

**Noddles: Why not introduce power mechanics first and see how the effect industry before these changes?**

NQ-Sophon: power (or, "energy management" as we call it) is tied to territory tiles, hence it is also tied to the big "territory warfare" update, which include a lot of work on making each tile more valuable, including related to their energy production capacity. We could decouple it, but this is not the current plan.

**EveManny: Can JC meet us out in the PVP zone after this AMA so we can uh "speak"**

NQ-Sophon: Sure. I'll bring my "godmode" powers and we'll have a friendly chat :slight_smile:

**Kurock: With players  mining big holes in the planets, is there a plan to do anything with the tunnels and new cavities formed?**

NQ-Sophon: Not at the moment, but there is a possibility one day that we regen underground areas that are not under claimed territories, to save on resources on our side.

**GraySeeker: ‘ think of all the business opportunities in the game right now. Lots of people with lots of needs, and lots of trade/cooperation/exchange possible.’
All NQ  talk seems to be centred around this business premise. It seems that you are overlooking one important factor: People like to build stuff themselves.Creative people aren’t driven by economics, power etc. The driving force is to create, to build. And DU is awesome for this. A primary reason the market hasn’t been used as you would like could be because people love to make the stuff themselves. Are you concerned  that people will sink all their money into schematics to carry on building as they have been, buying little else from the market which could end a potentially worse situation? If you think mining to buy a mass produced component is more interesting than making it yourself then you are in danger of purposefully killing the fun of the game**

NQ-Sophon: We don't expect all player to "sink all their money into schematics" in fact. We expect a minority (10%?) to go into the industry gameplay, and compete on the market to provide low cost "products" to all the other players. It will be vastly cheaper to go buy on the market, than trying to produce yourself (like in the real world). We will how that works, but this answer is a call to arms for industrialists: you have a lot of customers out there waiting for you! Also, about the more creative side: as I said above, we are really thinking about creative sandboxes. More to come soon.

**Nemaca: Hello, as a new player, how can I learn the new ways? Are the Turtorials updated? Thanks!**

NQ-Sophon: I know we have spent a lot of time updating the tutorials but I'm not sure it's completely done (and, in general, we would like to add way more tutorials). I need to check that with the team. Hopefully also we will see some videos coming out with more details. About the new industry, I would recommend: if you want to become industrialist, start small, pick a slice in the production chain, buy the components, sell the products, and iterate. Soon enough you will have a pretty large factory, especially if you start with T1

**Regarding Support**

NQ-Sophon: We tried to explain the situation in the AMA on Monday. The truth is that we got absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of tickets we received at the launch of the beta, despite the fact that we had ramped up our support team in preparation. We had a exponential effect between the number of new players and the number of bugs and issues, which flooded our support channels. So what we did is we prioritized the tickets, first with the ones that were preventing players from playing the game. For the past few weeks we've been going back to the backlog, with most tickets now honestly obsolete. It's really not ideal, and a lot of tickets got answered very late, admittedly. I can ensure you though that we've ramped up our team even more (but it takes time to train the teams on a game like DU), we are building more tools to help the team, and we're almost done with the backlog of tickets at this point.

**EveManny: Can JC meet us out in the PVP zone after this AMA so we can uh "speak"**

NQ-Sophon: Sure. I'll bring my "godmode" powers and we'll have a friendly chat :slight_smile:

That figures.

Also:

We don't expect all player to "sink all their money into schematics" in fact. We expect a minority (10%?) to go into the industry gameplay, and compete on the market to provide low cost "products" to all the other players. It will be vastly cheaper to go buy on the market, than trying to produce yourself (like in the real world). 

Yeah, that's going to work. To paraphrase: 10% will want to play the fully developed aspect of the game and the other 90% will be happy to mine the last few dregs of ore for hours to pay the cartel rates for stuff to build their ships with that will likely get perma destroyed by bugs/lag and have to be repurchased from scratch a couple of days later.

What I sort of semi-predict (in other words, I just pulled it of my arse ? )  is big orgs will continue to be completely self contained civilizations just as they are right now, only put on hold for a week to a month while they gather funds from their richest members, load up their schematics and reconfigure their factories...
Meanwhile a proportion of the soloists/small groups will become disenfranchised with the game and stop playing.

New players may join and will be goaded into mining for the big orgs.

As latecomers, they will likely never rise in the ranks of said org and a proportion of them likely become disenfranchised with the game and stop playing.
Either that or they will be left swilling around the detritus of the long departed, swiss cheese planets and be fully reliant on the government scab handouts (100/150kh),  likely become disenfranchised with the game and stop playing.

Some people say I can get a bit too cynical at times.

1 hour ago, NQ-Naunet said:

GraySeeker: ‘ think of all the business opportunities in the game right now. Lots of people with lots of needs, and lots of trade/cooperation/exchange possible.’
All NQ  talk seems to be centred around this business premise. It seems that you are overlooking one important factor: People like to build stuff themselves.Creative people aren’t driven by economics, power etc. The driving force is to create, to build. And DU is awesome for this. A primary reason the market hasn’t been used as you would like could be because people love to make the stuff themselves. Are you concerned  that people will sink all their money into schematics to carry on building as they have been, buying little else from the market which could end a potentially worse situation? If you think mining to buy a mass produced component is more interesting than making it yourself then you are in danger of purposefully killing the fun of the game**

NQ-Sophon: We don't expect all player to "sink all their money into schematics" in fact. We expect a minority (10%?) to go into the industry gameplay, and compete on the market to provide low cost "products" to all the other players. It will be vastly cheaper to go buy on the market, than trying to produce yourself (like in the real world). We will how that works, but this answer is a call to arms for industrialists: you have a lot of customers out there waiting for you! Also, about the more creative side: as I said above, we are really thinking about creative sandboxes. More to come soon.

Why exactly the minority of people that runs the market should provide low-cost products? The lack of competitors doesn't make price higher? And usually people are drive by profit, not by the purpose of providing services/goos for a reasonable or low price.

Furthermore he doesn't actually answer why creative people should be find more fun on buying things from market rather than creating things by themself.

I was one of those: I do not care about profit or to save time by purchasing things on the market. I was very satisfied to be able to create things by myself. That what your marketing sold me when I subscribed and what I was looking for.

If you want us to collaborate...why don't you simply add some community goal like building something or defend from a pve threat? Why are you obsessed by reaching "end-game" things? Why so obsessed by market and profit? How do you know which end game each player set for himself? Wasn't you that say that every player had to set his own goal?

You removed this mechanism, now I have no purpose to continue playing this game. I'm non interested in grinding money for buying things on market. That is an experience that I already have in real life, no need to play a game for that.

9 minutes ago, Vanquish383 said:

Why exactly the minority of people that runs the market should provide low-cost products? The lack of competitors doesn't make price higher? And usually people are drive by profit, not by the purpose of providing a service for a reasonable price.

Furthermore he doesn't actually answer why creative people should be find more fun on buying things from market rather than creating things by themself.

I was one of those: I do not care about profit or to save time by purchasing things on the market. I was very satisfied to be able to create things by myself. That what your marketing sold me when I subscribed and what I was looking for.

If you want us to collaborate...why don't you simply add some community goal like building something or defend by a pve threats? Why are you obsessed by reaching "end-game" things? How do you know which end game each player set for himself? Is wasn't you that say that every player had to set his own goal?

You removed this mechanism, now I have no purpose to continue playing this game. I'm non interested in grinding money for buying things on market. That is an experience that I already have in real life, no need to play a game for that.

I have used the markets a good deal rather than saving up ℏ. A decent balance of making our own stuff and relying on the market. It has been a fun ride.

Also, as for endgame, people haven't even seen anything like an endgame yet...
Maybe in JCs mind, when the orgs have created an L ship that has got into space and can warp, that is endgame.

But I see end game being when people have built (and fleshed out) massive space stations tens of kilometres long, gleaming towers that reach the stratosphere, pushed voxelmancy to within inches of its life and created entire operating systems using LUA or at least frameworks and ecosystems for building modular drop in applications.

Sure progress has been fast but just look at how much effort people have put in.. Some have been mining for up to 15 hours a day to fund their (org's) dreams. Our own org members have already said at times this game has felt more like a second job.

Nowhere near endgame....

If they wanted to make a cooperating civilisation, they could make the upcoming system jump technology super duper expensive and have it needed to be built part by part, blueprint by blueprint and assembled in open space away from all the planets... say something like assembling 12 warp beacons and placing them on XL space cores arranged in a ring... It would cost hundreds of billions of ℏ and NQ would create some community events to build and protect the nascent technology from raiders and pirates, etc.  That would have brought the players together, much like the CGs (community goals) in ED regularly used to bring thousands of players to out of the way systems in the bubble and often on opposing teams.

Once the ring was complete, the destination system would be accessible. They could have in-lore reasons as to the whys and hows of it.

41 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

To paraphrase: 10% will want to play the fully developed aspect of the game and the other 90% will be happy to mine the last few dregs of ore for hours to pay the cartel rates

It might be even worse. In the attempt to make their factories working again, the industry players will drain almost all existing money out of the game. The result is deflation - one of the worst things that can happen to an economy. When I checked the buy and sell orders today it looked like it already started. The markets have been broken before but the last patch seems to sound the death knell for it (as to be expected). I am going to take a break from the game. Maybe I come back later when it survives. Or maybe not. There are other games out there to play.

2 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

**BonemanJones: Will we ever be able to create mining ships with drills on them to allow us to mine more efficiently?**

NQ-Sophon: Not in the short term, but it's not out of the question in particular for asteroid mining. Note that we can't also have mega chunks of stuff mined in one shot, because of server calculation costs involved.

Fair enough resources are a thing and are limited. To many miners pulling out 10s of k of ore per shot would do nasty things to the server. Makes sense. So a better idea is why not combine the harvester with a weapon and put specialized nodes on astroids and even rarely  deep on planets? (think either mining shaft or having to dig out a cavern to set up a drilling platform)

To elaborate you could have the mining laser produce "compressed raw ingots" in the same fashion that the harvester tool gets 20 ore regardless of rock. Save instead of rocks you  get the ingots. Raw ingots could and should give many times the amount of processed <insert material here> as normal ore. But tie the feature to a mining laser seat and node detector. Node detector finds nodes, laser locks on and you are forced to hold still until its done like a scanner. 15-20 mins later you have 250 raw ingots which when processed in a compressed ore factory translate to for the sake of this discussion 250k ore. Have ore amount extracted be tied to both laser and processing skills, tier, and laser size. And set laser power draw to be the equivlent of 2 actual weapons of the same size. Perhaps allow the lasers to do damage at knife fighting ranges (10-25% the range of an equivlent military laser but either higher damage if using ammo or free if lower damage)

This would be a good thing for miners and pvpers. It gives incentive to us miners to want to risk the pvp zone without leaving us ENTIRELY defenseless. And it also encourages us to either hire guards or bring along org members/friends to guard our ship or risk a pirate attack we likely cant win. Meanwhile it also gives pirates a reason to exist while giving them tempting targets with at least SOME aspect of danger and risk. Addionally it gives competeing orgs reasons to face off over particularly good astroids.

Though to avoid 600 pirates camping the one mineing node rock you should put in several dozen per planet spread well outside radar range of each other and have the nodes respawn randomly. Or if posible have the astroids spawn/despawn in a given area too wide to scan all of easily. Say a 100 SU area per zone so miners have at least some chance to collect ore without escort. For both cases the number and type of ore should be random. You may get iron or you may get titanium. you may get 1 node or 20 per roid.

Win Win Win all around. Pirates have a reason to attack freighters, freighters have a reason to risk pvp and you suddenly have a reason to fight each other over resources and it has a minimal impact on the server.

19 hours ago, OverLordByron said:

Is it just me or do the responses seem to show frustration, with just a hint of resentment? Each answer seems to show an increasing level of anger, like he's mad at the players for what they've done with his game. ?

I really think that's just you tbh.

Glad to hear they're considering a creative mode. It's very inhibiting to spend millions of quanta (which are now hard to get) to try out an idea only to find it doesn't work.

TLDR:

Patch notes: We now have better protection for your voxelmancy !

Players QA question: WTF ? All my ships been copied, I lost all my work!

Q/A post patch: Yea, we completely disabled the protection for now, we will enable it next week.

Players after QA: Let's talk Linkedin...

First of all, thank you for the transcript, I don't like discord much so don't bother with it. So it is nice to have the conversation here.

Thanks go to the player 'Chargent' for his work in this.

The thing I would take away from this and possibly bring me back earlier to DU, is a creative mode. The game seems to me to be ideally suited to that, so hopefully that will come.

Other than that, I'm eating a burger. ;)

Yes thanks for the transcript, for me it is hard to find RL time to pop in discord whenever and my schedule never meshes with them.

Change the way you advertise the game NQ. What I am seeing here is nothing like the imagery or web site promises I saw. The only excuse given is that "it takes time", and this is given as a sort of catchphrase for several current issues such as PvP, Dev Diaires, Mining Units, and many, many other topics.

Any long time gamer isn't an idiot, of course it takes time, all this is telling me is that this game was released waayyy to early. This is still a very obvious Alpha game and it looks nothing like the grandiose vision JC has painted above. I see ore replanting, server wipes, bot market manipulation mapped out and while not directly stated in some cases, most definitely hinted at and I do not feel like starting over again with some job-like tedium grind everytime a major patch drops like this latest one. I would still be playing WOW if that was my cup of tea.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, OverLordByron said:

Is it just me or do the responses seem to show frustration, with just a hint of resentment? Each answer seems to show an increasing level of anger, like he's mad at the players for what they've done with his game. ?

Aw, that's certainly not the case. :) I was on voice while he answered each question - there was no anger present at all.

We were all a bit anxious given the new Discord AMA format we were trying out, so perhaps that's what you're picking up on. Otherwise, please be mindful that JC's first language is not English. Some things may sound more 'blunt' as a result, but he appreciates players more than anything. Never hesitate to ask for clarification if you're unsure!

On 12/12/2020 at 8:18 PM, Deintus said:

Yes thanks for the transcript, for me it is hard to find RL time to pop in discord whenever and my schedule never meshes with them.

Change the way you advertise the game NQ. What I am seeing here is nothing like the imagery or web site promises I saw. The only excuse given is that "it takes time", and this is given as a sort of catchphrase for several current issues such as PvP, Dev Diaires, Mining Units, and many, many other topics.

Any long time gamer isn't an idiot, of course it takes time, all this is telling me is that this game was released waayyy to early. This is still a very obvious Alpha game and it looks nothing like the grandiose vision JC has painted above. I see ore replanting, server wipes, bot market manipulation mapped out and while not directly stated in some cases, most definitely hinted at and I do not feel like starting over again with some job-like tedium grind everytime a major patch drops like this latest one. I would still be playing WOW if that was my cup of tea.

You're welcome! I like having things on the forums, too.

Thank you for the feedback on our general messaging. I understand that "soon" and "it takes time" are a bit of a meme these days!

In a perfect world, how would you like to be communicated with when we aren't able to share a definitive date but still want you to know that certain things are looming on the horizon?

On 12/11/2020 at 6:30 PM, GraXXoR said:

That figures.

He was teasing. :) He's not actually going to show up to a player PvP event purposely overpowered.

42 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

You're welcome! I like having things on the forums, too.

Thank you for the feedback on our general messaging. I understand that "soon" and "it takes time" are a bit of a meme these days!

In a perfect world, how would you like to be communicated with when we aren't able to share a definitive date but still want you to know that certain things are looming on the horizon?

Since the current methods are limited for the site, The first would be a complete disclosure and update on the main site https://www.dualuniverse.game/

On game startup. Have an up to the minute (as possible, with current people who handle the news/discord already) list of gaming information on the game launcher itself. Many games do this so that if you play the game, you see the change.

Having an email subscription option would be nice, essentially a bi-weekly or monthly letter emailed to subscribers with latest and newest information. Ingame org drama could be a filler if no news is forthcoming.

Of course the update on the forums.

And a discord announcement wouldn't hurt just before major drops. Most likely I am missing everything released on the game, as demonstrated elsewhere, somethings like patch notes do not get seen by me when they are seemingly buried. So everyone here may already know how to get discord announcements.

*EDIT - I personally think that Elite Dangerous Launcher is a great example with what I am thinking.

5 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

He was teasing. :) He's not actually going to show up to a player PvP event purposely overpowered.

I’m quite aware . Lol. Thanks. It was just the fact that this was not a very jokey thread at that point in time. ?