The near-term potentials with schematics.

Penwith

As I continue to ponder and consider the long-term ramifications of the patch, and how it directly affects game play for beginning players (which I will state as lasting as long as a month, depending on the frequency and extent of their play sessions), it would likely be a very good idea to have a few different options for schematics, which would be in addition to the post-.23 mechanics.

These, of course, would be limited to t1, maybe t2, but I think there's something to be said for making them available.

1) Single-Use schematics. These would help new players, but also a little more established players who are still finding their feet in the game and who have not yet fully committed to a career as an industrialist. The schematics for these would cost about 10% of the cost for a full schematic, and not benefit from any of the industry/crafting talents the player might possess. With this, people would have an option do work with the industry side of things before making their long-term play-style decisions.

2) Package deals. These should be limited to a one-time purchase only, but for each. I suggest 3 different themed packaged deals, centering around taking the starter speeder to a space-capable flyer, ground facility construction, and storage (S-sized containers). With these, beginning players would have the opportunity to "test the waters" on how industry works, beyond the very brief tutorials, and immediately improve their circumstances as a new player. More established players could use them, in the short-term, to ever so slightly buff their current production capabilities following the trauma of the patch's power-down switch.

3) Game events that give all players the chance to discover a small cache of schematics or purchase rare schematics that are one-use. I can see a a lucky event participant coming across a rare t5 weapon schematic, trying to decide whether to sell it for an easy 200million or holding on to it for when creating a pvp purposed ship.

3 minutes ago, laicheeeee said:

good stuff, although I am not sure I get why anyone would want a 1-use schematic.

as for 3) i guess you would get a list of schematics required to manufacture the final product, right?

Single use, because it would be a LOT cheaper than a full-use schematic, and this would allow for some industrialists to do one-off production runs, but would not be efficient (since talents would not apply).

My intent with 3 was to provide the schematic for the usable element, not the parts that went into its creation. If enough of these special event schematics were out there, then people could play the markets with them, trying to either complete the set (of those schematics needed to create the end product) or sell what they do have, in order to create cash for themselves.

Again, the long-term efficiency and ultimately market prices of goods would be more based on the economies of scale and efficiency found through the full-use schematics, but finding a bargain here and there from one-use schematics could and should be a thing.

This last part is especially true since NQ would know exactly how many one-use schematics they seeded in the events and could track them as they are used. This is no more game breaking for markets than finding a wreck and pulling expensive elements off of that, so it should be acceptable to most everyone.

8 hours ago, HellToupee said:

we have 1 use schematics, its just condensed down to buying the finished product which is cheaper than 10% of schematic price

At the moment only. Depending on how players go, things could easily change. Also, the 10% was just an example only, it could be 1% for all I care.

I am and was more looking at new players who need a have a chance to get their feet wet with various aspects of the game, for less cost.

Also, 1-use schematics received as rewards have zero volume and mass, making them easily transportable and better for folks to deal with than trying to fit larger and heavier items into our pockets or cramped storage containers (which is usually a big problem for the average starting player).