Why the hate on Solo Builders?

UnderVerse

I keep seeing posts. comments, and people inferring that solo playing is unwanted, frowned upon, etc. WHY? I'm retired, I play 12 to 16 hours a day, i love building, i even have a youtube for stuff i build in games. i prefer to do it myself and not have to rely on someone else. It's a survival type game right? so that means ideally that you need to rely on yourself to do things, right? i get the organizations, i understand that. but i want to live by my rules and crash my own ships not have someone else do that and leave me the repair bill, etc. i sell and buy from market a lot as a new solo player, (err um..used too). the game should be for anyone and everyone.

• 2 months later...

I think JC was pissed off that the goal that “challenging game” which would take “potentially months to reach the stars” was effectively completed by someone who got to space in, iirc 15 minutes. 

this is a miscalculation of a factor of 5760.... (15 mins vs 2 months —   60 x 96)

so he has erected multiple barriers to slow things down. One being the requirement for cooperation. 

I think people comment that when some solo players whine about it being too hard or not fair because they can't compete with orgs, as if. The silent majority of solo players are carrying on happily I think.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:32 PM, Monk_NL said:

NQ advertised that this game would be for anyone and everyone.

I actually remember them saying the opposite. Besides I don't think a game for everyone is possible.

@UnderVerse, good question.

As one of people who sometimes goes agressive on "retired solos" or players in similiar time wealth, I'll try to explain.

Generaly, I'm strongly for diversity and place for everyone in game (who interested in its wider concept). I believe its not even possible, but desirable and hate this argument "not your game". Even will be first to fight here with fury, if some old timer (or not so old), who just want to grind and build in peace someway unjustly deprived of his pursuit of happyness by bad disign or bad people using this bad disign. 

Yet.

I hate, when such guys go sort of "wolf in sheep skin".

Per example.

Lets say game have some feature, that considered unbearable grindy for majority of people and beg devs to change it, so they can have some fun a last.

At this moment our "retired solo" (or someone of same situation) appears and states - NO! Its totaly ok and  balanced. Keep it and make even harder! Don't listen this whiners. Because I have this 12-16 hours in day every day, I play since Dinosaur times of pre-pre-pre-alpha, already grinded 1000 boxes of stuff and interested in grinding next 10 years.

Its even more intolerable, when such guys percieve themelves not just as humble builders, but as great traders or so called industrialists -- they act even more obnoxious and even more loaded with greed and self-importance. 

Such people have my black mark of sorts.

• 5 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, le_souriceau said:

@UnderVerse, good question.

As one of people who sometimes goes agressive on "retired solos" or players in similiar time wealth, I'll try to explain.

Generaly, I'm strongly for diversity and place for everyone in game (who interested in its wider concept). I believe its not even possible, but desirable and hate this argument "not your game". Even will be first to fight here with fury, if some old timer (or not so old), who just want to grind and build in peace someway unjustly deprived of his pursuit of happyness by bad disign or bad people using this bad disign. 

Yet.

I hate, when such guys go sort of "wolf in sheep skin".

Per example.

Lets say game have some feature, that considered unbearable grindy for majority of people and beg devs to change it, so they can have some fun a last.

At this moment our "retired solo" (or someone of same situation) appears and states - NO! Its totaly ok and  balanced. Keep it and make even harder! Don't listen this whiners. Because I have this 12-16 hours in day every day, I play since Dinosaur times of pre-pre-pre-alpha, already grinded 1000 boxes of stuff and interested in grinding next 10 years.

Its even more intolerable, when such guys percieve themelves not just as humble builders, but as great traders or so called industrialists -- they act even more obnoxious and even more loaded with greed and self-importance. 

Such people have my black mark of sorf i

fi feel like that argument is the same for orgs /grouporiented players. They also blindly defend their favoured niche in the game no matter how it hinders the game flow.

This game wants us to build a company. Do that in real-life and you'll know how hard it is to work with people (even with your own relatives)! The lesson is it's not easy to work with people! 

My proposal is to let the people build solo and let them become a proprietor themselves. If they need to work with people, they will enter into a proprietor-to-proprietor partnership agreement informally, and with the wall. I own this and it will be on my name because I own this; you own that and it will be on your name because you own that. The wall is right there! That is the most basic way of working with people without the disputes, commitment, and inequity that we are incapable of solving. How can a group settle this problem? You got a court? We don't even have a player-driven reputation system because we are incompetent idiots! And now you want us dumb apes to build a company? We can't settle the problems so I need protection! It's simple: name what I own under my avatar and not under an org. An org doesn't exists physically, so who has power to set rights? The legates have power to issue privilege! (not rights, as it is not the same thing) So do you think I'm this stupid and I will just join an org knowing the risk? 

The problem is this is designed to be a player-driven free-for-all group-oriented game with no way to protect individual interests! 

This is not a game for me. They wanted to offer an unlimited game and it turned out to be an anarchy! That is what a free-for-all game is! I prefer limiting the game to bring some order to it! Leave it all player-driven? That is anarchy, and it will only end up as such, because we are incompetent!

So yeah, we set the ambition too high and we gonna limit the game! 

• 2 months later...

Let's take a look at the DualUniverse website:

Ten thousand years after a neutron star collision destroyed Earth,

you and countless others awake from cryosleep in an unknown

galaxy. You are settlers in this distant land, and your goal is to rebuild

society in this brand-new solar system. Make your mark in this new

universe by playing whatever role you wish. Your role is not defined by

a character class, but by the choices you make.

or here: 

Where some may look out and see a vast nothingness,

builders see nothing but endless possibilities. With a wide

array of tools and materials at their disposal, they are able

to create intricate designs, everything from high-tech

industrial complexes to adrenaline-inducing race tracks to

ships of all shapes and sizes for production, hauling, and

exploration. Imagination is their only limit.

Not every Novean wants or needs to fight, preferring to stick close to safe zones where they can go about their lives undeterred. But there are others in the far reaches. The lone wolf lying in wait. A tight-knit band of pirates with watchful eyes. The organization’s loyal enforcers on high. All looking for a good fight, guns at the ready, the thrill of engagement keeps their blood pumping.

The game does not impose any rules, each player can play what he or she wants. No matter whether solo, small groups or powerful alliance structures. It is also understandable that players who work together on goals can also achieve them more quickly than solo players. The point here is "faster", not generally possible or not possible, because a solo player can also achieve everything in the game, even setting up a warp beacon line.

In the end, we players all sit in the same sandbox to have fun, even if everyone wants to define fun differently. There should only be one rule, which is: everything is allowed as long as it promotes everyone's fun, because it's only fun until someone starts crying.