Post patch hitbox vs. core sizes

So now that the patch notes are officially out - specifically that the % chance to hit now goes off angle and cross section (awesome change, thank you NQ) and weapons can only be fitted on a ship with the same size core or lower (also awesome change, thank you NQ) - I would like to query a very important question which got left out of the equation:

What is the disadvantage to having an L core on literally every ship? Say you have an S or an M ship (XL ok, trying to fit an L core will be pushing it) - what would be the disadvantage to simply not copying that exact ship onto an L core? You get the advantage of the core having more HP, the ability to use larger weapons, and your cross section and chance to be hit (and also locked) remains the same. What would be the cons vs. pros of doing this? Please don't say "durr it's going to cost more to make an L core" - that's not a valid argument when it comes to mega corps and pvp focused groups.

Am I missing something or are XS - M cores now basically practically worthless and obsolete if you plan to fly somewhere where you can get shot?

10 hours ago, Walter said:

Well too late now it's out. Yes, the only drawback is that if you make a very small L ship it does not have too much hull or elements to sponge incoming dmg.

I mean it's not a great secret - literally the first thing that comes to mind reading through the changes. 

While I agree that it seems like the ideal meta and its not the optimal solution, I think it is better than what we had, as there are some drawbacks to it.  Large Cores (the element) are very big and very heavy, which will reduce the usable volume and the mass budget of a "small L ship".  Also, they are VERY expensive now, and if it gets destroyed you have to entirely replace it.

They need to balance the weapons themselves, L weapons just shouldn't be effective vs small ships, so while small L core ship should be effective against a large L core ship it should then be countered by small ships that can close range and it having densely packed elements should then face damage dealth out of preportion to the resource investment of the smaller ships.