DU is Worlds Adrift all over ?

blazemonger

A friend made this observation.. I could not have said it better:

I played World's Adrift (MMO, exploration, building). Also developed by an adventurous but ultimately naïve development team. They got buried by technical debt and costly servers.

If you have played for 3 years like the rest of us, you should know that the negativity is frustration about the NQ development process, ignoring user feedback and then having to watch them back-peddle with quick-fixes that degrade the overall progress.

Or in other words, the complete opposite of what NQ promised the process would be like in the Kickstarter campaign.

As far as I can see this thread is not about 0.23 specifically, but more about the game in general.

A recurring source of frustration has always been the method and timing of how NQ introduce changes/features. And how they don't seem to look at the overall picture when doing so. And in this regard 0.23 is opening old wounds. So it is more a case of "yes the finished game will probably need this feature, but why are you now doing this half done implementation that lacks a foundation in other parts of the game and will need a complete redesign later?"  thing that NQ keeps doing over and over.

DU is not lacking grind, it is lacking content.

20 minutes ago, UnclePaulie said:

See how that works? Anyone can claim "oh community this". But me and all my friends are pumped for this patch. And we pay and play this game.  So we are the community. Which means NQ is listening to the community, and I commend them for it.

Careful, your actual identity is showing even when you are using a new alt account to hide it. It's always interesting when ppl are afraid to show their face when they start talking nonsense.

8 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

As far as I can see this thread is not about 0.23 specifically, but more about the game in general.

Indeed, it is about NQ not learning anything from past mistakes and continuing on a path of naïve and ill considered short sighted choices.

DU remains a game of much potential, but more and more NQ is hollowing out that promise, exactly like the devs for Worlds Adrift did. And we know how that ended.

It's even worse than that imho

JC said it himself after he rambled on about why you shouldn't build a factory for 10 items (which he has a point): that players need money to buy them in the first place and he himself said that the only means to generate money is: go mine, log in daily or participate in the markets (tho this doesn't generate money, only shifts it). And that DU "needs more ways to generate money in the future. At some point.....someday....add more options to generate money a fun way....."

So THEY KNOWINGLY implemented a system where THEY KNOW ppl need money to even get the elements now but those mechanics "may be implemented in the future". See why this is a problem? Maybe it would be better to implement such mechanics FIRST and THEN go for an overhaul of indy balancing - might be the better approach

1 hour ago, UnclePaulie said:

You're one of the biggest cry babies here. This new patch is awesome. So many people are excited for it. Ships and elements blowing up, whether to pvp or crashing, is good for the game.  I've messaged these patch notes to people who have quit DU to it being "boring" and are actually excited to come back and test this out, and test new pvp changes. 

I bit problem I see is people probably flying out of their means. Dont fly what you cant afford to lose. Haulers in eve usually arent flying freighters 3 months in.

I wonder how returning players and new ppl can test the pvp changes? In XS ships with XS weapons ? :)

5 hours ago, Lethys said:

It's even worse than that imho

JC said it himself after he rambled on about why you shouldn't build a factory for 10 items (which he has a point): that players need money to buy them in the first place and he himself said that the only means to generate money is: go mine, log in daily or participate in the markets (tho this doesn't generate money, only shifts it). And that DU "needs more ways to generate money in the future. At some point.....someday....add more options to generate money a fun way....."

So THEY KNOWINGLY implemented a system where THEY KNOW ppl need money to even get the elements now but those mechanics "may be implemented in the future". See why this is a problem? Maybe it would be better to implement such mechanics FIRST and THEN go for an overhaul of indy balancing - might be the better approach

I find it funny that this changes are made to force player to cooperate but the market (which apparently is the core structure of a civilization) is run by bots. 

Why do we need bots in the first place? Why can't we just research/craft/sell schematics by ourselves? Isn't that what NQ wanted in the first place, a players driven economy?

Also, I have 0 interest in markets, I love building, now that I need to trade in order to be able to build how am I supposed to catch up with those who took advantage of the bot orders and generated billions out of nowhere?

You might say "go mine", but mining have now become the most dangerous thing I could do atm, because as a builder if I crash my M ship now (for whatever reason) there's no way I can go back on my feet in a reasonable amount of time. To my understanding of the upcoming patch I won't be able to (at least not immediately) smelt mid tier ores and craft mid tier scrap (which is essential to repair bigger ships), replacing broken element is a dream because of lack of wealth, and last but not least, fuels? 

Will I be forced to go back to my S core 100t ship because, you know, reasons?

I am maybe overreacting, but this might seriously be the end of my DU experience.

9 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

Why do we need bots in the first place? Why can't we just research/craft/sell schematics by ourselves?

If there was no bots, where would the money to buy products from other players come from? The 100.000 a day fund? Let time I checked it is not possible for players to print money.

55 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

If there was no bots, where would the money to buy products from other players come from? The 100.000 a day fund? Let time I checked it is not possible for players to print money.

100k for everyone everyday is more than enough to run the whole economy. We might also guess that schematics having high prices is simply a money sink, supposing that there are too much quantas around.

On 12/9/2020 at 6:43 PM, Fra119 said:

You might say "go mine", but mining have now become the most dangerous thing I could do atm, because as a builder if I crash my M ship now (for whatever reason) there's no way I can go back on my feet in a reasonable amount of time. To my understanding of the upcoming patch I won't be able to (at least not immediately) smelt mid tier ores and craft mid tier scrap (which is essential to repair bigger ships), replacing broken element is a dream because of lack of wealth, and last but not least, fuels? 

Will I be forced to go back to my S core 100t ship because, you know, reasons?

That is exactly what is happening in hindsight 

On 12/9/2020 at 5:14 PM, Fra119 said:

100k for everyone everyday is more than enough to run the whole economy.

You're right, at 100k per day it'd only take an organisation of 80 people four years to save up enough cash that way for some of the more expensive schematics. You know, the ones that are in the billions. Assuming that they don't buy anything else in the mean time. That's realistic of a real economy with relatable prices. You don't need to do any mining for the bots. Good thing only our weak, feeble, real-life human bodies need to eat and take bio-breaks... just imagine if your character had to buy food too.