Build Mode: DEL should send selected Elements to Inventory

Doc_McStabbins

IDEA: When you are in Build Mode, if you have the "Select Element" tool equipped, and you select an element, then the DEL key should send it to your inventory (or linked container). 

WHY: Because there is currently no intuitive way to send a placed element back to your inventory. Also, because if you have the "Select Voxel" tool equipped, and you select an element, then the DEL key already sends those honeycombs or whatever voxels back into your inventory (or container). Matching this convention with "Select Element" equipped makes intuitive sense.

WORKAROUND: If you can't map DEL to do that, then perhaps you could add a line in the default HUD menu that says whatever key it is to send an element back to inventory.

I'd say the ALT-click method used throughout the game to undo the action using just click is one of the most consistent UX implementations in the game. DEL would delete the element logically, not return it to you selected storage.

And actually, the H key will pop up keybinds relevant to the action you are taking

15 hours ago, blazemonger said:

I'd say the ALT-click method used throughout the game to undo the action using just click is one of the most consistent UX implementations in the game. DEL would delete the element logically, not return it to you selected storage.

And actually, the H key will pop up keybinds relevant to the action you are taking

Okay, so, a few responses here, now that I had some time to play the game with what you said in mind.

1. I totally had no idea about the ALT-Click thing. That is awesome, though it needs to be a lot better "advertised" in the help popup or interface.

2. It seems to work for everything except a core. I could not re-take the core for some reason, and had to destroy it.

3. There needs to be a way to easily select and ALT-click multiple elements.

4. The DEL-key still should perform the same function in "Elements" as it does in "Voxels" when you are in the select tool.

5. Again, thank you for pointing out the ALT-Click thing, which I had no idea existed, and I've played at least 20-40 hours on this game so far, paying attention to the tutorials, and carefully looking at menus, going back, and trying again. If it was brought up previously, even repeatedly, whatever method was being used to convey this ALT-Click effect was not effective on me. Perhaps if it were added to that little menu at the top right-of-center that normally only has about 3 items in it, one of which is almost always H. Something like "ALT-Click to Remove"

no problem, the ALT click is explained in the building tutorial.

If you can't pickup a core it will tell you why, often it is because there is still voxels or elements linke (the core needs to be "empty" to be picked up) and you pick up the core by alt clicking the deploy ground element tool, not in build mode