Playerbase numbers

Freaknasteh

I got banned in the Discord chat for asking this question so i figured i would ask it here. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the current player base? or something to the effect of how many people play on a daily basis? I know some games put those numbers out there. Just wondering if they are available.

Numbers are relativly "humble", this why NQ obviously defensive-agressive such kind of questions. And will not show any numbers, its probably strictly classified internal info.

Yet we have some inderect metrics.

> sanct tile claims;

> NQ Twich streams viewers (also Twich numbers shows external interest to game) 

> some other more dodgy/complicated things in game and out, that give you "feel" and info snippets about how dead or alive it is.

Anyway.. the last number we know were from the first week after beta went live and hovered around 3500 concurrent logins. At the time someone actually found an API which NQ left exposed which shows both the login number and the queue number. Needles to say, NQ closed that API very quickly.

So they have the option to tell us and show us but choose not to. You can think of that what you want.

40 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

My base is close to District 6, and I am definitively noticing less traffic.

Some one dropped an unflushable at District 6. The entire area is being evacuated in preparations for a massive gamma burst to clear the pipes.

But do not worried it is only dangerous if you look at the explosion, do not look.

I think it would help if they fixed the issues in the tutorial to help retain new players.

I am very interested in this game so i have been perserveering with the problems. I understand this is beta and this is to be expected, but the thing is I think most people will just think.. I'll come and try in a month or year etc.

I have been struggling all week with it because I had previously started out, got all the parts, went to sanctuary and due to work and RL issues didn't come back again for over a month.

I respawned to refresh my memory (wanted to start again) to find that I could not get the parts again (already claimed) even though I did not have them any more. Started buying parts on the market but lots of game crashes.

A solid tutorial will be important for new players who do not want to trawl YouTube videos for hours on end trying to work out what to do.

So much potential though so i will keep perserveering, other new players may not who are in a similar situation.

I have no numbers for you to read ingame. But what I do have is the popularity on twitch. I have made it my task to post the twitch metrics in our discord every Thursday since the release. 

Why Thursday, you ask yourself? DU started on 27 August this year. That was a Thursday.

To write a short reply:
Not a single week has the average number of viewers or live channels increased. No, they have fallen every week.

To put that in numbers:
- Of the initial ~1000 average viewers, 50% were already gone by October 4th.  
- 300 average viewers on 25 October
- 175 average viewers on 26 November

Average live channels at release: 10
Being a few weeks: Only 4

3 December:
132 average viewers
4 average live channels

Today, 9 December (Yes, I know it is not yet Thursday):
118 average viewers
4 average live channels

I get my info from here since release:
https://www.twitchmetrics.net/g/493826-dual-universe

Also, the numbers on the update live stream were pretty low at around 840'ish tops. SE had an update a week or so ago and got around 4000 viewers and that wasn't really anything major.

I just don't think they have the player numbers, they need to keep pvp players happy, not just voxel creators. Pvp will be the only thing that will keep DU online for any length of time (just imo).

I wish them luck though.

1 hour ago, Triopalite said:

... they need to keep pvp players happy, not just voxel creators. Pvp will be the only thing that will keep DU online for any length of time (just imo).

Yes, almost stolen my thought.

Fanatical voxelmancers are minority, that was kinda overpresented in boring years of Alpha (because not much to do for everyone else). While I love these guys, they are not future of game in terms of population health and sustainabiliy. Healthy core of PvP players (even if small by industry standards, because game is seriously niche) mixed with decent renewable ammount of solo/small group PvE folk who fool around different ways (beyond voxelmancy) -- best hope of this game.

4 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

I have no numbers for you to read ingame. But what I do have is the popularity on twitch. I have made it my task to post the twitch metrics in our discord every Thursday since the release. 

let's be honest here, DU is extremely boring to watch on twitch, even if i love playing the game, i would never watch someone else do it, way to slow and no action.

There were a good number of very entertaining streamers playing DU.. statistics also show DU is holding up very well against similar games. Several streamers will now move away from DU though as the changes in this patch actually remove most of the good stuff for streamers..

10 hours ago, Bobbie said:

People have been parking ships at districts with Lua boards that are automatically triggered by nearby players, presumably for data logging purposes.

Anyone who feels so inclined could do the same thing, to get an indication of player activity at various places and log the traffic trend.

That's a good idea. A logger at each District market would give a good idea of user traffic trends.

33 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Then again, who cares... Play the game if you like it, don't play it if you don't. Only herds care about trends and numbers, plus they tend to be self-reinforcing. So I wouldn't place too much importance on them, except for NQ to decide on viable strategies to survive.

Not entirely true... Most people don't want to invest in something they perceive as dying.

32 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Sure I get that. But people "perceive" all kinds of things. They may perceive DU as dying and still be wrong about it. Let's not pretend that we actually know anything.

The only thing you can be sure of is that our perceptions tend to be self-fulfilling, especially in economics.

If the world changes, it's because people's perceptions change, not the other way around. And if the world refuses to change, it's because people's perceptions refuse to change. We do it all to ourselves, but only all the time.

Incidentally, that's why the game isn't ready...

True.. But optics are everything in today's twisted, shallow post-truth alternative-fact ME FIRST world.

I'd also point out that their reddit is fairly tiny with <8,000 members and less than 100 online at any time. That's fairly unimpressive even relative to single payer games. 

DU is a niche game that won't appeal to everyone even in the best of circumstances, but the player base should be growing. 

No one knows if DU is "dying" because NQ's financials aren't so obvious. All those people that joined beta and fled after a day still ponied up $20.00 at a minimum to try to the game. Plenty of them bought into the concept hard and purchased a full year. 

NQ is still running ads. They are still getting new players. They definitely aren't retaining many of those players, but that's still $20.00 in their pockets.

Even if DU isn't gaining players, NQ can remain "successful" as a company by "boldly" marketing a broken product -- and using Xsolla to make cancellations and refunds difficult. I won't say it is vaporware, but if a similar strategy works to keep the lights on...