[Discussion] DevBlog: Rebalancing the Universe

NQ-Naunet

One of the most troubling aspects of patches and any maintenance is the communication between NQ and the community. This last patch has created such chaos that it is a warzone in the Discord help channel. Communication between the various levels of NQ staff seems to be lacking as well. Like it or not, at the end of the day, no matter how good or how bad the day is.... management is to blame. The military taught me three important points of action... SHOOT, MOVE, and COMMUNICATE. Communication is the most important of those three, it controls so many variables of the other two. You need to know how to move and where to shoot. Translated to this application it would mean communicating a clear and concise point of action, moving toward that goal decisively, and 'shooting' or executing that action. 

The front line staff such as NQ-Wokk, NQ-Blacksun, NQ-Stargazer, and so many others work hard to tackle issues that are popping up after these seemingly bungled patches. A lot of times their answer has to be generic, sometimes they may go out on a limb, and only then because of management seems to hinder their abilities to resolve issues. My suggestion is, relax those rules for these frontline employees because they are keeping a lot of people from up and leaving. 

The "Keep the 'port' in support" has put a stranglehold on your front line staff. I understand why it was implemented, there was a broad abuse of TP and repair as well as taxing the front line staff to execute it. But those ships that they could save, which are destroyed by bugs in the game, a lack of optimization, and 'advancements' in gameplay through patches such as this one (which is HORRIBLE performance wise) could prevent a mass exodus of the player base. 

I suggest the following after spinning the narrative up to this:

1. Work, and I mean WORK, on communication between the different departments and levels of staff. Your goal should be to ensure, 100%, of information regarding issues cropping up after patches are transferred to your front line staff AND posted as announcements in the DISCORD. So that the information players, who are just as important as any executive or manager at NQ receive that information and can understand that information WITH timelines to resolution. I see it day in and day out, players want to know a timeline. They do deserve one, they are 'working hard' on their dream within your 'dream'. 

2. Establish roundtables between the Devs and the community. Let some of the community members have a say in how this progresses going forward. I am sure that JC is as sharp as a tack intelligence wise, but this is not just HIS game. That is the feeling I get when I watch him and read the notes and meetings. He has an end goal, it is ambitious, it seems wonderful, but so far the path to getting there is a digital 'Trail of Tears'. 

While he and others may have timelines to adhere to, it is all for naught if he is being forced by some higher entity due to greed at any level. EA has destroyed more than I have ever wanted to see in the gaming industry with rampant greed. Do NOT follow that business model. Allow some of the community, selected through either an applicative means to find some of the sharpest members of the community (there are some truly brilliant members that I have seen) and some of the analytic members which act as buffers to brilliance sometimes AND/OR through random selection through applications taken from the community. You could easily compensate those selected through some meaningless code such as a special title, skins, it does not have to be based on anything which is of monetary value in game or out. 

3. Back to communications... some of the tooltips in this game are... well, TRASH. I do not know if it is something lost in translation of languages, a lack of thorough planning and execution, constraints by timelines and deadlines, or any other means... but NQ has to improve their communication on their in game assets. I have witnessed the rage when someone has purchased a honeycomb schematic for exorbitant prices when they wanted to purchase the refined schematic. The wording of the items is horrid. Might I suggest tabs to break it down to the industry element that uses it, material, etc.  (ie. STEEL-Honeycomb Refinery, STEEL- Smelter)

Another good example of communicative sacrilege is the fact that a lot of us were shorted talent points... it took a player crying out about it to start the momentum to GET the information from NQ management... front line workers were thrown under the bus and repeated ran over as if it were a NASCAR or Formula 1 event.

You also need a COMPLAINT channel in DISCORD. The help channel gets too many people coming into it just to complain. It only causes helping others to be less effective due to chat scrolling. Here is after this maintenance. (minus names and times)

1. Restored old behavior with large mega-nodes showing up on territory and mining scanners again

does this mean i have to go rescan 100 territories to see if they actually have mega nodes now ?

2.  yes

as this game is trying to drag everything out over the most time possible it should be  1  active scanner per player at a time(edited)

3.  please kill me now

4  .Did talents get refunded again or just that one time yesterday?

5.  before this patch my ship was fine , now I log in and my core is broken, wtf.

6.  thats jc wiping

NEW

3. Patches - Stop the kneejerk reactions, engage the communications venue, and stop seemingly compounding the work for devs and front line staff members. If you break something with a patch, instead of TESTING this thoroughly, the flood of tickets coming through the pipe only exacerbates wait times for the community as a whole. RELAX the restrictions of TP's and repairs until you have some semblance of normalcy after patches. If you post we are having a maintenance, even if it is in an hour... some people will be flying through space without warp drives, I was one of them at one time. I took a nap once during the journey even which was more than 3 hours long.... but I got there. Now, you try that and a maintenance rolls up... we see cores destroyed, ships spinning out of control and crashing, HUGE lad spikes for some causing overcorrection and crash, and they are sitting there with their thumbs sizing their rectums because the "TEAM" has to review each and every ticket. That's counter productive.... One fellow posted a video of his ship suddenly spinning out of control, his fighting to control, followed by an impressive nose first crash.... the reply from help... Please file a ticket and let the team review it.... 

Changes in calculations, without informing players in the community, is a crime in my opinion. Seems people are busting their landing gear while landing now, they cannot dock their ships which compounds this through the efforts. If you change something... get it out there so the community, which is equal to any manager or executive, knows. 

4. Mechanics - this whole space thing as far as a derelict flying through space uninhibited is a great idea! Realism... until something that NQ has done through patches has caused the derelict in the first place. Fellow came into the help chat and asked that his ship be returned, TP'ed, to his base. Of course, keep the port in support took effect, I suggested that someone fly him to his ship so he could snag it with the 'build mode' or maneuver (changes made this null), or possibly fetch (changes have made this null). Of course, this is what I would do if it was my ship. The part that was not communicated was that his ship was at a speed of 5000 km/h... sort of takes the build too lout of the equation doesn't it. Now, his ship, and quite a few others, are at the mercy of a 'team' that is getting swamped with work while management  must be enjoying fine coffee and croissants. Leads back into the release the stranglehold on your front line folks so they can make some judgement calls. Have a ticket submitted, with logs, to verify the instance... and a stern warning to anyone trying to exploit it that if it is discovered they are cheating the system, they will be penalized. Let the front line staff stop the stupidity and madness... let them do some teleports, repairs, get the players back to playing instead of fighting the system... They grief the front line staff over things that management  is responsible for. You get your logs, the team can review, cheaters get banhammered, and players get to play. It should be a win. When you get your act together, then go back to stricter rules on tp's and repairs. 

Consider this part one of a series which could end as large as War and Peace, but with war and not peace.

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

I started playing the game as a Space sandbox, building ships exploring and alike, now  the driving goal is just to make currency in the game. This is just boring as hell and will dictate anyones playstyle. If you can't afford an item you can't have it, so you grind, eventually make something and try to sell it, if it doesn't sell your screwed. Analzye the market you say? What fun!

As for being 'supposed' to do something, where does it say that? Where does it say that Omni factories don't belong in the game if someone wants them? This just makes it a more linear experience, step 1. Do this, Step 2. Do this etc  and a boring grindfest playing the markets which are going to be completely controlled by larger Orgs either scalping high prices or undercutting smaller crafters because they have a surplus of elements.  So much for the Sandbox idea and 'Dream it, Build it'. 

Dang.  That's twice now I have to fully support Majestic's comments.  That just goes to show how bad off things are...

I have to agree with several of the posters here - this game is not turning out to be in the bill of goods we were sold.  The sandbox elements are being replaced with a much more hard core economic model which definitely appeals to some (look to Eve which I also played for many years) but, honestly, I already have a job which pays better and is more fun than this is to play so *why would I keep paying a subscription* for a less fun job?

So, this my concrete feedback is for the devs:
* If you are eliminating the sandbox-ness - that is, the ability for people to be able to *largely* produce at least some level of ships and bases entirely on their own or within a small group for fun - then explicitly come out and say so, and make it clear in your marketing literature.  It was not clear to me when I signed up, and obviously it was not clear to many other players, thus the brouhaha.

* Publish a concrete plan for your economy.  This change feels *haphazard* at best, it's so massively disruptive.

* Remove this game from *public* beta.  It isn't ready for that yet.  This is either late alpha or early, private-beta level given the kinds of qualitative changes you are making.  I feel you are unnecessarily risking your consumer base by confusing and disappointing them.

As a fellow game developer, I truly wish you the best of luck, and I'll keep watching but from the sidelines for now.

On 12/7/2020 at 7:13 AM, Elrood said:

Bye, bye self-sufficiency, even with small group. Good thing i got enough hours of the game to not be worried about money i paid for it. 

It was apparent that even after this change that wiped out the little guys, making them unable to make money at all anymore, and making this for them a mining game that you really did not think this out very well. As an example I was watching one of the You Tube creators going in to a market place purchasing anything they needed with almost a full backpack of schematics they still had over 545 MILLION

On 12/7/2020 at 7:13 AM, Elrood said:

Bye, bye self-sufficiency, even with small group. Good thing i got enough hours of the game to not be worried about money i paid for it. 

It was apparent that even after this change that wiped out the little guys, making them unable to make money at all anymore, and making this for them a mining game that you really did not think this out very well. As an example I was watching one of the You Tube creators going in to a market place purchasing anything they needed with almost a full backpack of schematics they still had over 545 MILLION quanta left after purchasing 6 schematics for warp cells. This guys org is not that big either, so all you just did was make the rich much richer. Curse you DEVS!!!!!!!  I had spent 8-12 hours a day (retired) playing this game with a small organization and you just wiped us out literally.  Curse you DEVS!!!!!!   I cant even create a small factory to make containers as the schematics needed would cost me over 100 million to purchase, to be able to possibly get back to a point where the game is playable without having to mine 24/7. CURSE YOU DEVS!!!!!!!  I am sure many other players are feeling the same thing, that they want to play your game as it was or at least a REASONABLE facsimile of what we played before as now the grind is not worth the reward, no where near it!!! That is how games like World of Warcraft and even Eve made if for so long was that even though it was a grind it was worth the tie spent, now this game is NOT EVEN CLOSE.  You think that by the time you release this that people will still be playing, Im afraid not, you will ONLY have the gigantic orgs left and no one in between. No middle class whatsover, but I guess you guys are used to that. And then once the game is fully released you will have the overlords of the game that will rule everything in the game, and no place for newly formed orgs to survive!!!!

Edited by Spinnerm101
Addind

Okay  I have some constructive feedback here that might bring more balance back to the game where it does not feel like we are all flying Glass ships.   I am not trying to insult you developers but if really feels like you have no idea  how the game works.   My suggestion is play the game ( without creative / god mode)   It will give you a better idea of  how things are in the game.    I have been around long enough to know your thought process is most likely " I don't have to do that I know the game like the back of my hand"    in Multiple jobs I have had over my life this was the biggest way companies failed.   The leadership does not know how things are, they only have the idea they have developed in their minds. 

1.  Schematics:  I can see that this feature could be very useful in the long game,  However the way its implemented it only serves to alienate EVERY new player.   If you ever want new players to get into the game at some point.   Make all T1 and T2 schematic very inexpensive or even Free.    This will allow new players to get a feel for the game and provide a roadmap for getting the higher tier stuff in the game later.  It will also encourage Exploration if they have to go to the other planets to get these.     
  2. Glass Ships:   Right now we are flying ships around that blow up for no reason or crash when the player is not at fault.   Myself I experienced this when landing  too close to a tiny speeder and my whole ship blew up!!    If you want this mechanic to work my suggestion is that T1-T2 things should be dirt cheap Large Engines should be no more than 100k.   Or the price of an item should have a relationship to the amount of times it can be repaired.    If you had to replace your engine in your car every 3 services I doubt very seriously you would buy from that manufacture.  unfortunately This would be a HUGE improvement to what the game is now!    You used cell phone to compare with the real world we can replace phones batteries, screens cameras, motherboard or any other part as many times as we like for minimal cost.  I have seen people use the same phone for 5 or 6 Years in this way.   It does not make any since to make ships blow up at nothing like they do and cost SOO much.   
  3. Core Units:    I feel like this was put in just so you could roll it back to make it look like you were listening to us.   This is stupid to have them non repairable.   I almost feel like the core of the ship should never be non-repairable as its the CORE of the ship.  This is unless they are so cheap it does not matter!  in that case we can have 100 of them in our inventory or be able to craft them in our packs. 
  4. PVP:   I hate pirates' as much as any PVE player ever would.  however what motivation do they now have to keep playing ?   if they shoot a ship at all they loose profit  most every PVP player I know has just quit the game because they feel like they have not been herd or even considered in some minute way.  

This last bit is just some feedback from me.   

1. To me it seems like the Dev team does not care about make the game better or squashing bugs in the least.   While server stability has gotten better the most annoying bugs in the game still exist today.  Many of them existed when it first opened for beta.   Adjuster lock,  random client crashing, industry deleting parts and pending operations to name a very few.    The only things I have seen You seriously look into is things they feel are "too powerful"  like surrogates  these were at one time so amazing, but now they are completely useless .    The AGG comes to mind here  these are multi-Million investments that are so delicate that most players don't even want now.  Nurfed into oblivion!!! 
  2. Players Like to feel Powerful but right now even with the most expensive components  are only one lag spike away from blowing all the money and time to hell.  Many of us are thinking " then what is the point"   
  3. I am not trying to rag you about the development process however.  it has become blatantly obvious these pates are not tested beyond seeing if it "works the way intended"   In this patch the DRM that was supposed to protect ships.   In reality has let everyone pull blueprints from every ship they owned bought from token or not.  I can only assume this is because no one tested to see what would happen OR  you just did not care. Ether way this is bad!!  

Finishing up,   The game as it was before this patch was almost perfect It kept many of us playing for hours even without sleep to get that next part or make that next ship.   Yes things were a little too easy and it lacked content.   The PVP aspect of it was tacked on core size targeting range was stupid. Even with all these things the game was Fun!!!   Now  It seems that You have just tried to do everting in your power to make people quit, Sucking all the fun out of it and making it more like work  why  ?     All we needed is content  and a few additions to keep players going.  

On 12/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, Majestic said:

You don't have to have LvL 5 but if you want the freedom to craft what you want when you want without having to rely on others then yes you do. With the introduction of uncommon, advanced and rare versions of most elements, people aren't going to spend millions on lower tier schematics just to craft something that no-one will buy so you will need to go for the top end schematics to stand a chance at making the ridiculous amount of currency needed to buy schematics.

Working back up to crafting everything myself will take time yes but it was already taking a huge amount of time mining ores, waiting for production to finish, working out designs around the limited voxel system.  In the last 3-4 months of Beta, playing the way I have( the way I wanted to)I amassed a grand total of 6 million. This will buy nothing and the only alternative now is to buy everything from the markets.  I started playing the game as a Space sandbox, building ships exploring and alike, now  the driving goal is just to make currency in the game. This is just boring as hell and will dictate anyones playstyle. If you can't afford an item you can't have it, so you grind, eventually make something and try to sell it, if it doesn't sell your screwed. Analzye the market you say? What fun!

As for being 'supposed' to do something, where does it say that? Where does it say that Omni factories don't belong in the game if someone wants them? This just makes it a more linear experience, step 1. Do this, Step 2. Do this etc  and a boring grindfest playing the markets which are going to be completely controlled by larger Orgs either scalping high prices or undercutting smaller crafters because they have a surplus of elements.  So much for the Sandbox idea and 'Dream it, Build it'. 

that's the whole point of this game.   of this update.  

nobody.  not you.  not me.  not anyone.  

is supposed to be able to craft anything they want when ever they want.  

the game is designed so that we can BUY everything we want.  when ever we want.  

this is not factorio or satisfactory.   it just has elements of it.  

and what makes you assume nobody will buy them?   i would.  because the normal products are cheaper. 

i can still build my ships as i used to. 

ship parts are pretty much back down to the prices they used to have.   (even warp cells are back down to 10k).  

even the high end items like medium anti grav is back down to 25 million.  

so the 'dream it, build it' part still applies.   just the method of getting the things you need has changed. (well not for me.  since this was already my playstyle to begin with)

On 12/11/2020 at 4:50 PM, battlespork said:

Most of us paid money for a subscription under different impressions. And for the last few months (the entire time I've been playing) crafting anything and everything you want has been part of the game. For most of us that's part of the appeal. Now if the devs want to change that it's perfectly fine, but they, and you, need to understand that they will become subject to the same market forces that they claim they want in their games. Specifically that people will pay for a product that they enjoy, and they wont pay for a product they don't enjoy.

Now it doesn't matter what the original intentions for the game were. The bottom line is that if your customers are demanding something and you ignore them, your customers will leave and give their money to somebody else. If this update is popular then the revenue stream for the game will remain intact, and even grow. If it's unpopular then it will shrink. If it shrinks long enough then the company goes out of business and the game goes away. Shouting at the people paying for a product that they don't understand that they were never intended to enjoy the product the way they were is only going to help push paying customers away.

You also don't seem to understand that the devs are trying to force us to participate in the market without first establishing a good revenue stream. We're a few days into this update and I'm still trying to find ways to interact with the market in a meaningful way. I haven't seen much. If the intent was to be able to manufacture something basic for a little while to generate revenue until we can afford to set ourselves up for more complicated manufacturing then the system is already broken. Basic Pipes are selling for half the cost of the materials to make them. Now I'm not a super savvy market type guy and I haven't put a ton of time into this (I can't, I have real things in the real world I have to do) so it's possible (probable) that I've missed some opportunities. That doesn't change the fundamental problem: lack of a revenue stream.

People don't participate in markets unless they have disposable income. Right now there doesn't seem to be much disposable income, so there isn't going to be much participation in the markets. Right now what I am seeing for myself and hearing from others is that the only people who can really *do* anything in the game are those of us who already had a bunch of "stuff" sitting around and some capital built up. I can afford the schematics I need to make my fuels and honeycombs, which means I can still build a few ships and start flying around. Allowing me to actually buy the schematics I need to make fuels. People who haven't been playing as long are just stuck with nothing to do.

And like has been mentioned ad nauseum there are blockbuster games and expansions coming out right now. Elite Dangerous Odyssey is available for pre order, and already does everything this game claims to be a goal minus the designing your own constructs stuff. Which you claim is not actually supposed to be a thing. Cyberpunk is out. Pissing off your customers is one thing, but pissing them off when there are a bunch of new shiny things on the market to distract them is a *really* bad idea.

The *only* thing that makes this game stand out at all is being able to design and build our own constructs. If that was never supposed to be available for any but the elite few, then why would anyone not just keep playing what was already out there? AGAIN, it does NOT matter what the original intentions were. Not all unintended consequences are bad. If your paying customers really like one of the accidents in the game development, consider it a happy accident and move on. Time will tell, and subscribers will vote with their dollars.

i was one of the guys who bought a bunch of stuff off the market before the update.  so i was down to 4 million.   i have not sold any of those parts yet (and seeing what the prices are doing now i won't sell them either) i am already back up to 20 million.   and that was for 3 hours of my game time in mining.  

so in my oppinion the revenue stream is just perfect.  not too high and not too low.

and like i told the other guy.  i can still build and design all i want as i could before the patch.   some things are more expensive.  some things are not.  

i don't churn out an entire large core build in a single day though.    i'm not that creative or that fast of a builder.   

but the only kind of industry i'd have to set up.  is some honeycomb industry for the blocks i intend to use.  and i can buy all the other stuff.

At this point I don't even want to play amore. I am sure others are the same as me.  When I log in and there is all the barriers to everything!  I cant even afford to fly anything but a speeder because my ship blew up after landing too near a speeder.   There will have to be something significant done to get all of the subs back. 

Most players have lost faith in the devs because there is no guarantee you wont do something even worse next time.     The reaction should have been immediate reverting the game to its original state.  I just fear its too late :(   This is such a shame because it "was" the best game I had ever played.  

I hope to be proved wrong please prove me wrong!   find a way to make it better 

Element destruction is fine.  Number of charges not so much.  Should be 10 and 15.  That way they WILL die eventually but not peanlised for lag, server issues but also encourages still PVP to take place.  3/5 is too small.  

On 12/12/2020 at 8:01 AM, Fembot68 said:

Make all T1 and T2 schematic very inexpensive or even Free.

This would clearly solve many problems.

I think NQ is not fair and honest with us, because some reasons of that change obviously is to reduce server-load. That's why I think they will not make T1/2 affordable again because the original problem would be back immediately, namely server-load. 

The other drama has not yet reached the peak, crashes through no fault of one's own.

In our corpchat I already read from many incidents with fatal outcomes caused by lag, network interrupts server shutdowns whathaveyounot.

Any new player will suffer so hard with his own faults plus those artificial ones.

I'm not expecting them to stay for long in this circumstances. NQ has to do brainstorm work here.

This maj is ... bad for players who don't play in guild/corp

Bye bye solo player

Schematics price is over all I can't spend

I bought everything I could in schematic, but for the uncommon or rare it's impossible.

If the developers wanted the corporations to be less strong, they could hit them instead of hitting the solo players.

I haven't felt the need to post much at all until this schematic change. But I must say this feels ridiculous to go from nothing to these outrageous prices where the only real way to get them is to become a mining bot.

There should have been content ready before this schematic change. Content like, a lot more places to scavenge for loot and possibly find schematics, maybe complete puzzles or treasure hunts with clues or something to find or learn schematics, " quests " maybe. I don't claim to have all the answers but this feels like its being done backwards to a large degree. So much to the point that our little group probably won't be playing until some kind of significant change takes place.

Before this patch was released, I was getting seriously bored with DU. It seemed like there were only three things in the game: mining, industry, and PvP. My experience with PvP in other games has been that gangs of hardcore 60-hour-a-week knuckleheads obsessivey build up their characters and gear and delight in surreptitiously blowing newbies out of the water, over and over again. So, I wasn't really looking forward to that part of the game. However, the industry was interesting. Now, there is a grand total of ONE thing to do in DU: mine all day and all night. Can NQ please acknowledge that the lack of content in the game is unsustainable? If we had other things to DO, like exploring and discovering, we might not mind so much that we can't build our own ships. If NQ's goal is to build a universe designed solely around the desires of hardcore EVE end-gamers, then they will not recruit many players.

Here is a good example of a lapse in communications. I post it here due to the fact the community is still reeling from the issues caused by the .23 patch, my previous post calling out the communications issues, and the continuation of those issues.

image.thumb.png.1ac64384b5b15104fa97d5ffac6ac89b.png

I argue that the Keeping the "PORT" in Support should be relaxed for GM's to be able to repair the carnage caused by such instances without lengthy processes. If a player can submit the ticket, with log files, they should not be have to wait to get back running in game. The ticket and logfiles would be for review of possible exploitation by players. If they are exploiting a situation, for example, they file a ticket to get a repair supposedly due to a crash caused by NQ through some means, and did not suffer damage from the event but are seeking to get elements lives restored due to another cause of damage (PvP, bad pilot), they should be held accountable. Once NQ has that ticket number and verifies the existence of the ticket, GM's should be allowed to get a player back in the game. 

Also, the fetch tool is another way to help players help themselves until a sense of normalcy is restored. Unless it was causing huge server performance issues of course. Changing it back to constructs lose all velocity in the event of a disconnect would be another thing that would be imperative to assist in the lessening of requests for repairs and teleports. Tie in something to ALT+F4 to stop exploits (if you have not already). 

@NQ Management, it is ultimately on the leaders to whether their nations or dreams thrive or fail. This may be a paycheck to some, but it is outlets for social interaction, enjoyment, relaxation, and the creations of empires for so many more can live out their dreams. 

'Do not walk in front of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside of me and be my friend.' - Albert Camus

On 12/11/2020 at 5:01 PM, Rhotan said:

One of the most troubling aspects of patches and any maintenance is the communication between NQ and the community. This last patch has created such chaos that it is a warzone in the Discord help channel. Communication between the various levels of NQ staff seems to be lacking as well.

This is a chronic and consistent problem with NQ, they have promised to do better many times before and will do so again no doubt. Not that I expect anything to change here as there is no one at NQ central to all of this and making the calls for who does what and how this is communicated both internally and outward.

13 hours ago, Rhotan said:

Here is a good example of a lapse in communications. I post it here due to the fact the community is still reeling from the issues caused by the .23 patch, my previous post calling out the communications issues, and the continuation of those issues.

image.thumb.png.1ac64384b5b15104fa97d5ffac6ac89b.png

I argue that the Keeping the "PORT" in Support should be relaxed for GM's to be able to repair the carnage caused by such instances without lengthy processes. If a player can submit the ticket, with log files, they should not be have to wait to get back running in game. The ticket and logfiles would be for review of possible exploitation by players. If they are exploiting a situation, for example, they file a ticket to get a repair supposedly due to a crash caused by NQ through some means, and did not suffer damage from the event but are seeking to get elements lives restored due to another cause of damage (PvP, bad pilot), they should be held accountable. Once NQ has that ticket number and verifies the existence of the ticket, GM's should be allowed to get a player back in the game. 

Also, the fetch tool is another way to help players help themselves until a sense of normalcy is restored. Unless it was causing huge server performance issues of course. Changing it back to constructs lose all velocity in the event of a disconnect would be another thing that would be imperative to assist in the lessening of requests for repairs and teleports. Tie in something to ALT+F4 to stop exploits (if you have not already). 

@NQ Management, it is ultimately on the leaders to whether their nations or dreams thrive or fail. This may be a paycheck to some, but it is outlets for social interaction, enjoyment, relaxation, and the creations of empires for so many more can live out their dreams. 

'Do not walk in front of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside of me and be my friend.' - Albert Camus

Hi @Rhotan,

We take your requests for more timely information very seriously. Despite doing our due diligence by posting Monday downtime information on Sunday, it seems that a server crash thwarted our original plans somewhat.

Please see the screenshot below for the full sequence of updates:

image.png 

Having said that, I can certainly identify a gap here. Another announcement reminding players that the scheduled downtime was about to begin would have been helpful - next time, I will assign another colleague in a different timezone to keep watch and ensure everyone is informed at all times.

I am pretty late on this, I would like to know if ship docking is gone from the game for good. I think it is ridiculuce that I need to land my carrier to recover craft.   I get it as a stop gap from players passing ships in to agg or orbit. But please allow ships to dock to other ships. Make landing gear a requirement. Make it if there gear is not in contact then it falls. I don't know I am not a game designer. 

I really hope this game makes it. 

On 12/10/2020 at 1:12 AM, Bobbie said:

I'd be interested to hear what makes you take it back. I haven't been in game yet except to collect my daily stipend. How is this patch different from what you thought it would be?

It was the sheer cost of the schematics, coupled with the fact that you need a schematic for literally everything, even the things you can already do in your pocket.

They seem to be addressing the T1 level, but at time of writing you were looking at 300k to refine the 4 Tier 1 ores, another 375 to get you the 5 Tier 1 products, and a further 450k to do the intermediary parts. That's well clear of a million just to get producing the intermediaries on the initial maths. Ludicrous.

On 12/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, NQ-Naunet said:

Hi @Rhotan,

We take your requests for more timely information very seriously. Despite doing our due diligence by posting Monday downtime information on Sunday, it seems that a server crash thwarted our original plans somewhat.

Please see the screenshot below for the full sequence of updates:

image.png 

Having said that, I can certainly identify a gap here. Another announcement reminding players that the scheduled downtime was about to begin would have been helpful - next time, I will assign another colleague in a different timezone to keep watch and ensure everyone is informed at all times.

I am aware NQ-Naunet, I was helping in the discord help chat when it went down. I put a lot of time in the help chat to unbury GM's from responses and to allow them to possibly correct in game issues. On this day the server crash did come right before the scheduled downtime. I know I have hammered management, and will continue to do so probably. I know my expectations will not align with others. The restrictions placed on the front line guys have decapitated one of the best things i have ever saw in a game though. Frontline, we can help you in just a second support. 

Reverse the keep the port in support until devs get a handle on spontaneously combusting ships. THAT, at least allows response to players and eliminates a break in information about a lot of other things. The bugs are overloading the CS team with tickets, slowing response, players are getting the smelly end of the stick. I do not play much anymore due to staying in the chat room helping people, which I do not mind at all, but at times it takes 3 ppl to answer the questions. 

From my perspective, I am just a player... from that perspective, I humbly request you return the power to get these other players back into the air and underground. Allow the GM's discretion or even free will to fix destroyed ships with a ticket number and logs. CS can set some of these off to the sides and work on other issues such as the talent points and so forth. Even recruit some players to be able to do it if nothing else. We are in Beta as you well know. Paying to play a Beta... when it gets hardcore and we get close to launch, bring back the restrictions. We all come here to have fun and destress. Recent changes have taken that fun away from a lot of people. Please, for the good of the community, press this return GM's being able to fix and teleport folks. We are not ready for such restrictions to be implemented due to the "shoddy" patches what are spawning more issues than they are fixing. I would be having a strong talk with the dev team to get feedback as to why things are getting broken. 

Like I said, I volunteer my time in the help chat in discord... I see the issues, help find workarounds, and get people to ticket their issues. I am there frequently I am commonplace. The being able to fix ppl's ships that detonate when sitting down on the controller seat is imperative to maintaining a player base and promoting community - NQ relations. Open it up... let's restore the faith and joy people had before that directive. 

If anyone wants to have a debate about it.... I am GAME. 

19 hours ago, Rhotan said:

I am aware NQ-Naunet, I was helping in the discord help chat when it went down. I put a lot of time in the help chat to unbury GM's from responses and to allow them to possibly correct in game issues. On this day the server crash did come right before the scheduled downtime. I know I have hammered management, and will continue to do so probably. I know my expectations will not align with others. The restrictions placed on the front line guys have decapitated one of the best things i have ever saw in a game though. Frontline, we can help you in just a second support. 

Reverse the keep the port in support until devs get a handle on spontaneously combusting ships. THAT, at least allows response to players and eliminates a break in information about a lot of other things. The bugs are overloading the CS team with tickets, slowing response, players are getting the smelly end of the stick. I do not play much anymore due to staying in the chat room helping people, which I do not mind at all, but at times it takes 3 ppl to answer the questions. 

From my perspective, I am just a player... from that perspective, I humbly request you return the power to get these other players back into the air and underground. Allow the GM's discretion or even free will to fix destroyed ships with a ticket number and logs. CS can set some of these off to the sides and work on other issues such as the talent points and so forth. Even recruit some players to be able to do it if nothing else. We are in Beta as you well know. Paying to play a Beta... when it gets hardcore and we get close to launch, bring back the restrictions. We all come here to have fun and destress. Recent changes have taken that fun away from a lot of people. Please, for the good of the community, press this return GM's being able to fix and teleport folks. We are not ready for such restrictions to be implemented due to the "shoddy" patches what are spawning more issues than they are fixing. I would be having a strong talk with the dev team to get feedback as to why things are getting broken. 

Like I said, I volunteer my time in the help chat in discord... I see the issues, help find workarounds, and get people to ticket their issues. I am there frequently I am commonplace. The being able to fix ppl's ships that detonate when sitting down on the controller seat is imperative to maintaining a player base and promoting community - NQ relations. Open it up... let's restore the faith and joy people had before that directive. 

If anyone wants to have a debate about it.... I am GAME. 

Gah, you're awesome. Thank you for lending your support to other players!! :) 

I understand what you're saying about the teleportation changes, and I will share your write-up with the team. As always, I can't guarantee anything (especially given how recently this particular decision was made), but I can at least re-open the discussion and see if we need to make any adjustments.

Thank you for spending the time to type that out, Rhotan!

On 12/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, NQ-Naunet said:

Gah, you're awesome. Thank you for lending your support to other players!! :) 

I understand what you're saying about the teleportation changes, and I will share your write-up with the team. As always, I can't guarantee anything (especially given how recently this particular decision was made), but I can at least re-open the discussion and see if we need to make any adjustments.

Thank you for spending the time to type that out, Rhotan!

Well, I hung that hat up last night. I got an answer to my question. I need rid of slowmode still though. And, I am apparently not an OFFICIAL helper. Is there a program for that? That is open for discussion though. Why did I stop supporting the community as a helper and deflector shield in the Discord? Yesterday, there were issues with players crashing in game due to apparent bugs. We got a visit from NQ-Stormeye which went one step below riotous, but was fairly cordial. After all was said and done, I did not know who NQ-Stormeye then, and I do not know now. I inquired to three staff throughout the rest of the day and into the night even the simple question of what position does NQ-Stormeye hold at the company. I never received a response. In fact, one of the staff "pinged" NQ-Stormeye to mark the conversation and alert him to the query. 

Why do I want to know? I would like to know if I am talking to someone from the CS department, a lead, a manager, a department head.... or the janitor. It was like I was trying to out a CIA operative. To not even get a response, such as, "It is preferred that we ask them if we can give you this information.", or "I will let him know to contact you if he can."... instead... silence. I have no intention of "doxxing" his position to get him targeted by a wave of 'pings' from disgruntled players.  And, if you are going to step into the line of fire, as NQ-Stormeye did, have some common courtesy... such as identifying yourself and taking the feedback received up the chain instead of asking I fill a ticket out on it and submit it. 

I have an issue with some of his answers as well. 

image.png.cefecc1e7562782c6faa7f1ef0e1e95c.png

I question the logic. How many tickets are required to provide enough data on a specific situation, let's say, spontaneous combustion of a players construct (which is happening) does it take to get reaction and redress from the devs? How would requiring a player to submit a ticket, with logs, be any different if their ship was repaired or not by staff? This is where review comes in. If a player was flying while intoxicated and smacked into one of those space elevators around Alioth... submits a false support ticket and gets a repair, and it is determined that nothing happened on the game side to cause it... then maybe some reprimand is needed. If you cannot determine whose fault it was on your end to begin with, you all are in beta, early beta... a subscription beta at that... I think that benefit of the doubt should apply. 

It is no secret about the AVT existing anymore. Maybe it never was a secret. I spoke with a member of this AVT and queried with them some of the basic things as to how that process worked. To my dismay, they stated that they felt their feedback was cherry-picked. The bad was washed away and the good things were looked at. That was their personal feelings on it. It may be correct, it may not be. Worth an inquiry in my opinion.

What comprises "The Team". Who constitutes it? How are issues decided? What is the chain-of-command at NQ? Can we get clarification on the reporting processes and who does what in that process? Meaning, a ticket is filed, where does that go first? What is the chain of custody on it? How about the in-game @NQ in game chat support channel? Who gets the notification first? Where does it go?

Here is another good one from today as to either a possible lapse in judgement, an ignorance of file structure, or a total disregard for the player base. 

Untitled.png.999d0e9eb64f5cc41cc0e3d358557b9f.png  The patch for today deleted their scripts from their installation folders. 

Here is the last screenshot I will offer in today's write-up. And yes, I enjoy thorough communicative write-ups... 

Untitled.png.ee089ef3d5607368d8e5f77b7fb98c57.png This is one of many I have seen with this narrative. 

This started not just after the "Keep the port in Support", as many could fly and would own up to their errors if they crashed, but it took off after .23 and the bugs released by that patch. I have tried to direct people to the forums, I have spit some venom myself, but if you look at the server load statistics.... it should be going down from a mass exodus. Entire orgs have reportedly left the game. People are streaming the carnage caused by these bugs. Youtube has some nasty videos as well. Your advertisements also offer a 1 month subscription while anyone visiting the site has a three month option to start with. 

I've had 8D problem solving courses, a ton of industrial continuous improvement training, even serving as the head of an entire department before as a coordinator. I do not know the manpower of staffing constraints you all have. Nor do I know funding constraints placed upon you. I do know that my eyes are locked on the dev department seeking accountability for wanton failures in released content. They are either releasing bad content willingly, through ignorance, or being forced to do so. As a result, tickets pour in, swamp CS, months old tickets are buried and people are fuming over that already... and we are told that NQ cannot help players because of possible "false positives" generated by the release of flawed content. 

I suggest putting the brakes on anything but the simplest of content changes, roll back the restrictions of on NQ repairs and teleports for players to get people back in action and up in the air AFTER they have submitted a ticket with log files on new crashes caused by "bugs" so that devs have their info, the player has their repair, and the issues can be addressed without patches going on top of bad code to further complicate the matter.

As for me putting back on a 'Happy Helper Hat', and feel free to stop in the discord and ask about my time in there, or ask the GM's I have worked with, I would be happy to. I would take it a step further and volunteer to get out there and repair those ships and such had I the powers to or sit in the chat and help others freeing up the GM's. Slowmode.. I would request it be removed for my account. I have had to switch back and forth from chat to DM's which can interfere with being able to hand a chatlog over to a GM for further help if I cannot. Not to mention, answering people more rapidly in the chat. Perhaps create a program to recruit helpers with stipends of a special title or something. So many possibilities exist. 

I look forward to your response.