Dec 7 Twitch Q&A - Let's Discuss!

NQ-Naunet

On 12/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, Pleione said:

2) Some update on the disastrous ZenDesk ticket system would be good too.  I received a form letter reply a few days ago on a bug report ticket that was TEN WEEKS old (November 23rd for a ticket filed on September 8th) - the "sorry for the late response" line is just insulting at this point.  Got a follow-up on December 3rd assuring me my Alpha blueprint issue was very important and a request to please not delete the blueprint...  In December, for an issue reported in the first weeks of Beta.

I got a similar response.... Its not just insulting - its unfathomable - lost some (what for then) were expensive elements for me - which I've long replaced - but to add further insult to injury - I also got asked for log files from the first week of beta MONTHS into the game.  Who the heck has log files from 10 weeks ago?  If I didn't periodically delete them your log files would be into the petabytes by now... but whats worse is - the original ticket was closed without comment OR anything other than an automated replay and when I reopened the ticket referencing the old one....THEN I get asked for log files?  

#faithlost 

The ticketing system has gotten to feel like some kind of horrible joke - I've stopped using it entirely because I've never gotten a SINGLE productive or beneficial response from it since Beta Launch.

Could we hear something about these upcoming features: 

1 Energy management 

In one interview JC said, that Energy management won't break anything. Ships and industry keep on working, they just perform better if using energy. 

• When we may see this feature in game 
  • Anything about energy sources, which may be available 

2 Recipes as Items, industry balancing 

• Will existing Indy units still work after industry balancing 
  • Mining crafting and configuring industry has been huge time investment for players 

3 Questions about mining and mining industry:
Need for time spent in mining. It is already huge OP TimeSink.

3.1 Any plans to rebalance mining and crafting so that required time spent in mining goes radically down. 

Current balance of digging + mining + crafting from ore to pure is off. Tiles become unusable too fast for any mining industry or mining cities to evolve. 

3.2 Any plans to rebalance mining so that veins last much longer so that building Mining industry and mining cities makes sense. (veins should last several years before depleting) 

The Org i am part of has designed alot of ships and we would like to start selling them one day.
But before we do that we wait for the "Voxel Copy/Paste-protection".
Is this a feature which could come very soon, or more likely in like a half year/year or so?
We would be very happy if this will be asked in the upcoming Q&A video. :)

Main question(s) for me really given the new announcement;

1. With the new change for schematics coming in, will be see any additional API functions/events added to the Industry Units? if so are there any details that can be given on this in the meantime.

2. Is the 'schematic bank container' actually embedded into each industrial unit or is this a new element to be placed? Does this mean that we can't have a central schematic hold and it will require even further micromanagement to maintain any industry.

3. Following on from the 'schematic bank container' and 1. will there be additional API to read from these i.e. check what schematics are in there and what is currently selected? Additionally would there be any planned functionality to be able to get the contents of a container?

4. Currently you can obtain element information from a control unit such as the ID, but require a core to get any further information are there any plans to allow for some functionality from the core to be carried over? I.e. Getting the name of a connected element using the ID or the position. Whilst I understand the core controls these elements, if you have an element connected in via a plug to the Control Unit, this to me seems like it has the connection to the element to already pull some information, without needing an additional connection to the core to carry out this task. Given that the slots are limited per core, it would be good if some basics could be carried over similar to the Element API.

5. Do you have any plans for expand the usage of the Territory Scanner via LUA? It would be handy if we could read results directly from a Scanner and have that data to be reviewed later. Whilst this may go above the scope of what the initial design was for, it would be a great addition to allow for data collection.

6. Web hooks - any thoughts for the future?

3 hours ago, Lachenlaud said:

#faithlost 

The ticketing system has gotten to feel like some kind of horrible joke - I've stopped using it entirely because I've never gotten a SINGLE productive or beneficial response from it since Beta Launch.

I have to give them a little credit:  New request tagged NQ for things like teleports are responded to within a few hours.

Hi everyone! ❤️ 

I promised I'd be in here to answer questions, but the list grew A LOT! I'm having the entire team pick at the questions to ensure I'm delivering the best answers. :) (Just so you know why I'm delayed.)

NQ-Pann is in the process of writing a stream recap as well, so please be on the lookout for that in the coming days.

1) How is interstellar travel going to work? I remember a couple years ago reading about choices between having warp drives or something on your ship (which would take very long to get to the next system), or a community-run stargate which would make interstellar travel much quicker but also insanely expensive to upkeep. Also, I'm curious on how planet generation will be. Are all the solar systems going to be hand-crafted or will the be procedurally generated?

2) When will there be ship manufacturing machines added to the game? I think this is important in order for orgs to make their own manufacturing plants to sell their specific ship models and create competition in the economy.

3) I'm pretty sure this is in the game already, but how does placing a blueprint for a massive ship work? If you can't fit all the materials in your inventory, is it even possible to create the ship using a blueprint?

EDIT:
Just thought of another question. When will we be able to have smaller ships inside larger ships? I really like the idea of having a speeder inside my spaceship ready to go whenever I land somewhere. As of now, they glitch out and escape outside the larger ship so this isn't doable.

1 hour ago, NQ-Naunet said:

NQ-Pann is in the process of writing a stream recap as well, so please be on the lookout for that in the coming days.

I'd hope the patch is up and running before that arrives as every day you wait will give the big orgs a bigger advantage now that they know what's coming, not that they did not already get the inside scoop from ATV. That NQ seems to not realize what they triggered on the Q&A today is possible the most concerning issue af them all.

But I have a feeling you will find out .. soon.. and by then it will be too late and the game will be pretty much in the hands of the big orgs.. But listening to JC, that may well have been the idea all along to be very  honest as solo players and small groups should not really wanting to buil.d their own parts of ships, they should just buy what they need instead is what JC pretty much said.. So the game is not for you, just for the big bois who will not be able to determine how you play and what you pay..

It's unfortunate really, I'll wait and see how the update plays out but I expect it will spell the end of the line for many players.

Maybe JC is just really an environmentalist:  Make creating parts REALLY hard so that people spend all their time searching for wrecks to recover parts from?

Lore would need to be dammed though.  We just got here after 10,000 years of travel in civilizations most advance ships.  Where did the ancient wrecks come from?

2 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Hi everyone! ❤️ 

I promised I'd be in here to answer questions, but the list grew A LOT! I'm having the entire team pick at the questions to ensure I'm delivering the best answers. :) (Just so you know why I'm delayed.)

JC was about to share the prices of the upcoming schematics but couldn't because he didn't remember the formula.

Can we please get the formula and/or the prices ?

6 hours ago, Pleione said:

I have to give them a little credit:  New request tagged NQ for things like teleports are responded to within a few hours.

That has not been even my recent experience.  Frankly even the industry patch just announced is disheartening to me.  I've enjoyed playing up until now for the most part... but tbh I'm pretty sure I'm done for now.  The market system is a huge disappointment, I do not believe that the changes they are making will fix that - simply force smaller groups of players and individuals to not play at all, and I'm probably going to take the next couple of weeks before Christmas to migrate what I -do- have to the Sanctuary moon and sit things out until 'release'. 

If the status quo remains as it is, I won't be putting much else into the game at all.  As a pre-alpha backer, I must say, I once again find myself extremely unhappy to find that the universal vision put forth by the games creator is not what he claimed it would be.   

They're turning the gameplay mechanic into what essentially (imho) feels like a considerable amount of work.  I can get a real life job and get paid to do that.   All they've succeeded in doing is re-awakening my desire to play other games.  

On 12/6/2020 at 9:03 AM, Darkracer125 said:

ticket system is going pretty well actually.  just the other day someone had a responce back in 15 minutes.   

obviously they know these old ones are pretty much all solved or over already.  but yet they are still responding to them.   

but i think new tickets are more important atm then finishing off the huge amount of old reports.

So you heard about 1 person that had a ticket responded to in 15 min. (I also note how you don't specify if the issues was resolved).  That isn't why I replied though, my beef with the ticket system is that NQ wants everything going through the ticket system.  That includes existing known bugs, which those tickets appear to go to the back burner.  If I deploy a BP and it shoots 5km underground, in a tile I can't dig in, how long would think is reasonable to wait to get resolution?

I don't want to say this but after watching a replay of the livestream I almost feel like JC is out of touch with the actual game?  Like does he play it at all and if he does, does he get the same level of support that the masses get?  I get that he is the 'visionary' and is looking forward (like waaaay forward) of game development, but holy crap FIX the stuff that is broken.  If that doesn't get done, every thing you stack on top of it is going to be broken.  First thing to start with is CS.  If you don't think there are problems just hang out in the tech support channel in Discord.  There are people there that are paying for the game and haven't been able to log in for weeks and the ticket system is a running joke.

Yet they are going to do a MAJOR balancing change to industry and introduce a MAJOR new mechanic with schematics.  If this doesn't have disaster written all over it, I don't know what does.  How much do you want to bet linked containers gets broken (again) when this is launched.  I mean I still have random lock ups of industry machines that can't be resolved unless I pickup and replace the unit.

I also get the 'bug' where the game just freezes for a couple min. then goes back to being usable.  The 'fix' for this is to reboot my computer.  Sounds reasonable but holy crap there are some nights I have to reboot 2-3 times, and that is just not normal.

And don't even get started on the hot mess that is the anti-cheat software.  I had it go off once when I started watching Netflix.

About the industry changes: A suspicious mind would say that the changes have more to do with throttling cloud computing expenses than anything else. Players are building way more and bigger mega factories than what was perhaps predicted.

Making industry drastically more expensive and more inflexible than this far certainly makes it very difficult area to play (or is it already then more like work and no fun?). Recurring argument from JC (if I got it correctly) is to promote co-op, civilization building and all that. However applying this logic has been very one-sided this far. It seems that if there is a difficulty in real life then bring it to the game - jay it's now more realistic. But positive things from real life are missing from the game. Things that are essential for any kind of co-op to work, for any financial system to work, for logistics to work, and to have integration benefits : we would so direly need working contracting system, banks and banking, ability to exchange goods for quantas  and quantas for goods at any location not just in markets for making logistics a bit more sensible.. (in real life truckers bring goods to factories, factory owner does not fetch the raw materials from markets),  even insurance systems (maybe blackboxes in ships which can prove ship was shot down and not just wrecked by owner, of course this kind of list could go on and on, but my point is that there exists almost nothing co-op supportive currently. Only markets.

And yet a bit about the markets. Because volumes (both player volume and volumes of goods produced by players) are so low prices are unstable. I have heard from few players that because this price instability they have preferred to build the whole chain from ores to final product in their factories and not buy intermediate products from markets + availability from markets can be very iffy. In theory you could handle the variable price issue with good RL-kind IT systems (each individual item individually priced throughout the whole factory) but who is mad enough to try to write such thing as a LUA script in a game with many artificial obstacles to overcome.

6 hours ago, JasonHerbburn said:

Recurring argument from JC (if I got it correctly) is to promote co-op, civilization building and all that.

In way we now having extreamly IMMERSIVE civilization gameplay.

Incompetent goverment robing the poor with taxes to "fix" own mistakes and to benefit the rich. How can civilization building pillar go closer to fascinating depths of realism. 10/10.

3 hours ago, Mordgier said:

There is one major difference. We don't 'have to be' the cog in the faceless merciless machine in DU.

We have a choice.

We can quit.

yes we can...

21 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Hi everyone! ❤️ 

Not sure why it would take a team days to reply to questions/comments that are not new, if you read the forums on a regular basis you would see everything mentioned here dozens of times. but i guess we will wait and see.

Just another player questioning "am i wasting time here?"

23 hours ago, Mordgier said:

I would like to know for next Q&A how many meganodes JC found and mined out before coming to the conclusion that mining is too easy and linking to containers need to be nerfed.

Dont forget , how many KL of tier 5 ores  has JC mined, has he ever done the tutorials, how often he visits markets like the rest of us?

23 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Hi everyone! ❤️ 

I take it you've been too busy updating your resume and Linkedin profile to get to the questions?  Probably a good idea.

Concerns

If the markets aren't mature enough to support these changes you're going to create dead ends  as parts simply won't be available.  

Suggestion:

To avoid this consider "omni schematics" that could be used for a given tier to build a small amount of anything.  These would have a very limited run and would expire on a given date if not used  A small number  could be seeded in players nanopacks.  They could not be sold or transfered.

It would avoid people quitting in frustration while waiting for markets to be seeded.   Especially on planets farther from population centers.   Worst case scenario individuals would operate as we currently are for a limited number of item runs.