Abandoned ships/structures

Dadbod

Will NQ be doing anything about players who abandon ships and/or structures and never return to the game? Or just  leave a ship sitting at a market or other public place for days or weeks?

If a ship has been sitting on a hex that doesn’t belong to the ship’s owner or org for more than a month, it should be open to salvage. Same goes for abandoned structures. If a player doesn’t have an active log in for more than 60 days, they should lose their structures and territories. That would help speed up some of the lag issues and provide an incentive for people to stay active. 

16 hours ago, Dadbod said:

Will NQ be doing anything about players who abandon ships and/or structures and never return to the game? Or just  leave a ship sitting at a market or other public place for days or weeks?

If a ship has been sitting on a hex that doesn’t belong to the ship’s owner or org for more than a month, it should be open to salvage. Same goes for abandoned structures. If a player doesn’t have an active log in for more than 60 days, they should lose their structures and territories. That would help speed up some of the lag issues and provide an incentive for people to stay active. 

I am also highly curious about the answer to this because there are several abandoned ships near our territories on Alioth and no one has been on them in months. Atleast  you can manuever ships on your territory away from building projects. 

I'd expect something along the lines of "If you haven't been online in 60 days, everything you own gets compacted into your inventory and you lose all your territory units.  Organizations with no members online in 60 days will have everything compacted into the super-legate's inventory.  Anything in a PvP area will not be compacted, and will be left for other players to find."

Personally, I would prefer to see everything become abandoned and salvageable instead of compacted, but I think compacting things in safe zones is a reasonable compromise.

Because we’re in beta, this is a problem due to accounts not expiring. 

In the future, I imagine people will pay only as long as they actually play. So if they abandon the game and quit their subscription, their assets should become forfeit and salvageable. 

this will likely solve the platform detritus issues people are having. 

19 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Because we’re in beta, this is a problem due to accounts not expiring. 

Only for alpha testers and beta keys.

Mine and many other expire on dec 26th as we all paid for 3 months at aug 27th and were given 1 free month due to bugs (which I think is due to NQ being sure no-one will continue their sub so they pushed the can down the road hoping that new patch will convince people to pay again).

The solution is simple.

After 2 hours of not moving (within the confines of the hex the market resides) the construct is compacted and can be retrieved from the market container after 24 hours. All cargo is removed from the construct and also placed in the market container. The compacted ship can only be unpacked in the same hex as the market container from which it was obtained.

Thus, no freebie and easy movement across the face of a planet with a compacted L core and 300KT of goods. No, the cargo is sitting in the player's market container waiting for shipment.

That takes care of one problem, the ships perma-parked on, around, and under current market platforms.

Now, we need to handle the mess of stacked containers surrounding markets in adjacent hexes.

There needs to be a maximum height for deployment of cores, and subsequent movement of said cores' constructs" to 200m, in the adjacent hexes surrounding a market.  We already have a limitation of placing cores no more than 100m above the ground, but a wall of containers on the edge of the platform is becoming a problem at more than one market.

Interesting topic.  I guess for most people its important to have a decent size player base whilst its also important to clean up some of the stuff that's in problem areas.  I started playing about a month after release.  I have a couple of bases and few ships and 2 space stations.  I'm still deciding as to whether or not I will continue my subscription.  I was thinking I might stop for 3 to 6 months.  Give them a chance to finish the game and them come back.  Maybe there are quite a few people who are feeling the same way?

Anyway my concern is.  If all my stuff is gone ....... I probably wont come back and give it another go.  I'd be OK if they compacted everything or even if they just converted everything to quanta at market rates.