Planetary Market Network

Gerdieman

So from my experience so for with the markets has not been great. You can easily try to spend 10-15 min trying to find a location with a good price due to the massive list of markets available. Then once you do find a location you realize that it is a very heavily populated area and start lagging on approach. If you are unlucky you have your entire ship wrecked and have to spend resources to fix it. 

The point is that there is no way around the really populated markets as that is the best place to buy/sell. This is one of the issues I see is that this is not scalable nor are there any mechanics to avoid the extremely laggy markets. There are also a lot of markets on the planet that aren't even being used at the moment. I am not particularly surprised when we already have 140 of them in the current system. Once the new systems start coming online we could potentially have double the current market count. All of that makes markets not player friendly so many avoid it if they can to just do it themselves.

====Change Proposal====

Unify the markets on the planet so they act as one large one which can be accessed by multiple terminals (aka the current Marketplaces). When you select "set destination" on the planetary network it will set the destination to the terminal that is closest to current position.

• Simplifies the markets enough that it is more player friendly
  • Allows players to redirect to less populated markets to avoid lag
  • Still allows trading between planets
  • Simplifies the management of trade boxes
  • Increased scalability when introducing new system/planets

====Additional Note====
Once the markets are unified across the planet it would be easy to interduce player controlled Market Terminals. They would be directly connected to the Planet's Market Network and would not have local storage. This will prevent the possibility of item theft. Secondly the user/org controlling the market terminal will get the fees for other players using it along with being able to adjust the rates. 

a very good idea, with the exception of the possibility of charging for the use of terminals.

!! planet 1 shared market.

You could add the option to connect your own to the terminal to the Planetary network.

e.g.
I build my own terminal and connect to the market.
the transfer of purchased raw materials is carried out automatically through a short-range teleportation network.

1 hour ago, Vazqez said:

a very good idea, with the exception of the possibility of charging for the use of terminals.

!! planet 1 shared market.

You could add the option to connect your own to the terminal to the Planetary network.

e.g.
I build my own terminal and connect to the market.
the transfer of purchased raw materials is carried out automatically through a short-range teleportation network.

The "====Additional Note====" section is where I talk about being able to introduce player controlled market terminals that connect to the planet's market network. Currently there is already two taxes when you buy items. The 10 ħ "Operation Fee" and the Value Tax (0.01%). Sellers have to deal with Operation, Value, and Storage Tax. The Operation and Value taxes are the ones that the terminals controlled by a player would receive and be able to adjust.

22 minutes ago, Vazqez said:

No.
No additional taxes.
The mere possibility of accessing a global market is a great bonus.
you are not afraid of cgytry.
The global hanfel is a value in itself.

The taxes for the current markets would stay as is and would not change. However the player controlled ones could be adjusted and the usage taxes for using them would go to the controlling player/org. This would allow someone to have an org market terminal that has the higher or lower taxes and the fees would benefit the org. Also, with this you could have markets on top of space elevators and they controlling player/org could have an increased rate to pay for the convivence of not having to go below 1km. Same could be said for space stations still within the range of the planet.

I will also point out I have no idea who cgytry is and I see no reason to fear him. Also no idea what you mean by "global handel."

I think having a "global market" would detract from player choice.  If there is only one market, then trading becomes a much less interesting thing.  Not to mention that hauling would cease to be a job.  There is also the side effect of it being easier to manipulate for large groups, and the general increase in prices from being able to monopolize all points of sale.

The lag of markets mostly is due to the number of constructs there... many of which are containers, junk/abandoned, damaged and smoking (bonus lag), or all of the above.  I think having player run markets would actually FIX some of the performance issues.  It will be a service the market host would provide: creating a low-lag environment by towing constructs - something that NQ generally has refused to do, thus the current market lag situation.

Global markets would drive DU towards being a theme-park MMO, and that's not the direction the game should go.

9 minutes ago, SGCam said:

I think having a "global market" would detract from player choice.  If there is only one market, then trading becomes a much less interesting thing.  Not to mention that hauling would cease to be a job.  There is also the side effect of it being easier to manipulate for large groups, and the general increase in prices from being able to monopolize all points of sale.

The lag of markets mostly is due to the number of constructs there... many of which are containers, junk/abandoned, damaged and smoking (bonus lag), or all of the above.  I think having player run markets would actually FIX some of the performance issues.  It will be a service the market host would provide: creating a low-lag environment by towing constructs - something that NQ generally has refused to do, thus the current market lag situation.

Global markets would drive DU towards being a theme-park MMO, and that's not the direction the game should go.

This would not kill hauling as the trade would be separate between planets as the idea is to unify the markets only a particular planet. You would still have separate markets, but just more focused on the per planet bases.  Basically turning the 140 markets we have now into 30 one for each planet.

Also there is nothing stopping large orgs from manipulating the market even with the current setup. I am pretty sure I have already see it happen. Truthfully it makes it easier but at the same time harder as the whales will have to contend with each other.