ghost nodes

general_beanflicker

same here

what really annoys me is that i dont even know the root of this problem

is it a local client thing? is it a serverproblem? a world generation problem? are these cheeky invisible nodes, implemented on purpose to get activated when we mined out too much ore in a year or something?

what really bothers me is: do these ghost nodes impact the territory scanner results

im hunting a 1.6m hematite ore node on my territory for hours now, not knowing if it really exists

an answer by NQ will be very welcome and could potentially save me and others ALOT of time and frustration

as I mine a lot, I saw 2 types of ghost node:

-the simple one: some ore (last time for me, 10kl gold) that was just not here: try to come from underneath, up, left, right...no way to find it.

-the ghost wall : near giant node, there is some ghost wall, a wall of dust (or sand...) that appear on the large scanner as ore, even if the proxy scan don't see it at all. when you're in the giant node, you see them as a straight wall (usually vertical) of dust.

ok update:

i took a territory scanner result

then i mined some of those buggy supernode walls and pulled a second territory scanner result

the findings:

the found ore value decreased substantially for this specific ghost-node ore

all other ore values stayed exactly the same for both results

this is horrendous news because it makes me surrender this territory with its alleged 1.3kt hematite

it convinces me that its not a clientside problem, solvable with deleting cache or something but rather that its a world generation problem, where there was some mechanism, that overruled placed ore nodes but didnt correctly replace some data flag responsible for triggering scanner tool and territory scanner results.

under this impression i highly question, that it will be feasible to not reset the world when DU comes out of beta

sure, you can generate new planets with improved algorithms but when the starting solar system has those crucial bugs that are causing so much frustration and time loss how will NQ be able to bind new players to the game.

yeah we want new content and all the cool goodies but when fundamental game mechanics are so irreversible bugged, every new and amazing feature will just be like a wonderful and tasty cherry on top of a pile of garbage

for now its ok. its beta and NQ has my benefit of doubt but when the game enters a post-beta-state im not so sure about this

I have dealt with dozens of ghost readings on meganodes now.  Last one was 800k of Natron missing on Lacobus.  We found the previous 1.5 million in a node and mined it out.  When we started searching for the last supernode of ~800k we tripped over a couple small 3k nodes and a 20k node, then 2 ghost nodes that had nothing there.  We hit it from every angle and even dug out the entire area.  Nothing to be found, nothing on directional scanner.  Checked the entire hex and all scans either point outside the hex or back to those two ghost nodes.  EXTREMELY frustrating. 

We threw in the towel after several hours wasted looking for it and went after the next meganode instead.  First reading was a ghost node of natron on the next hex we searched, several hexes away.  Ignored that spot and kept searching and thankfully found the next meganode.

The problem of ghost nodes is bad enough.  But the silence from the devs on this very major issue is deafening.

I tested a coal megahex on Lacobus. Initial scan showed 4.6M coal, Few small nodes and one meganode gave about 2.5M coal. Afterscan showed 1.8M coal. I cleared every other coal node and scan dropped to 1.5M. The one megavein was right at edge of the hex, and it was rather easy to find all other nodes within the hex. I dug search tunnels every 100m altitude around the megavein, and few tunnels down to 2km below surface.

End result: 1.5M coal in terrain scan but no actual coal.

I have tested this with my organization Chem Dogs on several hexs throughout the system, Alioth and Talemai and Talemai moon 1 and 2 mainly. We scan a hex get 2 million bauxite for example and we mine out one super node worth 750kl-1000kl and there should be 1000kl left in another node and we cannot ever find the other nodes because the scanner leads us back to the mined out super node or leads us to an area where the detector doesn't pick anything up and there is nothing there. It is extremely frustrating. We are sitting on many scans with millions of ore left in the Hexs and cannot find the ore even with full mining teams scouring the hex. We've been playing since alpha and early beta and know what we are doing and it gets extremely annoying hitting this problem over and over again. Out of my 60 person organization about 40 of them have quit the game until it is updated more and fixed as these problems start to add up over time. 

@Helediron I love your scripts btw big fan!

On 12/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, duldrome said:

same here

what really annoys me is that i dont even know the root of this problem

is it a local client thing? is it a serverproblem? a world generation problem? are these cheeky invisible nodes, implemented on purpose to get activated when we mined out too much ore in a year or something?

what really bothers me is: do these ghost nodes impact the territory scanner results

im hunting a 1.6m hematite ore node on my territory for hours now, not knowing if it really exists

an answer by NQ will be very welcome and could potentially save me and others ALOT of time and frustration

I don't think it is local client based as I've had a whole big group of people come from all over and try to find a few of them and we've collectively wasted probably over ten hours on these ghost nodes. It always happens after we mine one super node worth 1000kl or so and then we go look for the other 2000kl in the hex and can never find any.