A day from Explorer's life

Umibozu

With shipwrecks being so rare currently I think they should give a large reward upon finding them. I have yet to come across one personally. But I have no motivation to look for wrecks if I can mine and make a huge profit and supply my organization with everything we need to thrive. I feel like at this point if I went looking for shipwrecks I wouldn't be contributing to the organization and not being a helpful member as where other gameplay loops the contribution is easily seen. I would like them to add more shipwrecks and maybe some kind of abandoned precursor civilization outposts just more POI (points of interest) in general in the future and give explorers something to actually gain. Elite Dangerous for example you can scan planets and sell those scans at stations and still make profit. 

I may be say heresy, but wrecks was very bad idea in context of DU principal "world mechanics" and sandbox anatomy. I think they were mistake and disign trap.

1) Travel in DU is relativly long or relativly expensive (or even both).

2) World is immensly huge in terms of teсhnical space... but empty in terms almost sterile/repetive nature of locations.

This means most people will be up to "exploring" not for pleasure to see some totaly empthy spheroid 35th time again (when nothing can happen with them, beyond PvP attack on route), but only and only for obvious "reward", generaly by grind-search.

Reward part, to add insult to injury, almost impossible to balance.

1) Valuable "on average" = agressive farm, not valuable "on average"  = ignore.

2) Easy to find = farm, hard to find = ignore.

3) Half mesueres like loot limit not help much.

And, honestly, I think no matter what is done with them in future, they always remain some sort of 5th wheel. 

Much better option, by my opinion, was to play around some "alien artefacts" -- ruins generated undergound, caches, some may be found on orbit, other visible on radar, added by events, and they absolutly not need to follow any "logic" or scale of placement like wrecks. It may be like ultra-minor item or huge. Some can generate anomalies or even damage ships. Much more flexability and thrill of discovery.

Sorry for salt : )

I was thinking of the wrecks being like resources. Finite. If you could claim them/disassemble them, they would be gone and thus unavailable to anyone else (unless they randomly regenerated elsewhere). I think this would do well applying to alien OR terran ships.

But long term, I see your point I think about the fifth wheel part. Not quite fitting in. Maybe being finite, they can only appear in newly added solar systems for a time. Encouraging exploration?