A day from Explorer's life

Umibozu

Let us begin ,

When return of the wrecks has been announced my exploring senses started tingling.

So i have began:

Every time i have been visiting new places during my journeys thru the system , i have been flying slow and low, straining my eyes on the lookout for the even smallest signs of the wreckage.

Days have passed with nothing being found,

I have expected that, 100 or so wrecks scattered among the dozens of planets and moons, fully knowing I am not the only one searching.

2 weeks passed...

During that time i heard bout some been  found, some selling location to make additional buck , i kept searching...

Finally , when almost given up hope i saw it...

Small piece of metal that i have initially thought to be a rock.

Hurried to the spot and started carefully checking surroundings, Yes i have found it, I have beaten others to it, I am THE FIRST.

Feeling great sense of accomplishment, i have found a wreckage.

Started carefully uncovering the exteriors, broken armament here and there, damaged hull, made me work slower...

I am witnessing resting place of once proud Pirate ship...

Finished uncovering the exterior....

Nothing out of ordinary, damaged parts I have seen dozens of, i produce most of them myself and supply to the markets.

With one exception , anti-gravity pulsors, this baby is big.

I dive inside , carefully removing soil from interior making sure i don't make a wrong step.

With anticipation of great haul i move slowly from command deck, past living quarters towards cargo hold and engine room.

When I finally get there, containers are empty , engine room only holds basic engines i have seen hundreds of.

Where is the "gold" , where is the Anti-gravity unit? i have seen pulsors outside!!!

So i went back and forth checking every room , every corner of the ship.

To my despair found nothing , no great spoils, no reward for being first.

So much time wasted ....

Angry and disappointed , i return the surface to the state i found it in...

Then slowly walk away with a tear in the corner of my eye.... never looking back...

The ( not a happy) End

25 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Wrecks are crap.

if you want to salvage some I can drop you some coords of ships we left dead in pvp zone, you can go salvage them but no anti-grav there either for sure.

Thats where i found mine, it felt like NQ punched me in the face , proudly announced content that doesn't deserve that name.  Warp cell cost to get to that planet was higher than whole wreck altogether.

5 minutes ago, Umibozu said:

Thats where i found mine, it felt like NQ punched me in the face , proudly announced content that doesn't deserve that name.  Warp cell cost to get to that planet was higher than whole wreck altogether.

it's just a "v" at the login screen, there is no reason whatsoever to search for them. I don't think I will approach one even if I see it. It just don't worth the time and all you probably see is just a destroyed ship.

We will see a lot of destroyed ships next patch.

2 minutes ago, XKentX said:

it's just a "v" at the login screen, there is no reason whatsoever to search for them. I don't think I will approach one even if I see it. It just don't worth the time and all you probably see is just a destroyed ship.

We will see a lot of destroyed ships next patch.

"V" that's has no right to be there IMHO, i like that kind of content, but i do expect adequate rewards for the time spent. Destroyed but not claimable lol

Just now, Umibozu said:

"V" that's has no right to be there IMHO, i like that kind of content, but i do expect adequate rewards for the time spent. Destroyed but not claimable lol

yea, at least the pvp ones are claimable and you know it was really built by a player and lost in combat.

The NQ ones are like: here is the crap we buried in dirt, found it ? cool, dig it out, get 1 engine, go on capsu... err novean.

But they can now show that like their are doing something other than fixing linked container for 1 month over and over.

TIme and time again. You think NQ would be getting better at reading their audience and introducing new features by now. 

but it seems not. Many of their features are like the least delicate implementations possible and are often minimum viable production level. 

On 11/30/2020 at 9:39 AM, Umibozu said:

I'd love to attempt to reverse the punched feeling, if I can!

What would make wrecks feel the most satisfying for you? What *should* this event look like, in your opinion?

I posted elsewhere about this (I believe it's in the feedback thread re: GO_D ST__), but the current version of any event we run is in no way indicative of what'll happen in the future. Right now we're trying to figure out what works and... well, what doesn't. And you've all been great about helping us understand what doesn't work. ?

On 11/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, XKentX said:

But they can now show that like their are doing something other than fixing linked container for 1 month over and over.

Lol. Yeah, the linked container 'fixes' were such a travesty. Why did it take so damn long for a simple fix. And taking months to finally forbid linked container access when in a surrogate... like WTF. That should have been forbidden from the very start. Doesn't inspire confidence in the dev team.

16 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

What would make wrecks feel the most satisfying for you? What *should* this event look like, in your opinion?

I actually think he said it in his description as an "explorer" when he said: "Where is my box of Gold". So the point is that once you find such a ship you should have a reward worth it. Basically if you go mining right now, you can mind T1 ressources on Alioth and go sell it to the local market for a certain price. You can basically calculate the time spent/value generated. Well finding wrecks should at least be equivalent with again (I mentioned that in another post already talking about events) a random generated reward which sometimes turns out to be a container full of T1 scrap of a container full of Gold... and everything in between. The time spent should be beyond the fact that you can write a nice story on this forum of how many days you spend looking for a wreck and how disappointed you are once finding it ;-).

I was actually myself considering going to look for such wrecks, but believe me, after this thread I drop it and go back to mining. Finding a large T3 Node of Petalite and mining that out in a couple of hours generals double digit million of isk, I mean hankas... can become boring but at least it is rewarding. Finding a wreck right now sounds like boring and not rewarding :).

4 hours ago, Ochiniwa said:

I actually think he said it in his description as an "explorer" when he said: "Where is my box of Gold". So the point is that once you find such a ship you should have a reward worth it. Basically if you go mining right now, you can mind T1 ressources on Alioth and go sell it to the local market for a certain price. You can basically calculate the time spent/value generated. Well finding wrecks should at least be equivalent with again (I mentioned that in another post already talking about events) a random generated reward which sometimes turns out to be a container full of T1 scrap of a container full of Gold... and everything in between. The time spent should be beyond the fact that you can write a nice story on this forum of how many days you spend looking for a wreck and how disappointed you are once finding it ;-).

I was actually myself considering going to look for such wrecks, but believe me, after this thread I drop it and go back to mining. Finding a large T3 Node of Petalite and mining that out in a couple of hours generals double digit million of isk, I mean hankas... can become boring but at least it is rewarding. Finding a wreck right now sounds like boring and not rewarding :).

My point exactly. Reward for any type of the activity, be it Shipwrecks, Missions, etc, should be worth the time, adequate to time and resources spent in order to achieve the goal. It needs to be alternative way of wealth acquisition to mining , crafting and pirating .  Otherwise no one will ever bother.

22 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

...I was really invested in your story telling style, @Umibozu?

I wish all feedback was delivered this way!

Story is what we need too....

How Thades got its scar, Why Teoma exists, How Feli got its crater, among other unsolved mysteries

First to the OP, your way of telling this was awesome .. it was clear for everyone and gave a great description of all that transpired. Secondly to NQ-Naunet,  Umibozu said it best.  If we spend hours or sometimes days looking for something the reward should be there when we finally get to the end of it. This wasn't just simply go to point A. This was an open world scavenger hunt for lack of a better term and i personally thought the event was an awesome idea and loved the concept of it. That being said the reward for such an endeavor should be worth the trip.  I understand this is Beta (alpha) and we working out the kinks.

Basic parts....4kl limitation.....not worth searching....find the wreck...get one engine (After you spend the scrap to repair it) and you are done....cant get anything else....and it is only a basic engine....nope not worth time. First free item is also NOT free from what I have noticed...Container L still counted against my 4kl limit. 

On 12/2/2020 at 10:02 AM, NQ-Naunet said:

I'd love to attempt to reverse the punched feeling, if I can!

Thanks for listening to us!

Some suggestions to make the wrecks more interesting:

1) MORE wrecks everywhere (100x more) 

2) Lots of different sizes.  from full ships down to a single engine or container sticking out of the dirt

3) Different states:  some are dead.  some have "active" defenses -- obviously these would have much better loots

4) Wrecks in space

5) respawn wrecks after they are salvaged

disclaimer:  I have never seen a wreck myself, so #2 may already be done.

3 hours ago, kittle said:

Thanks for listening to us!

Some suggestions to make the wrecks more interesting:

1) MORE wrecks everywhere (100x more) 

2) Lots of different sizes.  from full ships down to a single engine or container sticking out of the dirt

3) Different states:  some are dead.  some have "active" defenses -- obviously these would have much better loots

4) Wrecks in space

5) respawn wrecks after they are salvaged

disclaimer:  I have never seen a wreck myself, so #2 may already be done.

I like #1, but wouldn't want them so common as to take away from the 'wow' factor. Maybe 10X more?

I haven't found any, so if #2 is not the way they currently are, that would be nice.

#3 seems more plausible with PvP updates and would make for interesting encounters.

I like #4, but these would be harder to find. Maybe have them come up on radar. Plus this will give some reason to "walk" instead of "warp" opening up more PvP possibilities and stories. Wondering to if derelict PvP ships will end up filling this void?

#5 would be great. But I'm thinking that the ship should be 'claimable'. Meaning you can go into build mode, make a blueprint, and salvage the entire ship, entities, fuel, and all. This would at least help alleviate some of that punch to OP's gut (which I agree the rewards from these things don't sound worth it right now at all)

Actually they are utterly uninteresting, because there is no unique loot to be found on them, no "wow" factor, no sense of achievement, when all I can find is a run-of-the-mill wreck which has just normal elements which you can buy in any market.

There should be some lore behind the wrecks - how about they are actually wrecks of alien origin? with unique items which cannot be found or bought anywhere, unique technology, artifacts ...

3 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Actually they are utterly uninteresting, because there is no unique loot to be found on them, no "wow" factor, no sense of achievement, when all I can find is a run-of-the-mill wreck which has just normal elements which you can buy in any market.

There should be some lore behind the wrecks - how about they are actually wrecks of alien origin? with unique items which cannot be found or bought anywhere, unique technology, artifacts ...

I have been thinking on the lore part, correct me if I am wrong but the only way to share information in the game is via chat or signs correct?

What if there was an easily craftable T1 item (Data Cube?) That could be created and when examined can be read like a book? That could help make lore more easily distributed in wrecks. Find the data cube, read the ship logs. See where it came from, what it was doing, etc. If it is craftable and ingame, it will be persistent with more info and less 'in your face' than anything I am currently aware of.

If I am restating an old idea, my apologies.

It can also be used by players for their own organization lore.