Crash talk

Skimus

Since beta launch I have frustrating problem with losing connection and frequent game crashing. I sent a lot of reports, but I guess that I'm in minority with this issue and nobody cares.

So, is there someone, who also had a problem with constant game crasing, but found a way to fix it? How?

These are some of the typical cases:

- First login of the day - instant crash after Loading.

- Second login of the day - crash after a few seconds after Loading. With third attempt it is usually ok.

- Using instant transport between Alioth and Sanctuary - crash every 2-3 uses right after Loading.

- Flying above the surface of planets (0-2000m range) - random (every 1-15 minutes) crashes. It seems to not correlate with any obvius situation or action.

- Flying in space - random crashes roughly once every 20 minutes.

The issue persist on 2 different machines, first one around minimal specs, second one 1 tier above recommended.

2 hours ago, Skimus said:

Since beta launch I have frustrating problem with losing connection and frequent game crashing. I sent a lot of reports, but I guess that I'm in minority with this issue and nobody cares.

So, is there someone, who also had a problem with constant game crasing, but found a way to fix it? How?

These are some of the typical cases:

- First login of the day - instant crash after Loading.

- Second login of the day - crash after a few seconds after Loading. With third attempt it is usually ok.

- Using instant transport between Alioth and Sanctuary - crash every 2-3 uses right after Loading.

- Flying above the surface of planets (0-2000m range) - random (every 1-15 minutes) crashes. It seems to not correlate with any obvius situation or action.

- Flying in space - random crashes roughly once every 20 minutes.

The issue persist on 2 different machines, first one around minimal specs, second one 1 tier above recommended.

I use only one machine, it happens often to me. If you are like me then your machine doesn't have the latest, greatest installed. It has just enough video to run it. But then maybe not.

Mine happens during rendering process of complicated elements. If I log out away from bases, markets, not facing a ship, It usually doesn't happen. When I do log out near my base and it happens, I clear my cache. (upper right corner, its an option in the dropdown that has debug in it) That was what was suggested to me by the DU techs. I checked first time they contacted me with it, and was surprised. right at 15 GB in the cache!

IF DU is like most, those little popup boxes you fill out and send are considered issue trackers. They are used by devs for optimizations and figuring out how and when problems occur from tickets when submitted. To get a response, you have to submit an actual ticket on the web site. That will contact the IT team, which will assist. If they can't fix it it gets booted up the chain depending on how many tickets for a particular problem are submitted. When it gets the devs attention, they pour through the issue trackers.

*DISCLAIMER That happens at other companies, I do not know if that is DU's process as well.

I suggest to just keep submitting the trackers. Keep issuing the tickets. Sheer number is what gets their attention. And in the meantime, try to what I do. So far my game crashes FAR less (still does occasionally) and is less frustrating. Hope this helps.

Update: It seems that my problem is solved, but I can't say why exactly.

I did a quick PC format, installed DU, tried it and it was still crashing. But then I decided: f**k it and did a second format, but a little bit more carefully. Started with cleaning my PC and reconnecting every part again. Then I installed every possible driver by hand (NOT automatically by WIndows 10), updated BIOS etc. And now it seems to work! I relogged many times, played a bit and not a single crash or disconnect. In the meantime, I switched to a new 1440p monitor, but I don't think it is a factor in here. Anyway, whatever helped, it made a huge difference, because now the game works waaay smoother (despite increased resolution!).

10 hours ago, Skimus said:

I did a quick PC format .....

did a second format .....reconnecting every part again. Then I installed every possible driver by hand

There were times when I could have done this, 20 years ago maybe .... but boy, now? .... I would never do that for ANY game. Format my PC? Seriously? It's a sorry state of a game if you have to format the bloody PC and install everything per hand for it to work.

Nah.