DevBlog: The Maneuver Tool and Disconnecting Ships - DUscussion thread

NQ-Pann

Physics is physics. If the player disappears, then the ship should naturally fall. Otherwise, how will the ship be held in the air without an anti-gravity generator? Perhaps it is worth introducing mechanisms that reduce the damage received from falling or even bring it to zero. They are already in the game - these are brakes. You can introduce more parachutes. What if they turn on automatically, just like the anti-gravity generator - if the player suddenly gets a disconnect?

Like why we are even fixing something that is not broken ?

Yea people do Alt+F4 abuse but GUNNER CRASHES EVERY PLAYER KILL - confirmed by many players. How about fixing that instead ????

Currently, Alt+F4 etc just make up for wonky mechanics and I don't really care about someone Alt+F4 when he overshot or something. Probably a noob anyway and I don't want him to replace all his ship due to this mistake. He will ragequit and I will play alone.

Maneuver tool ? It takes me 20 damn minutes to figure out how to put XS on top of L at my base without them blowing up. You want to nerf it ? Really ?

13 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

For my own learning, can you delve further into the use of Alt-F4 as a workaround? I'm currently chatting with JC about the feedback in this thread. :) 

These two explain one major use nicely, albeit log out/in, not alt+f4.

1 hour ago, OwenQuillion said:

I want to add to the others who have pointed out that Anti-Gravity Generators absolutely need to stay in an 'on' state regardless of player proximity if this is changed. Currently the only way to safely disembark from one is to log in and log out so the ship freezes in place; otherwise, it's basically going to fall to earth behind you.

Unless, of course, the design intent is to require infrastructure at both ends of the journey and add even *more* AGG platform towers scattered around the game world.

1 hour ago, SpaceGamer said:

So we are losing the only way to insure our Agg does not fall out of the sky...Im with others...fix the problems BEFORE fixing the methods to work around said problems. Scrap market going to skyrocket in price. All those AGG Haulers falling like rain with no way to stop it LOL...

Fix AGG staying up BEFORE this change goes through.

5 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Currently, Alt+F4 etc just make up for wonky mechanics and I don't really care about someone Alt+F4 when he overshot or something. Probably a noob anyway and I don't want him to replace all his ship due to this mistake. He will ragequit and I will play alone.

Speak to me like I'm a toddler viewing this for the first time, haha! What are the wonky mechanics, specifically? What problem does Alt F4 solve? 

1 hour ago, XKentX said:

1) I pursue ship in PVP.

2) He logs off (instantly stops).

3) I slow down, turn around, approach it.

4) He logs back in and is flying at 30,000 km/h away from me while I have 0 speed.

ARE YOU NUTS ?

Does anyone thinks about those changes at all ?

Please make the ship at least stop if it was shot at in the last 10 minutes (shot, not targeted, targeting can be abused in the safe zone, shooting cannot)

The ship you are chasing will keep moving because you will be in rendering distance.

1 hour ago, RyanIsqairde said:

My concern is the interaction with AGG. AGG turns off if the person that started it goes away to far. Will that function now go to a nearby player? What happens if im solo, can i just not use AGG by itself now? Gonna have to build a  milliion landing platforms around planets?

Ecu will keep AGG active

2 hours ago, sysadrift said:

Maybe you should actually fix the AGG ships falling out of the sky before you introduce this change.  Some of us use this as a workaround to that particular bug, and this will make AGG more or less worthless. 

wy, the ship remains stopped until you log back in, when the AGG is still online, nothing changes..or?

5 minutes ago, Apillion said:

Ecu will keep AGG active

Is ECU not LUA? I thought all LUA stuff stops if a player gets further than 500m.

1 minute ago, klobber said:

why, the ship remains stopped until you log back in, when the AGG is still online, nothing changes..or?

The point was to log out/in so the ship was frozen and wouldn't fall out of the sky once one got beyond 500m. See my post here. Also, you can edit your posts; there's no need to post twice.

4 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

Is ECU not LUA? I thought all LUA stuff stops if a player gets further than 500m.

The point was to log out/in so the ship was frozen and wouldn't fall out of the sky once one got beyond 500m. See my post here. Also, you can edit your posts; there's no need to post twice.

The AGG ship will get a "grounded" tag...

So why put anything on a dynamic anymore? All my libraries are on dynamics because tiles are really big and if I'm working on something 500m away I don't really want to run back and forth to get shapes. And then what about that thing that happens when you move something and it goes drifting back to the original location. Does that apply to my 50m limitation? Then what about when your buggy code causes my core to explode and it goes flying off into space? I've had that happen dozens of times. Seems like shutting it down instead of working on it is the play. 

The optimization of the game should be prioritized above all else because it would alleviate some of the issues you are having with people asking for ports and repairs. Not nerfing the tools we use to work around broken code.

Just now, Emptiness said:

Interesting. Why do more AGG users not know of this? And how do we spread that information more widely?

Coincidentally  there was a NQ person on discord at the time i was asking about that.. It is being worked on..

2 minutes ago, FatRillos said:

The optimization of the game should be prioritized above all else because it would alleviate some of the issues you are having with people asking for ports and repairs. Not nerfing the tools we use to work around broken code.

This. And if some people are abusing the tools .. make that actionable / against the EULA?

15 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Speak to me like I'm a toddler viewing this for the first time, haha! What are the wonky mechanics, specifically? What problem does Alt F4 solve? 

Scenario 1) you crash when flying heavy ship in atmosphere (usually near market)

If you login you don't have forward speed so you fall down a little and alt+f4 to stop it again. Repeat until you are safely landed and take off.

Scenario 2) You kill a ship, he stops instantly, you alt+f4 to follow his maneuver. There is no other way.

Scenario 3) You get up from your seat at 30,000 km in space. When you sit down you get script error. Game unloads part of your ship at high speed. The only way to get back in control I found is to alt+f4 it will stop the ship and i can enter seat without getting script error. Yea i lose fuel but at least i can get control of the ship.

Fix those issues then disable alt+f4 or disconnect stops. 

Currently it will make more problems than it fixes.

13 minutes ago, Umibozu said:

NQ-Naunet it seems like you are a newbie when it comes to DU gameplay.

We invite you to play as one of us, as this is the only way to see, what we have to deal within the game in regards to multitude of issues.

I am somewhat of a newbie because I've only been at the company for a few weeks now. :) 

General gameplay doesn't elude me (because I play DU and have played similar games in the past), but when we get into workarounds and bugs I'm still trying to get the lay of the land.

When DevBlogs like this drop, I like to *really* understand what all of you went through pre and post changes, you know? That's why I'm asking for people to handle me with kid gloves in this thread. I really want to know the full story - it'll only serve to improve my responses in the future!

2 hours ago, XKentX said:

1) I pursue ship in PVP.

2) He logs off (instantly stops).

3) I slow down, turn around, approach it.

4) He logs back in and is flying at 30,000 km/h away from me while I have 0 speed.

ARE YOU NUTS ?

Does anyone thinks about those changes at all ?

Please make the ship at least stop if it was shot at in the last 10 minutes (shot, not targeted, targeting can be abused in the safe zone, shooting cannot)

THIS^  What happens if you log out when engaged in PVP or being perused and not even fired on yet?  This could be so game breaking I would just give up playing.  There has to be no way to do this if there is even a ship within 2 SU of you!  Maybe you don't have to use more fuel but now the person perusing you has to fully brake then never be able to catch you again because you shoot right back up to full speed.   INSANITY!

5 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Scenario 1) you crash when flying heavy ship in atmosphere (usually near market)

If you login you don't have forward speed so you fall down a little and alt+f4 to stop it again. Repeat until you are safely landed and take off.

The proposed changes would keep the forward speed of the ship when you log back in.

Now, the question is: is the speed kept when you log in, or when you get back into the control seat?

Should be when the player gets back into the control seat IMO.