DevBlog: The Maneuver Tool and Disconnecting Ships - DUscussion thread

NQ-Pann

For everyone that seems to be making an issue about instability and crashing their ships (yes I do acknowledge that this is very good for people like me in the business of rescue and repair) some player able mitigation techniques are to carry scrap on you and better yet to have a friend that can access your pilots seat in the event you are pulled out of the game. I know its not the best solution and if its not broken don't fix it, but its what we got right now. Adapt and change or get left behind.

The current repair system we got is an easy catch all, lord knows how much that might change in the future but the current three lives thing is actually a bonus compared to what we used to have prior to now.

You drive with a doughnut in the back don't you? Why aren't you flying with scrap as well?

I want to add to the others who have pointed out that Anti-Gravity Generators absolutely need to stay in an 'on' state regardless of player proximity if this is changed. Currently the only way to safely disembark from one is to log in and log out so the ship freezes in place; otherwise, it's basically going to fall to earth behind you.

Unless, of course, the design intent is to require infrastructure at both ends of the journey and add even *more* AGG platform towers scattered around the game world.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGamer said:

So we are loosing the only way to insure our Agg does not fall out of the sky...Im with others...fix the problems BEFORE fixing the methods to work around said problems. Scrap market going to skyrocket in price. All those AGG Haulers falling like rain with no way to stop it LOL...

I have no sympathy for people with AGG. It's a broken element/mechanic in the first place. Being able to float forever without using any fuel or energy?  Ya I highly doubt its gonna work that way forever, so basically don't get use to AGG in its current form anyway. 

Currently the only safe way to make your AGG ship safely stand STILL in one spot, is to relog. Then it stands still. If i dint use force respawn or anything like that the ship will often not be still and fixated. 

If done wrong, this will kill the use of all AGG ships. We wont be able to use them anymore.

So pls make sure that there is a way to STOP the AGG ships before you implement the changes.

These changes are already dialed in for the patch I expect will arrive in two weeks. NQ never leaves room to respond to feedback on these.

Also, once more NQ is vastly overreacting and nerfing a mechanic too far to "fix" a minor "creative" use by limiting purposeful use. a 50M range is nothing. Just prohibit the use of the tool unless you are on a static construct or on the ground and then again, it's hardly an issue I'd expect NQ to prioritize over the many, many issues that need urgent attention.

The "continue where you left off on disconnect" wil just cause a boatload of tickets and not actually address actual abuse of the mechanic in for instance PVP situations where you get chased, you ALT-F4, freeze and chaser overshoots, you log back on and you are behind him and now AT FULL SPEED instantly. Nice buff  /s

1 minute ago, Ligator said:

Currently the only safe way to make your AGG ship safely stand STILL in one spot, is to relog. Then it stands still. If i dint use force respawn or anything like that the ship will often not be still and fixated. 

If done wrong, this will kill the use of all AGG ships. We wont be able to use them anymore.

So pls make sure that there is a way to STOP the AGG ships before you implement the changes.

This is good anyway, you shouldn't be able to use AGG without some sort of fuel or sustained energy.  My guess is they dont care about AGG cause its horribly broken, and wont fix it until its balanced anyway. Sorry your EZ mode isnt going to last, as it was never really intended, but devs with a lower budget have to prioritize, that's what you are seeing here.

40 minutes ago, XKentX said:

1) I pursue ship in PVP.

2) He logs off (instantly stops).

3) I slow down, turn around, approach it.

4) He logs back in and is flying at 30,000 km/h away from me while I have 0 speed.

+1

1 minute ago, JohnnyTazer said:

This is good anyway, you shouldn't be able to use AGG without some sort of fuel or sustained energy.  My guess is they dont care about AGG cause its horribly broken, and wont fix it until its balanced anyway. Sorry your EZ mode isnt going to last, as it was never really intended, but devs with a lower budget have to prioritize, that's what you are seeing here.

If the intention of AGG ships is not that you can operate it solo, and thus leave the ship if necessary, then it ademittedly is very sad

Nevertheless NQ needs to adress this issue. Because a change like this will TOTALLY alter the use of AGG ships.

• A ship will not be able to move more than 50m in total between accumulated uses of the tool. The distance between the start and end points is added at each run of the tool. The moved distance is reset after three minutes to ensure that players aren’t stuck forever. It is, of course, a per-construct limitation. 

You do realize that a large core ship can be up to 128m on a side, yes? How does a flat 50m total make sense, given that info?

Make it 250m total, instead. 

Yet another change made by devs who don't play their own game.

7 minutes ago, Ligator said:

If the intention of AGG ships is not that you can operate it solo, and thus leave the ship if necessary, then it ademittedly is very sad

Nevertheless NQ needs to adress this issue. Because a change like this will TOTALLY alter the use of AGG ships.

It's not about solo or not, it's that it takes no "fuel" for something INSANELY powerful. So the devs probably dont have their priority toward it until they fix that issue. 

Like a warp drive, AGG should have fuel cells to power it. Tho maybe not as expensive as warp, but same concept behind it.

This change along with the destructive elements. Just another nail in the coffin for me.

If NQ just spent a fraction of the time making this game actually fun rather thant destroying the fun it would be a good game. I dont know if you have noticed NQ but everything in this game is a work around to whatever you create because its limited, short sighted, and stringent. Its becoming more and more of an unpaid job rather than a game at this point and if it keeps up im gone.

The maneuver tool is one of those things that is completely necessary for daily gameplay in its current state. There are so many bugs, lag, graphic lag, and a whole host of issues that require the current state of the tool. Are people exploiting it? Don't know if you have noticed NQ but everyone is exploiting everything especially with LUA scripts and you are totally cool with that...

Make the game fun. Make the game actually playable first without adding grief loops and get the hell out the way.

The problem as I see it is that these choices are made at a level where no realistic understanding of the impact exists and there is no control mechanic to adjust these ideas. Well, there is (ATV) but it's pretty much unused it seems and for a large amount ATV consists of players who are not even active in game.

NQ seems to not yet realize there is no more short test sessions with new patches, they need to get in and hit the ground running, there is no room for mistakes causing outages and potential need to rollback.

7 minutes ago, Umibozu said:

Does decision making  NQ staff actually play the game?

No way. They are in the dream of game being "near perfect creation".

Reality will hit hard when there is a time for people to renew their subs.

+ from what I know, all those beta keys etc were hoarded in masses by small amount of people. They will not be extending their subs by paying subs they only need them now until the rest of their alts train up the skills.

1 hour ago, TheGeek said:

If I can't maneuver tool the voxel board that Yeeted itself 10km away back to my base, then what do I do? Fix game breaking bugs before nerfing the tools we would use to compensate for those bugs.

The Alt-F4 was used to compensate for flaky mechanics. Fix your game before nerfing the tools we use to make this game bearable to play.

And nearly nobody travels at sublight speeds anymore, EVERYONE warps. So this nerfing of Alt-F4 only hurts those trying to not have to repair their ships over and over because of game-breaking bugs. And combined with the fact that elements will have a fixed repair amount, you are going to have people ragequitting in droves...

For my own learning, can you delve further into the use of Alt-F4 as a workaround? I'm currently chatting with JC about the feedback in this thread. :) 

Let me start off by saying;  I agree these things need to be done at some point and I have no problem with the tool changes.

I assume someone is testing this stuff out but some obvious things to point out here.

PVP  

1. A person being shot at can log out at full speed.  The ship stops,  the person shooting slows down.  then that original person logs back in still at full speed. getting away because they cant catch back up 

2. A PVP ship being shot at stops the attacking ship rear ends it 

Suggestion:

1.  The ships don't stop when someone logs out.  We can have the ECU for this if it can be triggered with no player online?   (ECU needs serious work)   

2. Maybe they don't stop when they are blown up.  lets get a tractor beam for that and give it a range.  I feel like we are all being served up on silver platters to the XS sniper ships. The amount of effort it takes to steal a ship should be proportional to the amount of time it takes to make / buy the ship.  An L core should never have to fear a single XS ship.  

PVE  

AGG.  

1. AGG stopped @ 1000 m  the player gets disconnected, while building or fixing something on the ship.   When the player loges back in the AGG will be off the ship hits the ground. 

In my opinion most of these changes work well in space but not on planets below a threshold of altitude.