NQPlease... New Unigine update

blazemonger

2 hours ago, Skimus said:

That's nothing! Imagine if we could have proper voxels loading without this drunk LOD rendering and things randomly popping in and out, that would be huge! ;)

it might be a little rough on the average PC to load every single voxel in the entire game at once.  

2 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

well what did you want them to change then?

You can't have your cake and LOD too.

Wait what? I can't have my cake (smooth LOD rendering) and LOD? How that makes sense?

Anyway, I was just loosely pointing out, that before fancy graphics improvements, it would be good to focus on the basic issues with unstable voxels rendering first.

1 hour ago, Skimus said:

Wait what? I can't have my cake (smooth LOD rendering) and LOD? How that makes sense?

Anyway, I was just loosely pointing out, that before fancy graphics improvements, it would be good to focus on the basic issues with unstable voxels rendering first.

What do you mean by smooth though?  As in you don't see it happening?

There is no "issue" that i know of.  Only the matter of balance.

They have to consider...

-System requirements/performance 

-LOD draw distance

-How fast we can travel

Which one of those do you want them change?  Because you can't change one without affecting the other two.

Voxel rendering like planetary voxels? Because other than in build mode I think we only see representation of the mesh server :) 

Anyways, it's been quite some time that I first discovered and mentioned the "back then current" version of Unigine was capable of weather effects like rain and snow and even got nice tearable rags and cloth. I'd think DU should have that capability too already and I keep dreaming of the day NQ got enough spare time to implement it, hehe. Some day maybe...

46 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

-System requirements/performance 

-LOD draw distance

-How fast we can travel

Which one of those do you want them change?  Because you can't change one without affecting the other two.

Wait what again? Why would I want any of this to be changed?

The current poor implementation of LOD switching is one of the most immersion breaking issues for me. When I fly a few hundred meters above the ground, doing the same route over and over again, every time I see different planet scenery.

Sometimes trees pop in all the way to the horizon, sometimes they show only after I landed. Sometimes they show randomly in different places in almost a chessboard pattern.

I fly over strange single-color triangle and suddenly it morphs into full detail mountain. And yesterday I destroyed my ship, because the game did not show the building right before me, but the buildings ~10km away were looking fine.

5 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

What do you mean by smooth though?  As in you don't see it happening?

There is no "issue" that i know of.  Only the matter of balance.

I really hope that especially elements will get more LOD levels in game so they are visible from longer distances. I guess SC level distance is asking a bit much (there's I believe 12 LOD levels there currently, even for stuff like rocks) but it would be nice to see more than a slab of voxel material from more than 200 meters

I can see how that is not an immediate priority though and could see that happen past release..

On 11/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, Atmosph3rik said:

it might be a little rough on the average PC to load every single voxel in the entire game at once.  

Well, that's not how the game works... 
They have a cache to store data of places you have been to make it faster for the next time - In theory this works, In reality, Not so, as it's a voxel editing game, so chances of the cache staying the same is slim between visits.
Not too mention render distance, so your not loading every voxel in the game at once... It's within distance.

Second point, Is this would mean NQ eventually having to make a lot more of the graphics client side, rather than server side (One of the main reasons the planets are mainly all barren) With the server dictating the graphic settings, It not only affects performance but also affects player/client performance.

It would be good if they updated to that though, and actually had some pleasing graphics :)