Why this game is not what I expected ...

apollo0510

To begin with, I must admit, that the building part and the flying around part of this game is super fun and extremely addictive.

The hunt for high value ore ( not T1 ) can be fun. For a while.

And then you start to ask yourself : "why ?"

And after a while you realize, there is no reason to play this game.

You spend hundreds of hours to mine your ore, to build your base, to marvel at your latest constructions ....

... and then you look around and see : nothing. nobody. 

And when you try to evaluate, WHY you need to mine that meganode, the only conclusion is, fear.

Fear, that sombody else might take it away from you.

You have to be first, or its gone.

That is the driving force in this game.

And honestly I hate that.

I have decided, that this game is not good for me. because of that. In eve online I can go on holidays, and rest assured, those belts

will be fresh and juicy whenever I log back in to continue my gameplay.

Same in World of Warcraft. I can stop my progression whenever I want, log out, have a good rest and sleep well, and continue my

gameplay happily some days later.

Not this game. this game destroys real life.

Because its main gameplay is driven by this instinct, that one looses stuff when NOT playing.

And of course I simply miss content. I honestly expected to find a better eve online here.

I was looking foreward to build cannons and shoot everything thats moving in space.

Now guess what, nothing is moving in space.

I did not realize when I subbed, that the devs clearly ruled out NPC combat. ever.

Not my game. sorry. I am a mission runner. 

Again, not my game.

Well, and the bugs. Sure, its a beta. I have been watching what the devs are doing during the last 4 months. I installed some logic gates on a dedicate wall with some buttons. And after every patch I tried the buttons. And after every patch, those super simple logic gates still failed. For 4 months. And we are talking about a super stupid XOR gate. Every day I was fighting my way through the silly login crashes. And I was wondering : " If they can not fix a single XOR, how on earth are they supposed to EVER fix that complicated crash when the game engine is starting " ?  

In other words, I lost hope, that this game could turn into something that I like. 

Thats why my sub is running out.

Bring content, and I will have a look again. And no, nobody can haz my stuff.

cu.

14 minutes ago, Ninator said:

And when you try to evaluate, WHY you need to mine that meganode, the only conclusion is, fear.

Fear, that somebody else might take it away from you.

You have to be first, or its gone.

That is the driving force in this game.

Reading that invoked a response in me of existential terror. Thanks for that.

Nice way to cut to the heart of the primal question: Why?

13 minutes ago, Ninator said:

I have decided, that this game is not good for me. because of that. In eve online I can go on holidays, and rest assured, those belts

will be fresh and juicy whenever I log back in to continue my gameplay.

Same in World of Warcraft. I can stop my progression whenever I want, log out, have a good rest and sleep well, and continue my

gameplay happily some days later.

Not this game. this game destroys real life.

Because its main gameplay is driven by this instinct, that one loses stuff when NOT playing.

Agreed 100%.

Actualy very good point made.

DU definitly has this nasty "negative motivation" vibe because of semi-finite resources. While it not have such drammatic effect on me (to quiting level), its still bothers me on background from time to time and forced me to mine far beyond my comfortable level and time frames.

Yet, pretty soon, I think, we recieve some re-newable sources, because of newer players pressing NQ about T4-T5 (that are harder to find every passing day). So I hope OP guy find new stamina to give game another run after some rest.

I just spent almost a week on an insane and pointless yet beautiful building and terraforming project. I did not mine a single node. Could not care less if someone else was stealing all the resources. I have my territory, my ore will be there when I need it.

This is a game for creativity, surely. If you want some kind of empire building space combat game there are many better ones to choose from

To me, It's not a game, it's a simulator.  A very cool simulator, definitely, and multi-user too, which is cool.

I know they said no PVE, no missions, no story line to interact with and progress thru.  To me, they'll have to add those things before I'd call it a game.  I do hope they reconsider.  If they do, and add PVE, then it not only becomes a game, but could be a great game.

6 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Actualy very good point made.

DU definitly has this nasty "negative motivation" vibe because of semi-finite resources.

Semi-finite?

...as in half-pregnant?

ore is either finite or is not.

It is absolutely finite. There are very few Pristine tiles left.  Meganodes are being auctioned at higher prices than before or are being silently and efficiently hollowed out by orgs with fleets of triple scanner ships. 

market prices have bottomed out and we are currently in the golden age of expansion. 

but this will not last. Drop into a random hex on Madis, say... Dig down 10 or 20 meters and bump your head through the voxels. You WILL see a filigree of tunnels, as if made by voracious termites burrowing into the world’s interior everywhere you look, eating it from the inside. 

Remember: this game’s beta is still just 1/4 of a year old. And there isn’t even element destruction or widespread PvP yet. 

There will have to be a renewable resource if NQ ever wants to see even any vestiges of a civilized world realized and not just have random abandoned factories and square slabs of cheap grey voxels dotted over an ugly, pockmarked surface every 1.2km. 

And they can’t just keep adding solar systems or the ridiculous nomadic nature of the game’s insane rate of resource consumption and nomadic locust-like plague mentality will merely drive the population to thinner and thinner densities in a game where I can already play for a month on Sanctuary without meeting a single other player. Yes, actually a month, 6km from a market without seeing a single soul. 

there needs to be an impetus to remain in any area for any length of time and if the new system(s) cause everyone to depart then this game will -as I’ve said many times before- just end up a hunter-gatherer, nomadic caravan simulator.   

This is the game, after all, where you have to synthesize marble from limestone and coal and convert coal from underground into wood while trees sit intangibly on the surface and dig down through miles of sand to reach quartz from which to make glass. 

17 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

Semi-finite?

...as in half-pregnant?

Well, semi because:

1) We have rocks (while its minimal ammout), its regeneration still on paper.

2) Obviously some sort of regenerating ores incoming (when and how is another question). So state of fineteness is temporary.

But I agree and expect "ore topics" to pop up more and more starting by Chirstmas/New Year. Initialy T4-T5 only, tho.

28 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

This is the game, after all, where you have to synthesize marble from limestone and coal and convert coal from underground into wood while trees sit intangibly on the surface and dig down through miles of sand to reach quartz from which to make glass. 

Just gonna quote this gem from Discord from ~1.5 months ago:

Womble said: "Their materials science and geology is %&$#ed. Eff You Bee Ay Arrr. Quartz as the source for silicon, when there are oceans and oceans of sand. You can get Calcium out of Limestone, but not Carbon. Coal existing as discrete pockets all over the place on every planet. Viciously reactive metals and gases being used as structural materials, and Gold being the toughest armour. Hope they change much of this because it's just %$&#in' ridiculous when they're aiming at "plausibility" with their Newtonian physics and "complex" manufacturing chains, and adds nothing at all to gameplay."

11 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

1) We have rocks (while its minimal amount), its regeneration still on paper.

True. It's possible to surface mine up to 24k liters of T1 ore per hour, or 14k liters of T2 ore per hour. Tedious and boring, as well.

First off, there is a lot of "Me" in your post. While DU is perfectly playable as a solo player, without the support of an org and other people in it to join forces with when needed your options will be limited, yes. DU is not a game that is geared towards a Solo person achieving everything by themselves.

You find that mega node? Drop a Territory Unit, it's yours and no one can touch it. 7 days after you put the TU down, it can be taken off the tile again and reused elsewhere. In EVE, you go on holidays and someone else drops a citadel near that belt and kills you as soon as you get back to it as they have claimed it for themselves. That belt may also move or next respawn it's contents may not be as rich as previously.

Progression continues as you are offline, your talents keep training and Industry keeps producing, no need for you to be there. And here again, when playing with friends you can divide time up between the group and when you get back on, all the stuff you need wil be there, ready to go.

Frankly, it's all a matter of perspective. You seem to be looking at all this through a lens which from the get go is colored by your opinion of other games and you also seem to be looking through it from a single player experience. All of that is fine, if another game suits you better then go for it but that doe snot make your argument valid beyond the fact you prefer mechanics in other games. There is a lot that needs to get better in DU but you need to keep in mind that a lot of the game mechanics are yet to get in and existing mechanics will go through iterations over the next year or two. It's really not fair to compare to games that have been around for decades.

You hope the game turns in to something you like while it sounds to me you have expectations for the game which were not based on what is in, has been announced or is being worked on but what you like in other games. so without this meant to be negative in any way.. go play those other games you do like.. no shame in that and perfectly fine if DU is not for you.

11 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Yet, pretty soon, I think, we recieve some re-newable sources, because of newer players pressing NQ about T4-T5 (that are harder to find every passing day). So I hope OP guy find new stamina to give game another run after some rest.

I think you have pretty much summed up part of the issue, people panicking over something running out, which actually isnt running out, and which is only used in about 3 useful endgame items.  Why are people even mining T4-5, explain that to me?  Because there is a crazy notion that it has value, when actual it doesnt.......

7 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Why are people even mining T4-5, explain that to me?  Because there is a crazy notion that it has value, when actual it doesnt.......

Well, 3 reasons.

1) There is indeed compoment of pure psychology that people like to have everything + its rare and finite, pleasant to have it like treasure.

2) Later it will be much harder to get for average player (probably spawned only on in PvP zone)

3) Later, again, especialy T2-T5 elements anouncement, such ore will be very likely used more.

You can argue that "later will be later, nothing to worry about now", but most people want to be in advantegous, not disadvantageous position in future (as far they can predict it).

14 hours ago, Moosegun said:

I think you have pretty much summed up part of the issue, people panicking over something running out, which actually isnt running out, and which is only used in about 3 useful endgame items.  Why are people even mining T4-5, explain that to me?  Because there is a crazy notion that it has value, when actual it doesnt.......

I mine T4 because people buy and pay high prices for it. I don't do industry if I can avoid it, so no idea what it's used for.

I don't mine T5 for the same reason. Prices may be high, but the total market volume doesn't justify hauling much of it back to Alioth (usually).

On 11/25/2020 at 11:53 AM, Moosegun said:

Building AGG M is more profitable than building adjusters.