Survivor Bias In DU's Development

Olmeca_Gold

26 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

JC vision "this is game not about mining, so here is your free ore everyday allowance".

He is right that mining shouldn't be a prerequisite of beginning to enjoy the game. He's wrong that to achieve that, they need to provide free ore and kill the value of mining. 

Sure the tutorial can give you some elements and voxels to build with. There should be no expectation of sustained free stuff. That'll get abused so fast. The game needs a plethora of activities to generate basic value. Players should choose one of them.

Well, its not what JC said, its me cruely imagining what he can say : ) It this case, by analogy with some previous things and how they were explained/justified. 

Yep, this is obviously critical, root issue, that only 1 activity generates basic value. We were on this topic endless times in Alpha to level of insanity. Proverbial cart is still there. This why in most MMO games (even not greatly balanced themeselves) people can engage at least in several types of grinds (idealy with different gameplay mechanics accents), then to exchange their "produce". So obvious thing.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:01 AM, le_souriceau said:

At some point of development (when technical viability and survival become priority) NQ visibly "ditched" most of bothering with lore.

Currently DU story is like this:

1) Some old dusty fluff texts about Ark ship mission (pretty boring ones, as for me).

2) Little bit of initialy sanctioned fanfic, that was as I understand retroactivly "cancelled" to serious degree. 

3) AI Aphelia, that... kinda leads all magical invisible bots around and owns stuff, beyond that and being "voice of tutorial" plays no role. Not developed.

4) There is some alien ruins/artefacts as ultra half-assed community "quest line", but its done so badly and obsure way, that most players not even have clue what its about.

I am still trying to figure out who it was that built the districts and markets..

Did the mother-ship come with a workforce of lower class crew that Aphelia put back in the freezer once the work was completed? Or maybe she used remote controlled robots, and then just forgot to give us access to that technology?

7 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I am still trying to figure out who it was that built the districts and markets..

Did the mother-ship come with a workforce of lower class crew that Aphelia put back in the freezer once the work was completed? Or maybe she used remote controlled robots, and then just forgot to give us access to that technology?

I think all that stuff should've been player made. When Beta started, all we should've had is the arkship and a Sanctuary TU.

Of course, that does also create a paradox of sorts. Can't get to Sanctuary without Kergon space fuel. Can't make kergon without industry. Can't create industry without a static core placed. Can't place a static core without a Territory Unit, which cannot be crafted without a static core ...

See the problem?

The entire game design is fundamentally flawed.

I suppose we could've started on Sanctuary with a Sanctuary TU, but still.

I vote for letting market stuff be craftable and removing every single 'Aphelia' one. Districts too.