Discussion about End-warp Obstacles and Ramming

IvanGrozniy

If you warp and on arrival you have a period of, say 60 seconds, in which you are invulnerable, traps and stations would not be an issue. That is the point I tried to make.

This would not change the current way of using warp at all, just add the timer on arrival.

8 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

If you warp and on arrival you have a period of, say 60 seconds, in which you are invulnerable, traps and stations would not be an issue. That is the point I tried to make.

This would not change the current way of using warp at all, just add the timer on arrival.

It's too easy. Much more interesting is the competition between victim and attacker. The outcome of a battle can be decided not only by weapons. Ship weight, skills, ship design. Large ships don't have to fly safely. And small ships should have a great chance to reach safe zone after warp. 

11 minutes ago, Anopheles said:

I don't want any kind of "hand of God/NQ" solution. 

Randomize the exit points and we're all good.

Situation:

"A pilot  flew to the asteroid and saw the miners there. He saw these miners 2 hours ago at the market in Alioth. He knows the vector of their warp and will be able to catch them with his friends."

Randomize spoil the hunt and the game...

30 minutes ago, elizaroff said:

Situation:

"A pilot  flew to the asteroid and saw the miners there. He saw these miners 2 hours ago at the market in Alioth. He knows the vector of their warp and will be able to catch them with his friends."

Randomize spoil the hunt and the game...

The asteroid is still there and radar shows a wide distance.   Work a little.

Hm

i Like 3) reverse ramming logic (if you fly into stuff it should break, maybe you as well)

But maybe improve it with "focus "sensors that can detect 5-10 su ahead in warp, and maybe 1-5 su in cruise mode and allow us to modified default range for when to abandon jump if at warp,  or break and turn if in cruise mode , i am sure in time you could even program an autopilot to avoid as well, this should all be in realism and physic of the game.

Otherwise warp should be in its own bubble not abel to hit any thing or one while in own warp (i still want option 3 though clearing up the space and air lanes) ?

1 hour ago, Anopheles said:

The asteroid is still there and radar shows a wide distance.   Work a little.

We need to think about asteroids now. In order not to add crutches (scramblers, interdictors, cloacking devices,invulnerables...)  like in EvE  ))) 

DU has physics. There is no physics in EvE. The CCP game has a set of abstract rules, just like DOTA. Eve is a different class of games. There are other projects that you can benefit from.  Why take out EvE's trash?

All this pathetic talk about Eve... if you want to play Eve so bad then go away and play Eve. No one will miss you! This is, for the record, Dual Universe. Just in case some of you haven't figured it out. 

As for a solution.... learn to pay attention? If you're ignorant enough to fly somewhere and not look where you're going then you deserve to loose your ship. Funny.... its just like driving a car! YOU hit something, its YOUR fault! Take responsibility for YOUR actions! Then learn from YOUR mistakes, or potentially the mistakes of others coming here crying about making said mistake, and don't blindly fly... anywhere!

PSA from the Board of Personal Accountability

8 minutes ago, SMooreace said:

As for a solution.... learn to pay attention? If you're ignorant enough to fly somewhere and not look where you're going then you deserve to loose your ship. Funny.... its just like driving a car! YOU hit something, its YOUR fault! Take responsibility for YOUR actions! Then learn from YOUR mistakes, or potentially the mistakes of others coming here crying about making said mistake, and don't blindly fly... anywhere!

You didn't really get it... after ending your warp, you may collide straight into the obstacle - in that case you've NO chance to avoid it!

For instance, immediately after a warp I'm always braking to a full stop, and once in a while an obstacle passes me quite close... lucky me. A bit more in that direction and I would have been space dust.

33 minutes ago, SMooreace said:

All this pathetic talk about Eve... if you want to play Eve so bad then go away and play Eve. 

...with suicide gankig, craziest implants and drugs, agromagement in Osmon, Magic Triglavian ships... gate camps, cynos, undock-masturbation....

Confused, firstly I didnt think there were fixed warp point, only a fixed distance you arrive from the planet.  So this is only a problem is you fly direct lanes.  Also, if you turn off your engines during warp, dont you arrive pretty much standing still?

Easy solution though, would be to turn off collisions for a short period of time, like they do when you start warping (you can travel through objects when you start a warp)

Personally I would like to see the distance you arrive at to be a bit more random anyway, and often finish outside the safe zone, this would make the game so much more interesting.  And by the time players are visiting the outer planets, they should be prepared for pvp.

16 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Also, if you turn off your engines during warp, dont you arrive pretty much standing still?

Not quite, when you exit warp your ship slows down to a full stop. There are reports of people crashing into constructs during that particular time. In other words there are two cases:
1) Player ends warp, spools up engines, not realizing there is a construct just ahead... or they just don't pay attention, planet gravity starts pulling them. and there is a net just ahead.
2) Player ends warp and crashes into a construct BEFORE reaching 0 velocity - when you arrive at a warp exit your ship is supposed to slow down all the way to 0.

9 hours ago, Moosegun said:

Confused, firstly I didnt think there were fixed warp point, only a fixed distance you arrive from the planet.  So this is only a problem is you fly direct lanes. 

If a ship gets hit by a collision, then the space station should also be damaged. There should be no one-sided game. Ок?

3 minutes ago, elizaroff said:

There should be no one-sided game. Ок?

You do realize this will result in legions of disposable suicide vessels composed of a grid of voxels with some engines using autopilot scripts to do perfect collisions with innocent space stations at 29,999km/h.

4 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

You do realize this will result in legions of disposable suicide vessels composed of a grid of voxels with some engines using autopilot scripts to do perfect collisions with innocent space stations at 29,999km/h.

... to do perfect collisions with legions of disposable suicide space stations at 29,999km/h. )))) Easy loot, easy frag.  

2 minutes ago, _Kiwi_ said:

Does anyone have a video of it happening?

No, because it is not really a problem, it is a minor irritation which will probably be removed in further development but someone is going to make a massive deal out of it and act like it is game breaking...... seen it all before

I have not read every reply so forgive me if this has been mentioned.  I tried to think of the simplest solution possible (and one that hopefully wont require too much programming)

Warp Beacon:  Instead of coming out at a specific location its a general location.  So you emerge at random anywhere within a 200km diameter.  Building in that space is not possible (for immersion we can say that warp beacons emit an anti gravity pulse that pushes stations away).

Anyway,  so far, I have found Alioth to be the most dangerous place in DU.  All of the random crap just floating around.  I mean containers at 1000m  just floating there and random blocks from constructs or towers that players have tried to remove.

2 hours ago, _Kiwi_ said:

I have not video. A few minutes ago I flew from Ion  to Symeon. After the warp, I saw THIS))) Station with a metal mesh. I had zero speed and flew cautiously for several kilometers. I have not seen more stations. Then he turned on the engine and began landing. One station is not a problem. If there are 100, it will start to create BIG problems.

While I can recommend after the jump to fly slowly for several kilometers and look around. You must have the means and the willingness to slow down quickly

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 2:04 AM, _Kiwi_ said:

Of course there isn't, because its not actually happening to anyone unless they don't pay attention. A video would show that to be the case. Though next we will see someone suicide impact to "prove its real".... with a ship with little to no brakes so it APPEARS they are trying to slow but actually couldn't stop if their life actually DID depend on it! 

If/when NQ catches up and decides this is unwanted behavior, they have multiple simple options that would solve this..

- randomize warp end points

- implement a non collision zone around warp points

- apply a non-collision timer to ships leaving warp

But knowing NQ, they will probably come up with something completely different that has unplanned consequences or hampers other parts of game play..