Some questions (pvp)

Osyraa

Will a single person be able to pilot a very large ship and fire its weapons, just at lower efficiency than a crew using the weapons?

Are "auto defenses" going to be a thing in one way or another with restrictions and such?

are cloaking devices still gonna be a thing?

None of this is meant to imply complaint, and I know things are still up in the air. Thanks

36 minutes ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

Will a single person be able to pilot a very large ship and fire its weapons, just at lower efficiency than a crew using the weapons?

Are "auto defenses" going to be a thing in one way or another with restrictions and such?

no

On dynamic cores, I doubt it. On static constructs, possibly, if not likely.

I hope not. Stealth could be fun but cloaks not so much IMO

All IMO and afaik obviously

47 minutes ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

No, not really. Your standard hover seat can only fire 3 XS weapons with a small radar, and this is with maxed out talents. Any reasonable sized weapons will need gunners.

49 minutes ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

Not on ships. 

50 minutes ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

I certainly hope not. Stealth in PvP games has proven time and time again to only be used for alpha-strike ganks.

What you're saying is what I'm saying I'd like to see. Im not saying it should be something that makes you undetectable. Im just saying it would be cool to have a stealth mechanic that also applied a cloak effect to your ship. There is no difference. 

Does someone have to be flying the ship for the gunner to function? like could a person exit the flight controller and go to the gunner seat

2 minutes ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

What you're saying is what I'm saying I'd like to see. Im not saying it should be something that makes you undetectable. Im just saying it would be cool to have a stealth mechanic that also applied a cloak effect to your ship. There is no difference. 

Does someone have to be flying the ship for the gunner to function? like could a person exit the flight controller and go to the gunner seat

Yes this technically works, but it is impractical. In order to have a decent hit chance, the pilot is making constant adjustments to both speed and vector. 

2 hours ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

no what? I was told by devs and players for a long time that we were gonna be able to do inneficient scripts on weapons on ships to make them fire. 

oh no it has been verry clear from the start that if we wanted large fighting ships with multiple guns. that we were going to have to have a crew of people manning them.  

that they want no or as little automated battle as possible.   they don't want this to be a game of "who is the best coder"  

so i don't know who told you that.  but it wasn't the devs.  and they were lying to get you to play.     

2 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

I certainly hope not. Stealth in PvP games has proven time and time again to only be used for alpha-strike ganks.

not in starmade. 

you either made a small cloack ship.  or a big weapon ship.   

i played starmade early early game back when it was still possible to get absolute insane amounts of generated power.  many many times more then the max you can achieve now.  

i was a solo player with an actual borg cube. (colors and shapes and everything) and it had a several dozen docked power cores wich were at the hardcap of power you could generate on a single craft. and then transferred that power to the ship they were docked to with a beam. and still you could not keep it cloaked for more then a few seconds.   because the powercost went up exponantially with ship size.  not to mention the amount of cloacking generator blocks you needed.  

so there deffinatly are ways to propperly balance cloaking. 

and then ofcourse introduce a method of finding cloaked ships with alot of effort.   so there is this side of pvp created where people are hauling small loads with cloak and no weapons.  and people with weapons trying to find the cloaked ships that are now slow boating instead of warping. 

in eve there is a cooldown on being able to fire after dropping out of cloak (same thing on starmade btw)  

3 hours ago, Darkracer125 said:

oh no it has been verry clear from the start that if we wanted large fighting ships with multiple guns. that we were going to have to have a crew of people manning them.  

that they want no or as little automated battle as possible.   they don't want this to be a game of "who is the best coder"  

so i don't know who told you that.  but it wasn't the devs.  and they were lying to get you to play.     

I dont think this is factually correct. Some of the earliest discussions of static constructs were talking about automated defenses so the station can defend itself. I think we are going to see some ability for scripting targeting and firing but will be limited in how many lines of code we can do and things like that. It was explained that way by jq in early interviews.

2 minutes ago, DylTheRipper13 said:

I dont think this is factually correct. Some of the earliest discussions of static constructs were talking about automated defenses so the station can defend itself. I think we are going to see some ability for scripting targeting and firing but will be limited in how many lines of code we can do and things like that. It was explained that way by jq in early interviews.

you were talking about ships pal.  

I'm a cloaking enthusiast in Eve, but DU can apply the concept of stealth without cloaking devices. Radar detection reduction is all one would need to get stealth ships in this game really. Applied finely, this would have been super interesting. I have a fully fleshed out post about this in the ideas section.