Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.

Emptiness

Why is this a thing? We shouldn't have to pick and choose which posts we want to react to in a given time period.

And also, why does this forum only offer one reaction option (like)? We need more than just Like. We need Thanks, Laughing, Sad, Embarrassed, and maybe some others too.

Hey! I'm back!

I've been rooting around in the back end of these forums, and I've found where reactions live. Woo!

The current limit appears to be set to 10 reactions per day, and I suspect it was set this way because reactions have an impact on everyone's forum reputation. (For anybody reading who isn't sure what a forum reputation is, it's the little green number you see below your current forum rank. In the example below, you can see it appear right under the word "Member". It indicates the number of 'likes' that member has received.) ?

image.png

Having said that, I don't see why we can't change it up. :) I've also found where the other reactions live, so it seems possible to enable a wider variety outside of our current "like" button.

As I'm a newer staff member, I hope you don't mind that I'm going to poll the rest of the Community team to see what they think about making these changes. I'm almost certain whoever set up the DU forums had their reasons for the current configuration, but let's see if we can't freshen things up a bit!

I'll get back to you on this. ❤️
 Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

17 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

As I'm a newer staff member, I hope you don't mind that I'm going to poll the rest of the Community team to see what they think about making these changes. I'm almost certain whoever set up the DU forums had their reasons for the current configuration, but let's see if we can't freshen things up a bit!

Thank you!

27 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

My pleasure!

I apologize in advance, but I was forced to remove my 'like' of your second post here so that I could give it to someone else.

45 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

The current limit appears to be set to 10 reactions per day, and I suspect it was set this way because reactions have an impact on everyone's forum reputation.

I assume that this was put in place to prevent people from endlessly posting and liking each other's posts to inflate their reputation rapidly.

What if there was instead a limit of reactions per unique profile per day, with a larger or uncapped limit for how many different unique profiles one reacted to?

18 hours ago, Emptiness said:

I apologize in advance, but I was forced to remove my 'like' of your second post here so that I could give it to someone else.

I assume that this was put in place to prevent people from endlessly posting and liking each other's posts to inflate their reputation rapidly.

What if there was instead a limit of reactions per unique profile per day, with a larger or uncapped limit for how many different unique profiles one reacted to?

Hahaha, don't you worry!! Hand out the 'likes' to other players first. :) I'll survive!

Your assessment is probably bang on, and I like your solution. Seems simple enough to implement! I'll see if there's some way to set that up in the back end.

42 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Hahaha, don't you worry!! Hand out the 'likes' to other players first. :) I'll survive!

Your assessment is probably bang on, and I like your solution. Seems simple enough to implement! I'll see if there's some way to set that up in the back end.

You did talk to the other CMs first, correct? xD

18 hours ago, Emptiness said:

Here, I'll help out - Naunet can have one of mine ;) 

Not just to chime in for you tho, but because I love the feeling of someone on the team "being open about stuff" and sharing thoughts, not too scared off by the idea of being overruled and having to sail back eventually. Kinda exactly the feeling that was a bit lacking for way too long. I always felt like it started with some NMS comment JC made during Kickstarter - never wanted to even ponder too loud about something that might not come into the game. Was just an impression that stuck around for me tho :) 

On topic: I'm not the most active member here and I'm not reading every post by far, but even I ran into that limit occasionally. Sure, I have spikes in presence but still, the limit and how it's implemented doesn't feel good. The term "today" alone is weak - what does that mean? If I reach it and decide to keep a tab open to add my reaction for a very good comment later, what should I set my timer for? If it literally is "today" I think the concept behind it is seriously lacking and should at least be something like "in the past 24 hours" (which I presume it is, but that's not clear). Example for reference: if it was 24 likes/day and resets at 00:00 o'clock, you'd have issues if you use the member's time zone as constraint that he could circumvent - but if you use 00:00 UTC you'd have people in the forums from 22:00 to 02:00 maybe and if they were late yesterday and early today they'd run into a limit that would feel random and for them reset at something like 18:00. The free 100k credits in DU have a timeout of 23h, which is a better solution. Since it's easier to code than dealing with timezones I guess the forum does the same and it's just the message that is poorly phrased, probably... but if some dev decided to use "count where date = today" it's just as easy as a "count where now -86400 <= timestamp"... you never know when a dev's brain ran out of coffee, so might be worth to check, hehe.

But it's a minor issue. I realize the paragraph above might sound more irritated than I actually am about it. The frightening thing is that I could lose myself in hypotheses and concepts for a couple of more pages, so I'll better stop while I can... :D  .oO( Thinking about modding this board too much. I'd probably add multiple constraints and create gradients that allow short term spikes while limiting long term excessive abuse... but wouldn't want to run into the too-modded-to-update trap... entirely depends on this 3rd party app's framework... oh dang it, note to myself: stop it already! )

1 hour ago, vertex said:

"in the past 24 hours" (which I presume it is, but that's not clear).

I don't know for certain, but I believe that to be the case, as well. I've noticed that after time passes, I can add more likes, but never 10 in a single sitting.

edit: and confirmed. was able to add 3-4 in a few minutes, but no more

And I need a dislike button for people pushing their own agenda on completely unrelated topics :D 

But I think dislike buttons don't foster constructivity or lead to good relations - all they do is giving people a way to vent at the expense of the receiver who might not feel welcome anymore, even if there would be plenty of others who share their view. If we want to keep the general spirit of the community on the constructive side and people commenting in a way that's adding to the topic and kindness and prospering conversation instead of flame wars and trolling, a dislike button is out of the question. If someone wants to disagree, like I do with the request for a dislike button and thereby give somewhat negative feedback, they should be willing to take the effort and extra step to address it and provide a reason, as I feel I'm doing right now.

Someone I don't remember once said that it takes 10 positive interactions to make up for 1 negative one. Yet I feel that some frustrated or vexed people are more likely to vent by smacking a dislike button than people who are satisfied are likely to remember to like something before moving on. Speaking for myself only, but if I encounter something I strongly disagree with, it makes me slow down and try to fix it, while something I like makes me want more and carry on, getting in the flow and being more likely to forget about giving feedback. The like button enables me to give that feedback, even if I have nothing to add, which is fine in that situation. The dislike button on the other hand enables me to give feedback too, but leaves the reasoning behind it completely in the open - just saying "that's wrong" doesn't help anyone improve. "How do you like my new ice cream flavor?" - "I don't!" - "Why, what's wrong, too sweet?" - "I just don't like it." - "Too fruity? Too sour? Too soft? What shall I do?" - "Search for another job!" ... there will be some grinning but it doesn't help the producer move forward and improve.

Some people would hit the dislike button for bad grammar or errors in spelling, targeting a non-native language writer, while some would hit the like button for a violation of etiquette or trolling. In my opinion both is wrong, but the dislike does more bad to the non-native writer than it would do good on the troll, while a like on the writer could encourage him to overcome his reluctance to continue to write in that foreign language he's learning, boost his confidence and in time he might improve on his language skills, whereas the troll may experience positive reinforcement too, but be handled by forum staff sooner or later. A constructive member that turned away is harder to be reached out to.

A "disagree" button maybe, but again, if people want to disagree they should do so by writing a reply and provide a better idea or at least explain what they think is wrong with it.

However, I think we could do with a "please don't quote like that" button... shamelessly pushing my own agenda here after I feel I wrote enough to make up for it above ?

51 minutes ago, vertex said:

And I need a dislike button for people pushing their own agenda on completely unrelated topics :D 

I 'liked' the post above yours emotionally, then after reading your post, realized it wasn't quite logical and un-liked it and liked yours. A lot of good points there...

On 11/23/2020 at 11:13 AM, Emptiness said:

Why is this a thing? We shouldn't have to pick and choose which posts we want to react to in a given time period.

And also, why does this forum only offer one reaction option (like)? We need more than just Like. We need Thanks, Laughing, Sad, Embarrassed, and maybe some others too.

I wanted to like your post but alas all ten have been used. Sorry. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 11:18 AM, NQ-Naunet said:

@NQ-NaunetAny updates on this?

I just did an experiment for ~Science~. I unliked 7 posts from days ago, re-liked them, then was only able to like 3 new posts, implying that unliking a post causes the reaction to just get eaten by the limit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 3:30 AM, Emptiness said:

@NQ-Naunet You said you were looking at that more than two weeks ago. We are still limited to 10 reactions per day. Any news?

With the preparation for and release of 0.23, the task of finding out if we can raise the reaction limit on the forums has creeped down my personal priority list.

We are still planning to update the overall look of the forums, and I suspect once we get our designer on that job we'll revisit the matter of reacts. :) 

I will say that, upon pondering it further, I do wonder if giving people the option of a "dislike" will be detrimental to the overall quality of discussion. I see it frequently on places like Reddit, where the 'downvote' button is supposed to be used to dampen irrelevant content but is, unfortunately, frequently used to 'brigade' people or express discontent/anger instead. (@vertex makes this point very well in their post further up this topic.)

Just now, Bobbie said:

To be honest i feel the same way about "likes". They don't promote quality, just popularity. And no, those are not the same. More often than not it's lowest common denominator.

I've been on forums where the "likes" option was actually removed at some point, and people reported how their experience of the place had improved, as they realized how they were (mis)using the number of likes on posts to judge them, instead of actually reading and employing independent critical thought.

Hahaha I realized that I 'liked' your post out of habit upon reading - oh, the irony! ?

This is good to ponder! A post with a high number of 'likes' may discourage people from voicing opposing opinions lest they earn the ire of the 'popular' group. I haven't seen anything like that take place here (that I know of), but I'm definitely going to keep it in mind. :)