Element destruction and playing Mario

XKentX

From the announced dev blog, any crash will now render elements "modified", 3 crashes make them requiring a replacement.

Plan A: 10 cans of hematite to crafting queue, AGG ship above District 6 market. Let's play Mario jumping on the turtles.

Plan B: Nanopack skills to max, Catalyst 3 full inventory, AGG ship above District 6 market, let's play Mario jumping on the turtles.

For those who are less familiar with game mechanics: If an avatar with mass X jumps on top of your ship while you are flying. X-20tons is added to your ship mass instantly. Full inventory of catalyst 3 is >3,000 tons.

Thoughts ?

2 hours ago, XKentX said:

If an avatar with mass X jumps on top of your ship while you are flying

Does the "Board Construct" right function? If it does, then by default, ships will not let anyone except the owner 'board' it, and what you're describing won't work.

If that right doesn't function.. then it needs to be fixed, asap.

I remember being slapped to other people constructs just when bypassing them in the market. Once it almost flew away with me while I was just passing by it.

It's not as critical as you just waste some scrap if it happens now so no biggie but with element destruction it can turn into a griefing activity without any way of protecting yourself from the Mario heroes.

Like I am coming from EVE online, people get creative to grief there. No wonder that same will happen here.

3 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

Why would you land a ship that big at a market? Park it at 1 km.

I don't have big ships at all, I will only have my L core with the AGG and a voxel cube at 1km while playing Mario.

You should probably get to District 6 and ask the guys there.

2 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

AGG resists gravity directly. Increasing the mass will reduce your acceleration, but not crash your ship.

In the OP's example, the AGG ship is the jumping off point for an avatar trying to land on a hovering or flying ship. It is not involved otherwise.

Realistically there are a number of things that have to happen if this system were to come in to DU.

For this Example ill use an L Stabilizer as an example. It has roughly 60k base hp.

What I would like to see is a current HP pool, but also a max durability pool that is at base 10x larger than than the base pool. So technically you could heal it 10 times base before it is actually destroyed. Each time you heal it up would then reduce the total hp pool until it actually breaks and needs to be replacement.

OR every time you do heal it should reduce the HP pool to reflect the damage where it keeps breaking faster and faster until it is unreliable as well as the performance trails off until you need to replace it since you would start at 100% efficiency plus whatever mods are put down. Right now the Talent Tree for HP is pretty much useless unless you are pvp since for no real reason you are healing the item with boosted hp and if you arent PVPing then you are essentially wasting tons of scrap to fix it each time.

I think that if there were talents for base/total hp added to the tree it could possibly work.

But then we come to the finite resource pool which will then require tons more of that pool to be constantly used with no seemingly renewable source and over time scarcity combined with increased requirements of repair along with a new loss of full containers or freight haulers being completely destroyed will deplete the system even faster compounding the issue, not to mention that hyper inflation as the resources are used up and the eventual loss of the 100k daily allowance are sure to put many crews or smaller organizations in game ending situations.

The main thing they need to do right now is to make a sifting machine either ship mounted at a lower capacity and also an industrial variant that takes raw materials like sand, dirt, snow, tundra, etc and allow players to sift the strata and allow players to gain trace amounts of ore from it based on where it comes from in terms of the actual planet or moon in the tags and then allow the players to gain rng based materials to be sifted from the soils.

Mind you the ratio could be like 10 containers of soil base to 1 container output of ore. As it stands those resources are selcom ever collected unless you are doing a teraforming project. Otherwise you just dont collect them or you just throw it away since there is no real need for it. But still with perma tunnels destroying the landscape all those raw resources are just being discarded and wasted when it could be a realistic avenue to making this destroyable element system work.

Besides sifting, we really need a recycling system so that when parts are completely broken and need to be replaced you can take the item to some kind of industry recycling system that mealts down the item back into a fraction of the origional materials used. This would drastically extend the life of DU with finite resources are in play.

Or that when things are damage the hp lost partially or completely should fall off the ship in the form of shards, chunks, and sheets so that when the ship or structure takes damage you can potentially find those pieces and when you use the ground based collection tool to collect those parts that fall off the ship you can regain some of it back in the form of actual scrap. Depending on the size of the pieces you collect should be like stacks of 50/100/250.

Not to mention if that is the way to go NQ really needs to add in various ways to regenerate those soils once all the actual nodes are long gone at some point.

I think as far as the existing nodes that are available a talent or two should be added to condense and create more ore per node. So if you have just a 4k small node the talent would then turn it into the next size up potentially at Tier 5 and generate like 8kl of ore. Or in the same vein (pun intended) there should be a line of talents which then also turn nodes into higher processed versions so that if you had a node of Iron mining it would then turn that ore into pure iron. Or just a talent that gives like 5-25% chance to get pure ore per grab would work too.

An extremely slow landscape heal in unoccupied tiles which should take 1-3 RL months to heal back to pristine would show erosion and yet would likely not take as much resources VS the system EQN Landmark had in which all environmental damage would heal in 30mins. It was. This would help to account for a lot of the damage being done for sifting but also create a renewable resource system that basically comprises 99% of the game surfaces.

And if that is not fast enough NQ can use the perception of an earthquake in unoccupied tiles with just a loud sound heard in tiles nearby and a screen shake if you are close enough. It could be done during patch time potentially or the system could just randomly select a single tile or small line of tiles like a fault line and just instantly reset the whole tile back to pristine condition.

Most if not all of these things are necessary for the longevity of this game if it is to last the next 10 years potentially.

4 hours ago, Emptiness said:

In the OP's example, the AGG ship is the jumping off point for an avatar trying to land on a hovering or flying ship. It is not involved otherwise.

Oh. I thought Mario was jumping on his ship.

If Mario is jumping off the ship he's not likely to hit moving target.

6 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Oh. I thought Mario was jumping on his ship.

If Mario is jumping off the ship he's not likely to hit moving target.

Instead of AGG parked ship you can use "logged-out" parked ship like 100-200m above market platform to increase "Mario accuracy".

Anyway "not likely" does not mean "impossible".

1 minute ago, W1zard said:

you can use "logged-out" parked ship

Or just get a couple M or L dynamic core ramps (8 voxel wide strip the length of the core) and maneuver tool them to get above the market. Maneuver tooled ships ignore physics until one enters a seat.