Game design logic, the vision of DU VS lazy gamers and players' freedom

lucagrabacr

Hard barriers in a sandbox are generally bad. Ideally players should be able to do anything, but not everything, if they want to invest in it — this is pretty obviously in the spirit of the game. Some solutions.

Adding talents for surrogates, as mentioned above, would be great as well. Options, as long as they require investment, are almost always good.

Gunners: Add Gunner AI modules that go in place of Gunner seats. Make them tiered, with high end ones expensive (T5 mats). 

Add long talents, similar to Dredger,  that require all the long combat talents as pre-reqs, make them very  long learn times.

At Max, with talents, and Exotic Combat AI’s, equal to 90 or 95% of the damage and accuracy of a manned weapon, so crewed ships are always the premium min/max, but if someone wants to invest months of talents into solo space combat/ship management, they can compete if at a disadvantage.

Industry on Ships: add Hybrid Cores, can move like Dynamic, can place Industry, but can not have Space Engines, so are planet bound, and Industry Elements add increased tonnage to industry elements when deployed/otherwise reduce speed. So you can have a mobile base, efficient, but not a full factory. Like, more of a hover “crawler” that maybe makes certain parts as it goes or a multipurpose, low automation/high management small factory.

Make then very expensive, obviously. It could be an “endgame” solo player goal and niche use for orgs as mobile/backup strategic factories once there is territory war.

A surrigate should be able to do anything you can. There is no need for surrigate talents if its just you teleporting wherever. You just need to be able to do what your character can normally do until you get back in your body. Done. No extra anything needed.

Unless you have turrets you dont need additional gunners. And if we have surrigates then why cant you just scroll your mouse to different turrets at that point as some kind of view swap? If you can multitask/multibox in other games it should be possible.

Industry on ships would be nice i wont lie. Then again I would have no need for an actual static base at that point so I get it. Though it would be nice to have a mothership.

Personally I would rather have more links than industry on ship or hybrid cores that are like a 2-3x1x1 line type multi core with more links.

1 hour ago, Detroitdregs said:

Gunners: Add Gunner AI modules that go in place of Gunner seats. Make them tiered, with high end ones expensive (T5 mats). 

Add long talents, similar to Dredger,  that require all the long combat talents as pre-reqs, make them very  long learn times.

At Max, with talents, and Exotic Combat AI’s, equal to 90 or 95% of the damage and accuracy of a manned weapon, so crewed ships are always the premium min/max, but if someone wants to invest months of talents into solo space combat/ship management, they can compete if at a disadvantage.

I like this.

58 minutes ago, Warlander said:

A surrigate should be able to do anything you can. There is no need for surrigate talents if its just you teleporting wherever. You just need to be able to do what your character can normally do until you get back in your body. Done. No extra anything needed.

I do wonder why surrogates are so unnecessarily restricted.

By the way, for any NQ that read this thread, I would have just clicked 'like' on both of those posts, but it says I can't add any more reactions today, so I'm forced to make a post to say that I agree. Is this good forums design? See my post over here for more details: 

17 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

This game will be fine because it fulfills a niche people like me need.

there is your problem. people like you are a super small group and the game cannot survive from this tiny group with a subfee model. oh yea elite dangerous great example that proves me right. its still not dead BECAUSE ppl can fly and shoot ALONE. imagine elite dangerous would force group pvp like DU. it would have 1 player now: you

good that you have nothing to decide. DU is already on the wrong path and you would be a speedboost on that path

12 minutes ago, Niemand said:

good that you have nothing to decide. DU is already on the wrong path and you would be a speedboost on that path

Neither do you, and their current design philosophy favors my line of thinking. There are more of us than you think there are, and you are not needed.

I find surrogates a missed opportunity. It's something new & fresh  in a mmo. They should expand on it:

- leveling surrogates instead of a single avatar. put a limit on max talent pts you can invest in a single surrogate.

- level/buy/trade/sell surrogates. Allow surrogate to be shared (one player controlling it at a time). Surrogates are like NPC in fact.

- allow equipment/enhancement on surrogates. require surrogate modification station to change equipment/enhancement so you can't 'in the wild' switch from mining to building  to repair,, etc

- your main body/avatar doesn't exist in the world, you stay in the arch and control surrogates, one at a time but you can switch anytime between the surrogates you have access to.

- allow surrogate to be sent to existing/allowed surrogate pods like now (and jump from pod to pod). restrict inventory like now (a surrogate with at least an item in its nano inventory can't use a surrogate station).

- remove warp drive, let surrogate fly ships. This will allow you to do something else with another surrogate while your ship is on a long trip. This will force people to establish trade routes, share surrogates, etc. the point: change body/move body is fast but moving goods and ships is slow.

This will create a whole new & fresh type of mmo where you play various characters and switch from one to another. AFAIK this hasn't been done already.