NQ-Naunet

DevBlog: Construct Intellectual Property Protection & Blueprints Duplication

Hello everybody,

You've likely already seen the post our beloved SpaceMom made over in Rules & Announcements, but if you haven't... please take a moment to check it out👈

Once you've gotten up to speed, we'd love for you to chat about it right here in this thread. :) 

We're looking forward to reading what you've got to say, Noveans.

DevBlog (1).png

The biggest problem I see with all this is support. What happens when there are bugs, what happend when there are updates? How do I know what is in the programming board is not somehow collecting information which can be used/retrieved.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here but this whole concept will work out counter productive. It wil not in fact stimulate sales for ships in game, i will drive a good bit of arguments and drama on the community channels and may well kick off RMT for real now.

All of this hinges on RDMS working as well and so, what happens when RDMS breaks? Will the code on my ship stop working? Will I lose access to controls? Will I not be able to copy a construct which has rights set for me to do so?

Frankly.. why is NQ spending time on this right now? I'd say there are vastly bigger fish to fry and issues to get sorted right now than this.

If the creator gives "Build Construct" right, what happen to a Control Unit if it is removed from the construct, does it keep the DRM flag and all the dynamic properties?

If yes and if I understood correctly, this would allow us to sell protected Control Units.

If no, will it be implemented?

Also, a suggestion: currently the action "edit lua parameters" for a Control Unit is bound to the right "edit element", I think it would be better to bind it to the right "Use Element" (or create a dedicated new right) to let the new owner customize the Control Unit without gaining access to its lua code.

Guest Wadiss

I think this is super important to figure out now. This is a core feature that I would imagine will be a nightmare to change further down the development line.