PC upgrade desired, gear purchase advice request...

VerZalj

Hey guys,

My PC is a not an antiquity, but it's been a few years. I'm wanting to upgrade my current setup a bit and wanted to see if I could get some advice on what gear is working the best with DU these days

I know we're aren't done optimizing the game yet, but I've looking forward to an increase in FPS for quite some time. 

I'm thinking I should just upgrade my GPU, right now, and start saving for a full PC upgrade to the newest tech in about a year (Christmas 2021). 

I was considering spending about $400 to $500 right now, but I'm not really sure what would be the best bang/buck ratio. 

What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

If a GPU is suggested, which one is working well with DU these days? I prefer NVIDIA if possible

Below is my current configuration, but if I missed a piece of information that might be more helpful, please let me know. 

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • AMD FX-9590 8 CORE 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair liquid cooled cpu heat exchanger with 2 forced draft exhaust fans
  • 500GB samsung ssd, sata 6Gb/s, has OS and DU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 64bit win 10

Anyways, thanks for the consideration!

VerZalj

1 hour ago, VerZalj said:

If a GPU is suggested, which one is working well with DU these days? I prefer NVIDIA if possible

Since nvidia, for that money you could get an RTX 2070super, which works great with DU.

Since the FX-9590 is an AM3+ socket CPU you will not be bale to upgrade to a new CPU on the same motherboard and may need to also update memory when you do upgrade CPU.

If you need to save up, right now I'd wait and start with getting.

ASUS PRIME X570-P (make sure it is upgraded to at least 2802 BIOS to support Zen3)

AMD 5800X (5600X probably fine too but I'd go 5800X)

2x8GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Then as money permits add a Nvidia RTX 3060 (or 3070 if you play at 1440p), another 16GM memory and a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

That would set you up for a good bit of time before you need to upgrade again.

29 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Since the FX-9590 is an AM3+ socket CPU you will not be bale to upgrade to a new CPU on the same motherboard and may need to also update memory when you do upgrade CPU.

If you need to save up, right now I'd wait and start with getting.

ASUS PRIME X570-P (make sure it is upgraded to at least 2802 BIOS to support Zen3)

AMD 5800X (5600X probably fine too but I'd go 5800X)

2x8GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Then as money permits add a Nvidia RTX 3060 (or 3070 if you play at 1440p), another 16GM memory and a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

That would set you up for a good bit of time before you need to upgrade again.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.  I look forward to inputting this into pcpartpicker and saving it for when the time comes. 

I'm also going to keep this current machine as a second machine (family usage) so slightly upgrading it and having it available won't affect a future, ground-up build. 

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Since nvidia, for that money you could get an RTX 2070super, which works great with DU.

Thank you, but it looks like newegg has those priced around $594+.  Just a bit out of this price range. 

Sorry for also asking for shopping advice, but is there a retailer that your would suggest or is the 2060super is also a good option? 

Amazon is all over the place with the search results so I'm skipping them for this purchase. 

2 hours ago, Burble said:

^^^^ what he said..  I'm running an RTX 2060 super and keeping 60fps most of the time. The 2070 super would be quite a good % better again. You have a faster processor than me it looks like. I'm running 32gb of memory but I think that is overkill.

If I may, what brand did you choose?  It seems like there's a significant variation dependant upon that.  

Also, do you have liquid cooling for your your GPU?

Thanks for the help, 

7 minutes ago, VerZalj said:

Thank you, but it looks like newegg has those priced around $594+.  Just a bit out of this price range. 

Sorry for also asking for shopping advice, but is there a retailer that your would suggest or is the 2060super is also a good option? 

Amazon is all over the place with the search results so I'm skipping them for this purchase. 

No idea, since you are in the USA, and I am in Europe. Here you can find the 2070super for ca. 400 Euros everywhere.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I feel like I’ll just go for a 1660 now, and plan for a 3060 later, as suggested. 

Thanks again,

17 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

I’d go for GTX1660 (which is basically a RTX2060 without ray tracing units and is thus cheaper) or wait for the 3060. 
the 2060 is possibly the worst xx60 card value for money you could go for. 

I'm planning on ditching my 5 yr old 5960x 8 core/X99 mobo for an amd 5950 16 c/32t. will double from memory form 32gig to 64gig.  and get a nice fast pci-e 4 ssd for boot (2-4 tb).

I'll keep my intel 750 1.2tb pci-e card as a data drive.  will keep my evga xc ultra 2080ti rtx card.. spent way to much on it when they first come out to ditch it.

4 hours ago, VerZalj said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I feel like I’ll just go for a 1660 now, and plan for a 3060 later, as suggested. 

Wait for the 3060 to arrive as the pricing will probably be such that it's really not worth it to get a 1660 at this time.

Also, I'd really suggest going for a CPU/mainboard/memory upgrade first unless funds are an objection there as that will give you a much bigger performance boost.

18 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Wait for the 3060 to arrive as the pricing will probably be such that it's really not worth it to get a 1660 at this time.

Also, I'd really suggest going for a CPU/mainboard/memory upgrade first unless funds are an objection there as that will give you a much bigger performance boost.

Thankfully funds aren’t a major concern right now, but I’m planning on building an additional pc / completely new build maybe early next year. 

So the goal I guess is a I moderate FPS increase with what I have now. 

Thanks a lot for your time and the reply. 

2 hours ago, CaptRiker said:

I'm planning on ditching my 5 yr old 5960x 8 core/X99 mobo for an amd 5950 16 c/32t. will double from memory form 32gig to 64gig.  and get a nice fast pci-e 4 ssd for boot (2-4 tb).

I'll keep my intel 750 1.2tb pci-e card as a data drive.  will keep my evga xc ultra 2080ti rtx card.. spent way to much on it when they first come out to ditch it.

5950 has no benefit for gaming the 5900 can sustain equal or higher clock speeds due to requiring less cooling. 

So I presume you’ll also be using that rig for CAD or statistical modeling duties, 3D animation or something that requires a $800 cpu. 

On 11/10/2020 at 1:43 PM, VerZalj said:

Hey guys,

My PC is a not an antiquity, but it's been a few years. I'm wanting to upgrade my current setup a bit and wanted to see if I could get some advice on what gear is working the best with DU these days

I know we're aren't done optimizing the game yet, but I've looking forward to an increase in FPS for quite some time. 

I'm thinking I should just upgrade my GPU, right now, and start saving for a full PC upgrade to the newest tech in about a year (Christmas 2021). 

I was considering spending about $400 to $500 right now, but I'm not really sure what would be the best bang/buck ratio. 

What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Below is my current configuration, but if I missed a piece of information that might be more helpful, please let me know. 

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • AMD FX-9590 8 CORE 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair liquid cooled cpu heat exchanger with 2 forced draft exhaust fans
  • 500GB samsung ssd, sata 6Gb/s, has OS and DU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 64bit win 10

Anyways, thanks for the consideration!

VerZalj

I cant speak for others but looking at your system i can see your main bottleneck is the FX series CPU. FX series CPUs even the best among them were....and are just bad. So if you have a budget of around $500 id focus on that before anything else. Also as most AM3+ sockets save a few oddball rare ones were ddr3 you will need to upgrade ram in conjuntion with the chip.

As such i would grab an AMD 3k+ series chip or if you can find one cheaper an intel 8k+ series chip, though be aware that even if you get an intel chip for cheap there is NO upgrade path later. Then id grab at least 16 gigs of DDR4 2666 ram as this game is a ram hog.

After a CPU/mobo upgrade i would then get an SSD to run this game as their fairly cheap now and a pretty large boost in performance across the board. Also while the 970 is aged it is still pretty close to entry level modern chips and is workable if you can deal with meh graphics for now. Though you may be able to pick up a used 1070 or RX590 or even a 1660TI for pretty cheap which will be a good deal better.

But yea imo CPU>Ram>SSD>GPU is the upgrade path id recomend to give you the largest gains in performance. If graphics are important just swap the SSD and GPU in that order tree.

Right now this moment Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) CPU and Nvidia 3000 series GPU is the obvious choice. But AMD is just about to release their next generation GPU's so I would put the GPU upgrade on hold until the dust settles (if nothing else there is a chance Nvidia prices will go down, if AMD is able to deliver competitive GPU's).

But Ryzen 5600X and 5xx mobo looks like a safe bet.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:33 AM, GraXXoR said:

I’d go for GTX1660 (which is basically a RTX2060 without ray tracing units and is thus cheaper) or wait for the 3060. 
the 2060 is possibly the worst xx60 card value for money you could go for. 

I don't know much about computers internals, all I know is I got a whole new PC setup for a really good price and the 2060 super is kicking hell out of anything I throw at it. It saved me about 150 over what the 3060 would have been and it saved me waiting a few months for the build to get delivered. I'm happy with it. But again, I am no computer wizard, I'm sure you are right. I came from a gtx 760 2gb loaded rig so....feels good.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:35 AM, VerZalj said:

If I may, what brand did you choose?  It seems like there's a significant variation dependant upon that.  

Also, do you have liquid cooling for your your GPU?

Thanks for the help, 

Nvidia Gforce I guess