Forum Overhaul!

NQ-Naunet

1 hour ago, Anomaly said:

Welcome Naunet

I hope your arrival signals the beginning of better communication between NQ and the players. We need you. 

I wanted to mention one area in particular - the Idea Box.  Rather than phasing out that section of the forum, it needs to be revived. Upvotes are a nice way to gauge player interest but its a poor format for discussion and not all ideas make it to voting. 

You raise a great point in favor of keeping the Idea Box. :) Being able to discuss ideas at length is often critical for their development.

Do you have any thoughts to help revitalize the Idea Box, here? Anything missing that you'd like to see included in a future iteration?

3 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

You raise a great point in favor of keeping the Idea Box. :) Being able to discuss ideas at length is often critical for their development.

Do you have any thoughts to help revitalize the Idea Box, here? Anything missing that you'd like to see included in a future iteration?

As far as forum features go, a standard set of tags or a clickable list of the most common tags would be a handy way to sort ideas and prevent reposts. 

Quick links to dev responses would be great as well - though for that we need the most important bit - Dev responses :) 

I understand its no fun to read ideas that might be different from or even critical of what you have planned but the biggest reason the idea box has fallen silent is that players do not believe their ideas are being seen. 

1 minute ago, Anomaly said:

As far as forum features go, a standard set of tags or a clickable list of the most common tags would be a handy way to sort ideas and prevent reposts. 

Quick links to dev responses would be great as well - though for that we need the most important bit - Dev responses :) 

I understand its no fun to read ideas that might be different from or even critical of what you have planned but the biggest reason the idea box has fallen silent is that players do not believe their ideas are being seen. 

Excellent suggestions - I'll see what I can do re: tags & lists. :) 

While it may not be a warm & fuzzy experience, carefully considering critical feedback is a welcome part of my job. I like knowing exactly where everyone stands!

5 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Excellent suggestions - I'll see what I can do re: tags & lists. :) 

While it may not be a warm & fuzzy experience, carefully considering critical feedback is a welcome part of my job. I like knowing exactly where everyone stands!

Can you maybe pass it on to NQ developers, that in pvp If you kill someone, you crash to desktop every single flipping time. I've not had a fight where me or a gunner haven't crashed.  This isn't an exaggeration.  

Edited by NQ-Naunet
Please don't swear.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Can you maybe pass it on to NQ developers, that in pvp If you kill someone, you crash to desktop every single flipping time. I've not had a fight where me or a gunner haven't crashed.  This isn't an exaggeration.  

I can't fly over a market or even a much changed landscape without crashing.

19 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Oof, that doesn't sound fun at all. I can see why you're frustrated.

Have you submitted a ticket about this? I personally haven't heard any widespread reports about the game crashing when you're killed in PvP, but I'm quite new - it could be a known issue. Best to double check with support!

If/when you find out more, please update me. :) I want to know how you're getting on with it.

(I'll also do some digging internally and report back if I find out anything of note!)

6 minutes ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Oof, that doesn't sound fun at all. I can see why you're frustrated.

Have you submitted a ticket about this? I personally haven't heard any widespread reports about the game crashing when you're killed in PvP, but I'm quite new - it could be a known issue. Best to double check with support!

If/when you find out more, please update me. :) I want to know how you're getting on with it.

(I'll also do some digging internally and report back if I find out anything of note!)

From the other people I talked to it is common, but I haven't done a bug report, and you are scrambling to get back into the action so dont have time to do the report then that pops up when you crash.  And its not when you "die" but when you "kill" someone, someone on your ship crashes.  Its usually a gunner, but sometimes the pilot.  PvP is already in a terrible state, and this makes it damn near unplayable.  I would appreciate if you can find out the development team at least acknowledges it. 

@NQ-Naunet This is off to a good start. You have already communicated more in this thread, then most NQ staff has ever done in the forums in total.. 

Is there a reason why NQ is mostly using discord to post information? In my opinion a forum is a much better medium when it comes to organizing information and staying up to date with the latest news. 

16 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

And its not when you "die" but when you "kill" someone, someone on your ship crashes.  Its usually a gunner, but sometimes the pilot.  PvP is already in a terrible state, and this makes it damn near unplayable.  I would appreciate if you can find out the development team at least acknowledges it. 

Gotcha, now I have a better understanding of what you're experiencing! Thanks for clarifying, there. :) 

PvP is not yet in its final form. As we're in Beta, it's no secret to anybody that certain features will look and feel unpolished for a time. Once we've thoroughly tested  the current Construct vs Construct iteration of PvP,  we'll be able to develop something more robust (AKA exciting) that runs smoothly! ?

5 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

@NQ-Naunet This is off to a good start. You have already communicated more in this thread, then most NQ staff has ever done in the forums in total.. 

Is there a reason why NQ is mostly using discord to post information? In my opinion a forum is a much better medium when it comes to organizing information and staying up to date with the latest news. 

I personally love forums and find them quite useful. They're the perfect spot to house (and organize) information long-term. :) 

Discord is obviously great for quick, real-time communication. When NQ had fewer community team members, it made sense to spend more time in a space where announcements could be pushed and reacted to quickly - especially with the game in Beta now, being able to gather player insights immediately is extremely useful to the devs.

Forum communications take a bit more time to thoughtfully write and need, to some degree, to be planned in advance. Now that there are more community-focused staffers, adequate time can be spent planning out posts, organizing the information and engaging with everyone here properly. ❤️ 

Hopefully that makes sense!

- Edited to say: SpaceMom can't be everywhere at once! (Even if I do regard her as some kind of community super woman!) I'm happy I can now split her duties with her! - ;) 

On 11/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, Anomaly said:

Hi again!

I'd like to put together a list of official tags, and since you're interested in this I would love your input.

Are there any you feel we absolutely need? (A special "NQ Dev" tag to assist you in finding their responses is on the list.) ;) 

1 hour ago, NQ-Naunet said:

Hi again!

I'd like to put together a list of official tags, and since you're interested in this I would love your input.

Are there any you feel we absolutely need? (A special "NQ Dev" tag to assist you in finding their responses is on the list.) ;) 

Good to hear from you again.  Hopefully we will see a number of people contributing to create a robust list. 

I think a list of tags could allow for combinations to further narrow down a search.  For starters:  PVP, Construction, Mining, Industry, Market, Vehicles, Planets, Space, Tools, Weapons.

Combine PVP with planets to look for planetary PVP ,construction with planets for planet side base building or vehicles with construction to talk ship building.  

On 11/9/2020 at 3:55 PM, NQ-Naunet said:

HelloNaunet2.jpg

Greetings Noveans,

This is your newest Community Manager, NQ-Naunet, reporting for duty! ?

It’s no secret to all of you that Dual Universe has undergone some changes in recent months; the launch of Beta, an increase in fan-made content appearing across our social channels (bye, bye NDA), and new NQ staff members popping up all over the community... just to name a few! Exciting things are on the horizon for all of us, and we couldn’t be happier about it.

The first big mission I propose we tackle together, should you choose to accept it, involves this space right here - the forums. In the interest of keeping things tidier, more useful and fun for everyone, we’ve been thinking about giving this place a bit of a makeover.

If that piques your interest, read on to see what we’ve got planned so far. We propose:

• Cleaning up some older, less relevant pinned posts and limiting future pinned posts to ~5 per topic.
  • Archiving older, pre-Beta material.
  • Creating a dedicated Beta category!
  • Adding an “Innovation Station” space for creators to show off what they’ve been building in-game.
  • Changing the look and feel of the forums with a brand new theme.
  • Implementing an “Organization of the Month” series to highlight some of the amazing things all of you are getting up to together.

What we’d like from you is your feedback, as it’s important to us that this place continues to be made for you, by you. Please let us know:

• Which topics/threads you feel should be preserved! (Tutorials, lore, etc.)
  • What sorts of categories you might like to see!
  • Any theme/styling suggestions you may have.
  • Anything else you think we should know about the forums/our proposal.

I’m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and getting to know all of you a little better. Together, I think we can whip this place into the best shape it’s ever been in! ?

~ NQ Naunet, over and out.

Welcome to the forums, brilliant that someone from NQ is here.  Whilst I presume NQ have always been listening (or so I hope), some recognition is great.  So are you going to make this forum a place that makes a difference?  It could....... ;)

way to make an entrance though, impressed Moose.

I noticed, that "Organizations" section was moved much deeper into pits.

This section already experienced almost hopeless depression, with absolute majority of orgs abandoning any pretense to post updates/pr content here, save for some rare and totaly technical bumps. So, question is, do we need to somehow salvage this section by adding incenetives to be more active, or to hell with it, let it be survival of fittest medium of communication? 

57 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

This section already experienced almost hopeless depression, with absolute majority of orgs abandoning any pretense to post updates/pr content here, save for some rare and totaly technical bumps. So, question is, do we need to somehow salvage this section by adding incenetives to be more active, or to hell with it, let it be survival of fittest medium of communication? 

Good shout, totally agree that organisation promotion is a vital part of the fourm, I would like to see categorisation.  This not only makes it easier to find orgs that fit, but also showcases the wide range of roles available to players

Orgs are not only about recruitment, they are also about services, showcase those too!

5 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

You bet your boots I am! ;) 

Any idea why does it seem like the ships are blowing up too easily?`I mean, it happened twice to me now that I just started to hover a few METERS above the ground, was moving at maybe 0,5 m/s - almost not moving at all actually - then I GRAZED a mountain side while simply turning in place and the bloody ship exploded! I was then of course teleported to Allioth, while my ship was in Teoma. THe other time was almost the same thing - was really just hovering, turned a bit, touched the terrain with one of the engines and instead of then that element being damaged a bit the whole ship exploded. 

4 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Actually, I'd love more thoughts on this from all of you.

So - you know how we have an official community page on the DU website? To my understanding, we have plans to better utilize that space. The end goal being that all Organization-related activity will take place there.

For now I'd love to beef up and better showcase orgs here. What can I do to make sure they've got more vis? :) 

20 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Any idea why does it seem like the ships are blowing up too easily?`I mean, it happened twice to me now that I just started to hover a few METERS above the ground, was moving at maybe 0,5 m/s - almost not moving at all actually - then I GRAZED a mountain side while simply turning in place and the bloody ship exploded! I was then of course teleported to Allioth, while my ship was in Teoma. THe other time was almost the same thing - was really just hovering, turned a bit, touched the terrain with one of the engines and instead of then that element being damaged a bit the whole ship exploded. 

Maybe this can be "fixed" a bit so that the actual command seat / piloting chair does not blow up so easily.. Because then we would not get teleported to allioth, but to the Res Node instead which is on the ship.

It is even weird that the command seat gets utterly destroyed when it is inside the ship and protected by at least 50cm of metallic walls (iron / copper) - so if I graze the mountain with my right wing, then the right wing should be destroyed, maybe some other elements, but why on earth would the command seat get destroyed which is in the middle of the ship as mentioned inside and protected by voxels and many other elements?!

Regarding the forum, I think it is a very bad idea to have general discussions so high up.

By having it at the top, even including the "for stuff not covered by other forums", everybody just posts there. If you really want people post in the correct subforum, the rest that isnt covered by other stuff should be at the bottom of the page. 

Will write some more detailed stuff after the weekend, but that one just stands out, a lot.

18 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

For now I'd love to beef up and better showcase orgs here. What can I do to make sure they've got more vis? :) 

Its complicated. I hate to dive to deep in theory, but some context needed.

Because this discrease of activity (and, consequently possibility to restore it) lie far beyond forums -- this is issue with orgs themeselfs.

Over the years of slumber and fight for surivaval, mostly very particular breed of organizations made it -- insular ones, who not much need anyone else and can stay afloat on tightly knit veteran core. All their needs totaly covered by their own discords or community ones (to brag about builds a bit or have minor verbal pvp).

Forum is obviously good platform for more outward looking political and socialy oriented orgs, guys who love to post their programs, manifestos, fancy treaties and other rpg-tier funny stuff. They was most hard-hitted in recent years by complex of reasons and mostly died out.

Since 2016 (when initial hype was around) it was constant downward spiral -- less content was posted by competition, less active was everyone else.

Like recent example: Olmeca_Gold posted his org presentation (with very well prepared website and materials). On more healthy scene it obviously garnered at least some attention, reactions (positive and maybe negative), questions. Yet here I think I was only one who posted something at all in response so far.

So only way I see to revive forum is somehow re-populate area with more "politicly active" organizations, who will produce PR content and go into info field competition once again.