Please help

Burble

Hey guys, please help me understand how to enjoy this game as it is now. I have been watching the project with enthusiasm for a long time. Finally upgraded my PC to be able to handle it and was really excited. Signed up for a 6 month subscription. So far over the course of 3 days I have tried to enjoy myself. I love resource/building games, but I can't seem to get any materials or craft any thing to kick start that part of the game. The nano crafter seems to be bugged all the time even when I have resources. The graphics at ground level are frankly horrible. The blurring effect that I can't seem to turn off is horrible. 

Now, this is not a whine thread. I want to enjoy this game and I will persevere towards enjoying it. Don't care about a refund and am not interested in blaming developers or any typical reactions. I understand what a Beta is. I just need some advice on what to do. I cannot seem to even get started. I know there will be a whole host of tutorial on youtube but that is not really the point I am after. What I want to know from longer term players is...is this really worth it in the current form? Three days in and I am finding it really hard to even bother to log in. I was expecting so much more, even in Beta format, from the promotional media on display.

cheers!

11 minutes ago, Burble said:

I can't seem to get any materials or craft any thing to kick start that part of the game. The nano crafter seems to be bugged all the time even when I have resources.

Would love to help but we really need more info.

1) You mentioned you cannot get any materials. Are you surface mining for ore? Have you used your scanner to find ore under the ground? Are you on Sanctuary or Alioth?

2) Your nano crafter is bugged? How do you now this, is there an error or message that pops up? Do you know you have the ingredients and in your inventory? I'd like to understand what you mean. 

Not knowing your situation yet, I would go to Sanctuary and claim your hex there. Then fly back to Alioth and claim a hex there with a TCU. You can mine on any square that isnt claimed. I would focus on building xs containers or buying those and start building small containers as inventory is your first hurdle. 

If the graphics at ground level are horrible, I suspect you didn't buy enough computer. The graphics certainly aren't Star Citizen quality, but they're within the norm for an MMO.

I don't know what to do about the nanocrafter not working. It very rarely fails for me and then re-log, delete cache, clear the nano-queue and start over generally works.

Normal start up play would be 

1. Claim your territory on the Prison Planet, uh, I mean Sanctuary.
  2. Collect a few hundred liters of each of hematite, bauxite, coal, and quartz (Sell anything else you get for now)
  3. Craft 1 dynamic core S, 2 containers XS, 1 assembly line S and build a base.
  4. Craft 1 assembly line M
  5. Start making everything else you need starting with Containers S.

Alternatively, the starting money plus your daily welfare check is easily enough to jump start this process by buying stuff you need. (I do very little crafting but have millions of q, an airport with a 1000m runway, and a small fleet of ships just a few months into beta.)

7 hours ago, Avonthorn said:

Would love to help but we really need more info.

1) You mentioned you cannot get any materials. Are you surface mining for ore? Have you used your scanner to find ore under the ground? Are you on Sanctuary or Alioth?

2) Your nano crafter is bugged? How do you now this, is there an error or message that pops up? Do you know you have the ingredients and in your inventory? I'd like to understand what you mean. 

Not knowing your situation yet, I would go to Sanctuary and claim your hex there. Then fly back to Alioth and claim a hex there with a TCU. You can mine on any square that isnt claimed. I would focus on building xs containers or buying those and start building small containers as inventory is your first hurdle. 

Hey Avonthorn, thanks for reply. 

1) I meant more in relation to building beautiful structures, making even basic concrete seems like a huge effort right now. I am surface mining for now. Sanctuary on a claimed square. I played through the in game tutorials. 

2)I have plenty of these surface resources yet when trying to make Iron bars it tells me I have insufficient resources even though I have plenty of the named mat in my inventory. 

I appreciate the help offered but I am sure I can work around these things myself with enough effort. The point is not really that, it is that for an expensive monthly fee type game that has had so much funding from the public and even the entry level basics are frustrating me as a new user.

The question is still more one of 'is it worth it?' That is the way I imagine a lot of first hours players are feeling right now and the multitude of abandoned shacks and crashed hovers on Sanctuary are a testament to how many people have stopped bothering on day 1 or 2. You don't see many grand structures, just a whole bunch of tutorial end game huts.

7 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

If the graphics at ground level are horrible, I suspect you didn't buy enough computer. The graphics certainly aren't Star Citizen quality, but they're within the norm for an MMO.

I don't know what to do about the nanocrafter not working. It very rarely fails for me and then re-log, delete cache, clear the nano-queue and start over generally works.

Normal start up play would be 

1. Claim your territory on the Prison Planet, uh, I mean Sanctuary.
  2. Collect a few hundred liters of each of hematite, bauxite, coal, and quartz (Sell anything else you get for now)
  3. Craft 1 dynamic core S, 2 containers XS, 1 assembly line S and build a base.
  4. Craft 1 assembly line M
  5. Start making everything else you need starting with Containers S.

Alternatively, the starting money plus your daily welfare check is easily enough to jump start this process by buying stuff you need. (I do very little crafting but have millions of q, an airport with a 1000m runway, and a small fleet of ships just a few months into beta.)

Prison Planet :DThank you for the advice Daphne, I will struggle towards this. The problem has been that I twice have logged in and the nano crafter has told me I have no resources to make the basics even when I know I have plenty.

The graphics question should not really be my computer:

Ryzen7 3800x
32GB RAM
GTX 2060 super
Win 10 64bit

When moving fast over the ground the 'textures' (are there actually textures in the game at all?)  and rocks, trees all just appear 20ft in front of me. No LOD work, not even a basic fade in, just ugly, immersion killing visuals. Ok, it's beta. But that doesn't mean it does not contribute to an overall bad first experience. I am one of the first people to say gameplay is more important than graphics. So I hope new players can find some gameplay worth getting into because the visuals are not going to keep anyone playing.

And the insanely overpowered AA effects that blur everything and cannot be changed. Really off putting.

>>>>>>>The part about your runway and fleet is exactly what I want to hear! That kind of thing will make it worth it for me, so thank you. I will keep going. I want to support the vision of this game. Maybe I did just want to have a whine thread. Hmm. In any case, my thoughts have been logged for what they are worth. I feel a bit better.

DarkAster - Thank you man, I will try to find you on discord sometime. Very generous offer of your time, I appreciate that a lot.

25 minutes ago, Burble said:

The problem has been that I twice have logged in and the nano crafter has told me I have no resources to make the basics even when I know I have plenty.

Can you post a screenshot of this? Also, as a suggestion maybe click the "only Doable" button in the crafter as that will only show you the recipes you do have the required resources for.

Is there a way to stop things being claimed every time I move them around of harvest them, or a way to quickly unclaim all items in my inventory?

And is there not a way to automatically produce the intermediate components if you have the raw resources? For example to build a container you need a couple of components like hydraulics and frame etc. Do we really have to go in and manually order the production of the intermediate components instead of the nanocrafter automatically queuing everything in between the raw resources - refined metals - components >  the final product? It's just very long winded if not. 

So, after a few days....

I was wrong. This game is amazing. Now that my eyes have got used to the  visual blur thing and assuming that the ground level LOD graphics will one day be improved. There are a lot of moments where the graphics look stunning. The constructs and elements look beautiful. The learning curve, that is so prohibitive in your first few hours actually becomes very rewarding when your production set up starts to yield results. Anyone who can push through the initial frustrations will not regret it.

The voxel tech for ship construction is outstanding and everything I had ever dreamed about in other voxel builders. 

If you are starting the game today my best advice is get the hell off of Sanctuary as soon as you possibly can. That desolate wasteland of crushed and broken dreams is not the way to present this game to a new player in my opinion 

I am always happy to say I was wrong when I am. My initial whine-not-whine thread has now transformed into a glowing positive review of the game so far.

Well done NQ, I am absolutely enjoying myself now. 

2 hours ago, Moosegun said:

Once you start playing properly the game is so different from the start it is untrue, personally i think NQ should cut the whole survival BS and just straight up give new players some decent money, a decent ship, terri node and send them off to Alioth

I couldn't agree more with this statement.