Dual Radar for Pilot (Non-Weapon) Seats

Danaus

Topic pretty much says it all. Currently every seat in the game (at least functional ones) can only have ONE Radar linked to it. While the reasons for that are fairly obvious between atmospheric & space combat uses, it also limits the pilot severely for craft that transition between the two. So I'd suggest that Non-Weapon Chairs (ie. Command Chairs, but not Cockpits or Hoverseats) be allowed to link to both Atmospheric & Space Radar. They cannot use weapons in any size, shape or form, so the Radar would be used for navigation purposes only. As a pilot (and non-gunner), it only makes sense that they would (or SHOULD) be able to detect what is ahead of the ship whether it is in atmosphere or in space. Flying towards a space station? Better adjust course! Flying towards a building or single voxel 'tower' ahead? Ditto!

Right now, command chair pilots are forced to use one or the other radar. Go with space to help spot potential PVP pirates or better align a ship for your gunners? Or use the atmospheric radar so you can see and avoid space stations, buildings, etc, as you fly through an atmosphere and near the ground? Give pilots both! Those chairs are already limited from using any size weapon, so give them SOME advantage for use.

• 2 months later...

Fully agree,  especially nowadays as you really need to have an atmospheric radar for the first leg of the journey out from allioth and then  a space radar with the exit into deep space (as the area between allioth and sanctuary is getting really crowded and given the speeds, visual flying is not an option in space).

I would say that there needs to be 4 main chairs:

• Pilot seat command chair
  • Fighter Pilot Command Chair
  • Scanner/navigator chair
  • gunner seat with turret

You need a fighter pilot to fly and use weapons but also to have someone be able to jump in an omnidirectional turrets or battleship type turrets.

There also needs to be a designation to cores that makes it:

• Attack based core
  • Defense based core
  • Speed based core
  • Freight bsed Core

All of which specialize what can be put on them based on their focused purpose intended for its construction for the parts limitations inherant to each of the cores in order to sacrifice all aspects of parts for what can be put on it. Like how you can only put weapons of the same size or smaller onto a core you could only put wing mounted weapons on an attack core. Armored fortified defense based armorments and weapons on a defense core. Speed items above all others for a travel speed cores, or hauling elements above anything else just so that there is further deliniation between combat and civil / freight roles.

Just as I think static cores need their own designation by the intent of what the core needs to be used for:

• Market
  • Industry
  • Military
  • Defense
  • infrastructure
  • residential
  • commercial
  • government

There should be zoning and specific requirements for each core to what can be put on that makes it so that you have miners supporting factories, the factories mass producing for logistic, transport, infrastructure, government, military, defense,

Basically having set sockets for regions where you need all those things and it is zoned out for specific roles so that the region it has everything it needs going to a central location as its local government but fulfills all necessary functions of  an economy with plenty of overlap for multiple orgs that anyone can settle in the districts within each region to be closer to the local action. I think any central non player market should be local to the players who live there to get better tax rates vs out of district buyer/sellers.

I know you were just talking about the chairs but it all needs to be a cohesive approach to function, purpose, and deined roles and how those break down into larger and larger designations down the line that make players have to make hard choices.

6 hours ago, Nodles said:

Fully agree,  especially nowadays as you really need to have an atmospheric radar for the first leg of the journey out from allioth and then  a space radar with the exit into deep space (as the area between allioth and sanctuary is getting really crowded and given the speeds, visual flying is not an option in space).

You could in theory link 3 of each space and atmo radar at known distances apart from one another on ship (can measure by coords in construct), then have lua quadrangulate the positions of each ping   to get two positions and display the ones in front of you info in a hud overlay which would mark constructs the same way the default hud does both for atmo and space.  

Sort-of how the node-location calculators work but with radar pings as a data source.

Might only work in fixed 3rd-person or first-person, but would be an interesting challenge.

I mean radars use a lot of PvP points, so there isn't really any need to limit cockpits / hover seats considering you need to max out your skills to be able to fit both radars on a single hover seat anyway. Or if not maxed, then balancing it to be that way wouldn't be that tricky. Basically give players the option of what seat they will use for aesthetic purposes and what they wish to attach to it - with the limitations being created by PvP cost rather than arbitrary number of links.

Or/and just make Navigation chairs actually useful and serve a purpose XD

But yeah overall agree - though I suspect they are going to give atmo radars some love when they release ground pvp as the devs didn't consider they would be as necessary as they are currently (hence ground radars aren't affected by radar skills etc. at the moment either - just feels like a placeholder to me)