Question regarding video card and DU

Trakkur

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Dual Universe but a friend recommended it to me - and even game me a Beta key he won recently so I'm eager to try it out.

Unfortunately, my system seems to be unable to handle it. The game loads up just fine, but when I attempt to play everything is incredibly herky-jerky and stupid slow reponse. Unplayable sadly.

Based on how long ago I built this machine (5 years) I'm not surprised, but I simply can't afford to rebuild it completely. So I'm looking to figure out a way to replace certain components that may do the trick.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 on on an ASUS Sabretooth Z87 motherboard with 16gb of ram and an Intel i5-4670K CPU at 3.4ghz.

The CPU *may* be ok for DU, but the Video card is certainly my Achilles heel in this build - NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 with only 2gb of RAM.

Take a look at the attachment of my performance results while I was trying to run DU. Yuck!

Other than scrapping the entire system and rebuilding (which is NOT an option) - what would you think is my best option? Replace the video card for sure, but boost the CPU memory perhaps?

I *think* just upgrading to a better video card would do the trick, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas...and even a suggestion on a video card to get for DU. 

I was considering maybe an RTX 2060 Super (GPU: Turing (TU106) | GPU Cores: 2176 | Boost Clock: 1,650 MHz | Video RAM: 8GB GDDR6 14 Gbp) for around $250, but maybe there is something better and not much more expensive? I'm also aware that there are new video cards on the horizon that may shake this all up completely...but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm not in a rush to play yet and want to make sure I get the best I can afford - and may not have to skimp on features. I imagine ray-tracing is very important for DU.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
-Trakkur

DU_performance_results.JPG

1 hour ago, Trakkur said:

I'm also aware that there are new video cards on the horizon that may shake this all up completely...but I'm open to suggestions.

The horizon is closer than you think. The big shakedown already happened and we are all waiting now for the 3000 series Nividia GPUs to continue to be released. 3080 is out but difficult to find. 3070 and 3060 should be very soon but do some searching online. 

2 hours ago, Avonthorn said:

The horizon is closer than you think. The big shakedown already happened and we are all waiting now for the 3000 series Nividia GPUs to continue to be released. 3080 is out but difficult to find. 3070 and 3060 should be very soon but do some searching online. 

Thanks for the reply - do you have a suggestion on which might be a good choice?

It all depends on budget and what your personal wants are.

Your existing hardware is really outdated by now and adding a new GFX card will only cause it to be throttled by the main board.

While you can choose to go all new and up to date by waiting a bit for new CPUs and GPUs to arrive in the next few months, IMO what works fine and will do so for the foreseeable future (and may be a lot more cost effective at this time)

Ryzen 3700X / 32GB 32GB DDR4 RAM / RTX 2080 / NVMe SSD will run DU just fine in 1440p resolution..

I know because it's what I use ;)

36 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

It all depends on budget and what your personal wants are.

Your existing hardware is really outdated by now and adding a new GFX card will only cause it to be throttled by the main board.

While you can choose to go all new and up to date by waiting a bit for new CPUs and GPUs to arrive in the next few months, IMO what works fine and will do so for the foreseeable future (and may be a lot more cost effective at this time)

Ryzen 3700X / 32GB 32GB DDR4 RAM / RTX 2080 / NVMe SSD will run DU just fine in 1440p resolution..

I know because it's what I use ;)

Thanks - I know it's outdated in a bad way...but upgrading the CPU, memory and mainboard along with GPU just isn't an option for me. I was hoping to get away for just the GPU, but maybe not. 

Meh.

If you are looking to just go for a GPU, don't overspend.. if you can get a 1080 or 1070 for a good price it would certainly be a big improvement but your CPU is really a bottleneck here with "just" 4 cores". Also running off of an SSD is really not  an optional choice so if yo are on HDD, do get yourself an SSD and run the game off of that.

2 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

If you are looking to just go for a GPU, don't overspend.. if you can get a 1080 or 1070 for a good price it would certainly be a big improvement but your CPU is really a bottleneck here with "just" 4 cores". Also running off of an SSD is really not  an optional choice so if yo are on HDD, do get yourself an SSD and run the game off of that.

I'll see if maybe I can swing a CPU upgrade as well. Thanks for the info. I'm on SSD so good there.

Anecdotally, I enjoyed this game with a 4770k and 1080ti graphic card from the bitmining days of yore. 

it was janky at the market places but otherwise fine. 

if you can overclock your cpu a bit then as stated by someone above, a second-hand 1080 would be an excellent value choice to get you playing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Follow-up questions on video cards capable of running DU well.

How important is ray tracing for DU - and which video cards with ray tracing features  (current or coming soon) would you consider for playing DU?

Still struggling to decide on a card, but currently looking at 1070ti and 1660ti. Not sure if those have ray tracing, or if I should even care?