Getting a little frustrated

Underhook

Just finished repairing my ship for the 3rd time (completely totalled every item) .  Each time it has taken me several hours to repair the ship, which is incredibly boring and uses up game time I'd rather spend doing something else.

Anyway, I decide to head off and realise I need a bit of fuel.  So I decided to head to market before heading out.  The landing pad does not spawn in until I'm almost past it.  The suddenly "you are in a no fly zone".  Explosion and my ship is flung to the ground outside the market. Large container and all engines gone.  At least my territory scanner survived this time.  So, now, due to lag, glitch , whatever... I cant do what I logged on to do.  I cant repair my ship and make the 1 hour plus trip.  That's it for my gaming time I had after work.  I really cant be bothered spending the whole night repairing again.  That's what I did last night and the night before that.

2 hours ago, Underhook said:

Just finished repairing my ship for the 3rd time (completely totalled every item) .  Each time it has taken me several hours to repair the ship, which is incredibly boring and uses up game time I'd rather spend doing something else.

Anyway, I decide to head off and realise I need a bit of fuel.  So I decided to head to market before heading out.  The landing pad does not spawn in until I'm almost past it.  The suddenly "you are in a no fly zone".  Explosion and my ship is flung to the ground outside the market. Large container and all engines gone.  At least my territory scanner survived this time.  So, now, due to lag, glitch , whatever... I cant do what I logged on to do.  I cant repair my ship and make the 1 hour plus trip.  That's it for my gaming time I had after work.  I really cant be bothered spending the whole night repairing again.  That's what I did last night and the night before that.

Are you using Tier1 scrap to repair? That takes a loooooong time. Use Tier 3 or 4.

Why don't you have repair talents maxed out? Why aren't you using higher tier scrap? Why are you entering a market through the no-fly zone? If it takes you "several hours" then your ship is at least a fully decked out M core yet you don't know the first thing about the game. Really makes you think.

@Underhook  Tier 1 scrap is basically only good for repairing speeders.  You really need a higher tier scrap to repair anything larger. 

It sounds like NQ should add something to the tutorials that explains this better though.  Is repairing even mentioned in the tutorials, i can't remember?

To avoid crashing in the first place, try adding an absurd amount of atmospheric breaks to your ship.  They can be placed anywhere, facing any direction.  They can't be obstructed by other elements or voxels, so you can stack them anywhere on your ship, even on the inside.

This doesn't exactly make sense in terms of physics but the breaks will also slow your ships descent.  So with enough of them you can come to a stop up in the air, then just slowly float down to the ground. 

I would also recommend parking on the ground a little way from the Market platforms, if you're flying a larger ship.

13 hours ago, dumpeet said:

Why don't you have repair talents maxed out? Why aren't you using higher tier scrap? Why are you entering a market through the no-fly zone? If it takes you "several hours" then your ship is at least a fully decked out M core yet you don't know the first thing about the game. Really makes you think.

1) I don't intend to have every talent maxed out.  I'm sure there are some talents you don't have maxed out yet.  I have been playing for 3 weeks.

2)  I don't have higher tier scrap and cant afford it presently.

3) Its hard to tell where the no fly zone is when half the market has not spawned in yet.  Pretty sure thats why I was destroyed instantly.  The no fly zone spawned with me in it.

4)  Small core.  The ship looks like a fishing trawler with the top of the Territory scanner coming through the deck so it looks like a mast (radar on top)

5) Your presumptions really make me think

13 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

@Underhook  Tier 1 scrap is basically only good for repairing speeders.  You really need a higher tier scrap to repair anything larger. 

It sounds like NQ should add something to the tutorials that explains this better though.  Is repairing even mentioned in the tutorials, i can't remember?

To avoid crashing in the first place, try adding an absurd amount of atmospheric breaks to your ship.  They can be placed anywhere, facing any direction.  They can't be obstructed by other elements or voxels, so you can stack them anywhere on your ship, even on the inside.

This doesn't exactly make sense in terms of physics but the breaks will also slow your ships descent.  So with enough of them you can come to a stop up in the air, then just slowly float down to the ground. 

I would also recommend parking on the ground a little way from the Market platforms, if you're flying a larger ship.

Thanks.  The stopping power is fine when I'm not loaded (which I wasn't this time).  I was basically stationary at the time.  I think the no fly zone spawned (loaded) with me inside it.

The other times I crashed I had up to 600t on board yes it was a problem and I'll look to getting more brakes.  I have also watched a video and realise that my re-entry strategy was incorrect I was trying to come in on an angle (as in real world physics) which basically ends up with me slamming into the ground (game physics)   :)

30 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Thanks.  The stopping power is fine when I'm not loaded (which I wasn't this time).  I was basically stationary at the time.  I think the no fly zone spawned (loaded) with me inside it.

The other times I crashed I had up to 600t on board yes it was a problem and I'll look to getting more brakes.  I have also watched a video and realise that my re-entry strategy was incorrect I was trying to come in on an angle (as in real world physics) which basically ends up with me slamming into the ground (game physics)   :)

I also crashed a lot until I finally found the optimal way of reentry. Here are some of my "epic failures" :) or "How NOT to land a spaceship":

1) I don't intend to have every talent maxed out.  I'm sure there are some talents you don't have maxed out yet.  I have been playing for 3 weeks.

You don't NEED every talent to be maxed out, only the ones you use the most. Clearly if you spend "several hours" repairing your ship then it's something you want. 3 weeks is enough to get them to level 4 several times over and it gives you +40% repair speed as well as +20% repair health.

You can afford a territory scanner but not high tier ore? Sounds legit. Also there's ore growing everywhere so you can always have sustainable income and unless you're in space, you're good to go. And if you are in space, how the hell did you manage to crash your ship?

3) Its hard to tell where the no fly zone is when half the market has not spawned in yet.  Pretty sure thats why I was destroyed instantly.  The no fly zone spawned with me in it.

As a rule of thumb the no-fly zone is where you are not supposed to fly. This includes the Arkship and the terminal part of the markets that stretches out into the institute zone, everything else is fair game to my knowledge. You can tell if you are approaching them by, I dunno, using the map? You can open it by pressing M, it's a real lifesaver.

4)  Small core.  The ship looks like a fishing trawler with the top of the Territory scanner coming through the deck so it looks like a mast (radar on top)

If it's a small core then you aren't using "several hours" to repair it even with tier 1s unless it's entirely made of warp drives and scanners which I highly doubt. You know you can always hold LMB and tab out to have it repair automatically, right? #featurenotanexploit

Well that's good to know, as long as the gears are turning you might be able to figure out the game even if it takes you a month or three.

11 hours ago, Underhook said:

which basically ends up with me slamming into the ground (game physics)   :)

For re-entry having plenty of space breaks makes it a lot easier too.  As long as you have enough space breaks, they will slow your descent, then you can maintain some forward momentum with space engines at the same time.  Without needing to calculate trajectories like a rocket scientist.

Once i get down to about 100,000km altitude i'm usually going about 3000km/h, riding the brakes, with thrust at 25% and my ship angled slightly upward.  Once i get down to about 10,000km i start to increase thrust and tap the brakes on and off to stay around 1000km/h.  As i get down to 5000 altitude i want the trajectory line to be almost parallel to Alioth's surface.  So you enter the atmosphere moving forwards instead of dropping like a stone.

Brakes are another area where talents will help later too.  Early on you really have to pile elements all over your ship, but as you gain talents you can start to remove some of them.  Or pile on more containers ?

15 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

For re-entry having plenty of space breaks makes it a lot easier too.  As long as you have enough space breaks, they will slow your descent, then you can maintain some forward momentum with space engines at the same time.  Without needing to calculate trajectories like a rocket scientist.

Once i get down to about 100,000km altitude i'm usually going about 3000km/h, riding the brakes, with thrust at 25% and my ship angled slightly upward.  Once i get down to about 10,000km i start to increase thrust and tap the brakes on and off to stay around 1000km/h.  As i get down to 5000 altitude i want the trajectory line to be almost parallel to Alioth's surface.  So you enter the atmosphere moving forwards instead of dropping like a stone.

Brakes are another area where talents will help later too.  Early on you really have to pile elements all over your ship, but as you gain talents you can start to remove some of them.  Or pile on more containers ?

Thats pretty much exactly what I tried to do.  Unfortunately keeping my speed low enough to not burn up allowed gravity to pull me into the ground

On 10/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, dumpeet said:

You don't NEED every talent to be maxed out, only the ones you use the most. Clearly if you spend "several hours" repairing your ship then it's something you want. 3 weeks is enough to get them to level 4 several times over and it gives you +40% repair speed as well as +20% repair health.

You can afford a territory scanner but not high tier ore? Sounds legit. Also there's ore growing everywhere so you can always have sustainable income and unless you're in space, you're good to go. And if you are in space, how the hell did you manage to crash your ship?

As a rule of thumb the no-fly zone is where you are not supposed to fly. This includes the Arkship and the terminal part of the markets that stretches out into the institute zone, everything else is fair game to my knowledge. You can tell if you are approaching them by, I dunno, using the map? You can open it by pressing M, it's a real lifesaver.

If it's a small core then you aren't using "several hours" to repair it even with tier 1s unless it's entirely made of warp drives and scanners which I highly doubt. You know you can always hold LMB and tab out to have it repair automatically, right? #featurenotanexploit

Well that's good to know, as long as the gears are turning you might be able to figure out the game even if it takes you a month or three.

Yes, your continued assumptions really make me think your a dick

On 10/27/2020 at 5:48 AM, Underhook said:

2/ Litium scrap is available for 150h per unit at most markets on Ailoth, you are given 100,000h per day, which allows you to buy 666 units of T3 scrap per day, you can afford it
3/ If your machine has trouble loading markets then you should ALWAYS park up just outside and either relog or wait for everything to load.  If you choose to try and land at the market which has not spawned, it is your fault, unless you are completely unaware that markets have issues loading.  You cannot blame the game, if you know in advance the issue exists but you still attempt to land, it then stops becoming the games fault and becomes yours.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:56 AM, Underhook said:

You can come in at an angle, infact that is optimal in a heavy ship, but you need to keep your forward momentum up, if you just use brakes to slow you down and keep you below speed limit, then you completely loose all momentum, so whilst your ship is angled you are actually travelling straight down. I keep momentum up by dropping to around 1000kmh and then going full brakes and sufficient power to hold speed steady (80% in most of my ships), as I come into atmos I let the speed increase up, so I have plenty of forward momentum as soon as i break atmos.  That stops you dropping like a stone, using the third trajectory line is very useful for this method.

13 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

You can come in at an angle, infact that is optimal in a heavy ship, but you need to keep your forward momentum up, if you just use brakes to slow you down and keep you below speed limit, then you completely loose all momentum, so whilst your ship is angled you are actually travelling straight down. I keep momentum up by dropping to around 1000kmh and then going full brakes and sufficient power to hold speed steady (80% in most of my ships), as I come into atmos I let the speed increase up, so I have plenty of forward momentum as soon as i break atmos.  That stops you dropping like a stone, using the third trajectory line is very useful for this method.

Thanks.  I tried to do that but obviously got it wrong.  It felt like the brakes were robbing my forward momentum so I released them.  The result was me dropping like a stone.

21 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

2/ Litium scrap is available for 150h per unit at most markets on Ailoth, you are given 100,000h per day, which allows you to buy 666 units of T3 scrap per day, you can afford it
3/ If your machine has trouble loading markets then you should ALWAYS park up just outside and either relog or wait for everything to load.  If you choose to try and land at the market which has not spawned, it is your fault, unless you are completely unaware that markets have issues loading.  You cannot blame the game, if you know in advance the issue exists but you still attempt to land, it then stops becoming the games fault and becomes yours.

Yeah, I think I miscalculated the price because it took me thousands (I think about 20,000) of units of iron to repair the ship the 1st time.  I didn't account for the fact that far less scrap is needed when its a higher tier.

I didnt try to land at the market that had not spawned in.  I thought I was hovering above the market.  I was waiting for it to spawn in so I could land.  Unfortunately the no fly zone spawned around me and I was smashed instantly.  I could not avoid the no fly zone because it was not there.

8 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Thanks.  I tried to do that but obviously got it wrong.  It felt like the brakes were robbing my forward momentum so I released them.  The result was me dropping like a stone.

This is why the third vector line works well, it shows momentum really well, you will see the line go out infront of you, even though you are braking.

1 minute ago, Underhook said:

Yeah, I think I miscalculated the price because it took me thousands (I think about 20,000) of units of iron to repair the ship the 1st time.  I didn't account for the fact that far less scrap is needed when its a higher tier.

I didnt try to land at the market that had not spawned in.  I thought I was hovering above the market.  I was waiting for it to spawn in so I could land.  Unfortunately the no fly zone spawned around me and I was smashed instantly.  I could not avoid the no fly zone because it was not there.

You sort of could avoid it, it spawns in the same place every time, you were in the wrong place waiting for it.  Dont get me wrong, it is a PITA and it should work but until it does, stay away until you know it is ready.

Just now, Moosegun said:

This is why the third vector line works well, it shows momentum really well, you will see the line go out infront of you, even though you are braking.

Yes, I was using that.  In fact thats why I released the brakes.  with the brakes on and forward thrust at full the line was not advancing.

1 minute ago, Moosegun said:

You sort of could avoid it, it spawns in the same place every time, you were in the wrong place waiting for it.  Dont get me wrong, it is a PITA and it should work but until it does, stay away until you know it is ready.

Yeah , I'll land on the ground from now on

2 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Yes, I was using that.  In fact thats why I released the brakes.  with the brakes on and forward thrust at full the line was not advancing.

That might be down to the level of trust vrs brakes on the ships though, hard to tell.  If i run my ships full thrust, the brakes cant hold them.