NQ please give Clarification of Server wipe after Beta on Full Release

Buffalo_Bill

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Bill said:

To everyone who didn't see Captain Jack's interview with JC today, JC made some clarifications. If NQ does a server wipe they will give everyone  "magic blueprints" of their constructs that will not require materials to place so that people can keep their progress.

TBH that didnt need clarification it has been NQ's position from the start, they have said it several times, the start of beta was the 'launch' of the game world.  Not sure why people are struggling to understand that or making out there has been anything other than clarity.  From the moment beta was announced, that was their position.

8 hours ago, Moosegun said:

Not sure why people are struggling to understand that or making out there has been anything other than clarity.

Because many people claimed that there will never be any wipes again and that we are stupid for thinking otherwise.

To be fair even the magical blueprints are too much, usual blueprints and Lua scripts will already put you a head above the rest and anything more would be a crutch that won't help the truly incompetent.

In the interview with Spreeezy today Entropy certainly left the option of a reset on the table, especially in the talk about  how exploits and early mistakes by NQ may have left the economy "ruined" and gameplay balance unrepairable without a reset/wipe.

That was a game designer talking who seems to understand, and is not afraid to put the notion out there, that there may be a situation where you just can't get around it and I can appreciate that.

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

... especially in the talk about  how exploits and early mistakes by NQ may have left the economy "ruined" and gameplay balance unrepairable without a reset/wipe.

What a great insight, competly timely.

Whole this "old bad thing" left in me some non-curable biterness, to be honest. Lighest reminder  triggering me to no end.

If only NQ listened us, smart muckers, back then...

Leaving magic blueprints intact will make the situation WORSE not better.

Executive summary:

All the big guys do is spend all their "ill-gotten" money and use all their duped/T5 bot sale funded  elements to create a bunch of L core monstrosities with all their assets on them. and boom, just like that, the "reset" has achieved exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to.

OK, let me explain my reasoning.

If they do reset, ostensibly to "fix the economy" then they're going to have to level the playing field again and do it properly by removing all assets from the game. The only things they should leave are Skillpoints (which as far as I know were 100% fairly distributed and unexplainable) and non-magical blueprints and maybe all the 100k bonuses we all received for logging in or even just a flat wedge of cash based on when we joined....

Magic blueprints are just another way that the current leaders will become even more entrenched, since they will bring all their "exploit-based" assets into the final GM release... And will use those assets to rapidly exploit the reset voxel deposits far more rapidly than anyone else could.

TLDR

If they do wipe to "make things fairer", everything that was exposed to exploits (including the broken market bots) has to go or it will achieve the opposite of a fix because big orgs use their MBPs to exploit the reset voxels.

6 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Leaving magic blueprints intact will make the situation WORSE not better.

Yet full wipe of assets not help much too if game systems not changed fundamentaly along with it.

Bacause I can almost guarantee, that if NQ go simple wipe way, keeping everything more or less same, proverbial "big orgs" will bounce off with zero problems  -- you'll see same no life names grabbing market tiles and hystericly cleaning T5s from day one, bragging they not slept for X day, same HQs built in mere weeks. And what is more important, this people again find some breach in another NQ disign muck up (that is too almost guarantee considering records) and whole circle of unfair inrichment will be reproduced again and again, with people joining half year after will be at same severe disadvantage. But such wipe will absolutly brutalize a lot of smaller folk, who never exploited (just honestly grinded in their payed sub time). When robbed of hard earned progress, many of this people (especialy ones more on border if they want to play or not) will lose any incenitve to continue.

Generaly now we have zero good options, only like lesser evil ones.

Damage NQ done by stupidly bad choices mostly unrepairable, now it can be only mitigated (may be even successfuly). I hope we see some bright ideas for change about this mitigation, they kinda expected soon by logic of things.

3 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Yet full wipe of assets not help much too if game systems not changed fundamentaly along with it.

Under any normal game development situation, while game balance and refinement is ongoing which impacts the game, once the game is sufficiently balanced and known exploits and loopholes closed a developer will do a full wipe and truly "start the game". In the pursuit for revenue, NQ seems to want to bypass this step entirely and I believe they will not be able to keep that position as I expect they will not be bale to repair the damage to the game without it.

The recent changes on scrapping the planet tech update and how NQ will handle safezones wil have meant that for a good number of players who were playing under the assumption that a wipe would occur AND would have started to build out on the original game concept that there would not be any safezones but Sanctuary  and (part of) Alioth combined with te damage done by the duplication bug(s) and the early start mistakes and abuse of game mechanics which have both given some players an immense leg up and removed massive amount sof high tier ore from the game entirely, a wipe in my opinion is unavoidable and I'd expect one to happen before territory warfare comes in.

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

... a wipe in my opinion is unavoidable and I'd expect one to happen before territory warfare comes in.

But can they afford it? To be honest, I think contrary. 

Wipe (with some smart balancing action) was reasonable option after 1 week and, probably "bullet-bity" okaish up to 1 m into game. But now? 

And to add insult to injury, NQ generaly done everything with balance and dynamics right now, to game be "asset hoarding simulator" (for majority of players, voxelmancy fanatics aside). And when wiping all this assets? Ouch. Every wasted day against them too -- more of potential damage done and, considering they barely come up with something defined up to begining of next year, it will be even more late. Clock ticking.

> if NQ annonuce wipe early, many people do shitstorm and just quit until (until -- in best case!) moment X, obviously not prolonging so needed subs in between.

> if NQ drop it like suprise, 1-2 week before moment X it will be... even worse shitstorm.

So, this time I personaly prefer to NQ go somewhat "conservative" with wiping and try to heal affairs by adding of new stuff/tweaking older. Sure it will be not perfect (quite possibly -- traditionaly cringly half-assed).

Yet I think they already missed opportunity, when it was survivable for them to actualy do wipe.

I don7t think they have the balls to wipe the game again without MBPs... And nor should they unless massive swathes of the game are changed in major ways to prevent what would just end up a repeat.

The only way they can level the playing field is to make resources effectively infinite. If they don&t do this, those with the headstarts who as was said above ground sleeplessly for days to horde and sell T5s to the early bots and make shedloads of quanta or fill 200 L containers with resources will have an unassailable advantage.

if, however, there were some sorts of mechanics that would make resources effectively endless... such as resource extraction sites that require machines to extract constant, small amounts then it would allow future new players and the less hardcore players eek out an existance without overtly punishing those who used the manual mining method.

this would also make land actually valuable. 

i want clarification too. its called beta (lol) so i expect a wipe and because of that i will not build anything big. i dont pay money to get my progress removed after a few months. MMO means for me NO WIPE like any other mmo i played. to be clear i am ok with 1 wipe if we can keep our skills but afther that not a single wipe again, forever.

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2020 at 8:30 AM, blazemonger said:

In the interview with Spreeezy today Entropy certainly left the option of a reset on the table, especially in the talk about  how exploits and early mistakes by NQ may have left the economy "ruined" and gameplay balance unrepairable without a reset/wipe.

That was a game designer talking who seems to understand, and is not afraid to put the notion out there, that there may be a situation where you just can't get around it and I can appreciate that.

you have a link to that interview?

Please stop necro-ing posts from a year or more...

There's plenty of more recent posts endlessly discussing "wipe theory" (which sounds...not great).

Who even cares what JC said...? He said a lot of things that didn't make sense and he isn't in charge anymore. He's not "the man" anymore. 

Hi everyone,

Please don't necropost a (very) old forum thread for a specific topic, especially when there are recent ones already existing. For this reason, this topic will be locked.

You have already a reply about the wipe topic here and we ask you to continue the discussion on this topic in this recent forum thread, with already more replies in it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.