Clarification about the thicc CoC by the staff

carijay766

Since all of this capriciousness and the bending of vague formulations I would like some clarification by Novaquark (not asking about players opinion on this) about the current CoC.

Publishing, sending or communicating any content or taking any action in connection with the Game that is inappropriate, [...] harmful, threatening [...] on the basis of race, gender, ethics, politics, etc.;

Is all of this connected with the condition "on the basis of race, gender, ethics, politics, etc.;"

If yes: what exactly is etc.

If no:

1.1 What exactly is inappropriate? This could literally be anything. Is this some kind of psycho terror to achieve a constant fear in players, knowing they could be punished by anything thats deemed inappropiate in hindsight?

1.2 What exactly is meant by harmful? Does it include hurt feelings?

1.3 Does threatening include threatening to hunt someone down or destroy an org?

Harassing or threatening other users and interfering in any way with their use and full enjoyment of the Game;

I would like a clarification about that aswell. This would per se not allow PvP if someone would not enjoy it.

Participating in any fraudulent action against any other User of the Game, including by means of scamming or social engineering;

So stealing from orgs, spying, not fulfilling trade orders and anything else that you would expect should be possible in terms of scamming and social engineering in a CIVILIZATION SANDBOX game is not allowed?

I am taken to understand that the first statement in question refers to overt attempts to insult or threaten another player through the use of hateful language pertaining to the mentioned categories. I agree that things should be as specific as possible, but this reads like most statements made in codes of conduct that are designed to remind players that they should not use bigoted language or make actual threats against the players themselves. I do not think it refers to threatening to destroying someone's ship, org, etc. if they, for example, don't pay you a ransom. I fully expect at some point for certain organizations to, say, threaten smaller organizations or individual players with destruction if they have the strength to do so. All part of the sandbox experience.

The same goes for the other rules. I think they refer to the real-world players themselves, not their avatars in the game. So, don't try to steal someone's password by imitating an NQ employee, for example.

1 hour ago, Zamiel7 said:

I am taken to understand that the first statement in question refers to overt attempts to insult or threaten another player through the use of hateful language pertaining to the mentioned categories. I agree that things should be as specific as possible, but this reads like most statements made in codes of conduct that are designed to remind players that they should not use bigoted language or make actual threats against the players themselves. I do not think it refers to threatening to destroying someone's ship, org, etc. if they, for example, don't pay you a ransom. I fully expect at some point for certain organizations to, say, threaten smaller organizations or individual players with destruction if they have the strength to do so. All part of the sandbox experience.

The same goes for the other rules. I think they refer to the real-world players themselves, not their avatars in the game. So, don't try to steal someone's password by imitating an NQ employee, for example.

Again: A lot of people think this and that. I want it clarified by NQ as I stated im my prior post. Also what youre refering too is clarified in another bullet point, so youre mixing up things here.

Yeah, you aren't going to get it clarified by NQ. 

If you don't want player perspectives, this isn't the place to post...NQ isn't going to look at most of these posts, never mind reply. 

Terms like these are designed to be vague.

Yes, "inappropriate" can be literally anything. There's no way they will lay this out explicitly, ever. This is industry standard and normal. It is meant to be subjective because the line for inappropriate is often vague, even in real life courts. 

This is how most MMO terms are worded...whatever devious stuff you have in mind, you're probably fine...

3 hours ago, carijay766 said:

Again: A lot of people think this and that. I want it clarified by NQ as I stated im my prior post. Also what youre refering too is clarified in another bullet point, so youre mixing up things here.

If you want NQ reaction, open a ticket.. post it on a public discussion forum and expect others to chime in

"A user of the game" is not the same as "an in game character". You can scam and steal from a character as much as you want. you can't use social engineering in game or on any of the  NQ platforms (or in fact according to the text anywhere when your interaction is relating to DU or NQ)  to impact/affect the person behind the character (aka the player).

You can steal someone's shit  and hold it for ransom in game but you can't then go "pay me 0.005 bitcoin to this wallet to get your stuff back"

15 hours ago, dumpeet said:

A lot of this could be cleared up just by separating the user from the player. But then again, vague is what they want it to be.

This would for example would be absolute common sense and a first step. Everything this company does feels really half assed to me and then they abuse their half assed attempts to turn them against the players. I've seen hobby modding teams who did a more professional job. It's so annoying when you're trying to play a game and the company behind it is so unprofessional that on the one side they spread terror by misinformation/no information/contradiction and on the other side don't provide your money's worth or keep up with their own standards.