“Marketplace Heist” Response

NQ-Naerais

Dude again youre missing essential parts of basic concepts here.... An integral and essential part of an exploit is that it gives an unique advantage (thru ways that are not generally avaible). There was no unique advantage the market was open to EVERYONE.

"NQ specifically put wording in the TOS, so when they screw up like this, players don't go post about it on Reddit."

Which shows how little they want to take responsibility for their mistakes. Also im pretty sure that is against EU law.

"That doesn't change the fact that intentionally violating the TOS gets you banned."

If anything is was an absolute gray zone, what made NQ freak out was their second, much bigger fuck up within the initial fuck up. Storing data as an ingame item, which is insanely amateurish. They could been a positive constructive example, this was the first case of players and NQ ingame interaction on that level, so there was no guideline to go by. Now people might twist and turn things in hindsight to make it look that this was obviously completely against the ToS,EULA,Banana because NQ has reacted randomly, but objectively there is no example of this happening prior to this. If it wouldve been so obvious that this wouldve only been met with this kind of overreaction and overly harsh punishment, do you really think anyone wouldve actually and intentionally done something? Clearly this was an unclear situation and interesting for actual sandboxers, honestly I laughed about it at first thinking NQ would fix the situation and promise to be less negligent in the future and maybe made a kind of ingame event out of it. But they completely put it on the players. Sure you cannot think of everything, but especially if youre 99% of the issue and reason why the stuff went down you should be able to man up and not lash out onto players.

Just now, Atmosph3rik said:

You can't honestly believe that?   A player having access to something that they absolutely were never intended to have access to, by the developers of the game.

If a dev left RDMS open than that is not an exploit nor a bug. That a dev needed to change RDMS settings to move a market in itself is a massive red flag IMO

If you said that the players involved should have known better and not push this then sure, you have a point. But that does not make this an exploit in a game dev sense even when yes, you could say they exploited the situation by going in against better judgement. Those two uses of "exploit" are the same word yes, but the intent and meaning is very different and i think you know that.

Again, I am not saying what happend is not an issue or that it's fine what these guys did. I am saying that I can see the adrenaline rushing and stupid choices were made and yes, NQ needs to address that absolutely. As a business responsible for keeping the lights on and feeding 100+ staff at a time they really can't afford any missteps, NQ must also see the bigger picture and their own position. Instead they pretty much went out of their way to make this presentable in a way that the could enforce a ban due to actions by a player (group) with malicious intent to sabotage and damage NQ using an exploit which is not what happend here. And the text they used is quite easily debunked to the point it becomes what it is, dumb players doing dumb things following a dev making a dumb mistake.

NQ should have been firm and hand out punitive sanctions but also maintain the higher ground and think of their own and the game's interest which they did not and that will be seeing a fallout causing more harm than the heist did for them over the next days and/or weeks. And that is entirely on them.

6 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

It's not that the player USED an exploit to access the market.  It's the fact that they were able to, that IS an exploit, to anyone who knows about it.

So if someone is brand new to the game and they walk up to the market and go through wholly reasonable actions that are gameplay in every other sense and situation - that's an exploit and they should be permabanned.

You're not doing your argument or the devs any favours whatsoever. 

5 hours ago, Eruend the SkyReaper said:

I think Jim Sterling would have a field day with this too.

More than likely he would. 

It's already up on the SidAlpha discord too, sid is a little less well known than Jim Sterling, but the devs really put their foot in it this time. 

Also the EULA states:

"We can not get involved with permission based theft, whether as an individual or an organization"

This kind of renders their "You broke the EULA" claim moot. 

I assume what they mean when they cite the EULA is the whole "we can terminate anyone's account if we want to" part which is in pretty much every EULA and is never used unless someone did seething really bad that the rules or EULA never covered, or you want to get your game a whole heap and a half of negative publicity. 

This could have been a quirky beta event, the developers could have taken everything back and said it was unintended for developer constructs to be 'stolen' from and given everyone took something/interfaced with the construct while it was public a little "I was at Market 15" commerative plaque that would always be set to private permissions for said user to place in/on whatever they build. 

Edit:

I mean I could even understand banning the 4 involved for as long as it took the developers to make an investigation (or that being the excuse for "Sacre bleu, le Marché! Bannissez-les!" in a fit of wine and cheese fuelled rage) as to whether or not it was a mistake on their end, or a the 4 players found a way to change permissions of constructs and items. I couldn't see this taking longer than 24 hours and after the investigation an apology and a free week of game time could be handed out. 

However since they made this thread that would be totally impossible. The only thing the devs could do now to salvage things, slightly would be to unban said players and give them the minimum buy (3 months) of game time each for free, write an apology to each person banned (without it being a Ctrl C ctrl V job) as well as an open letter to the community then discipline whatever utter moron under their employ thought that banning them, then making a thread whining about them was a wise idea in the first place. 

At this point NovaQuirk need to hire a PR agent. It's clear that nobody working for them understands the monumental fuck up they've just made. 

so has anyone been able to PROVE that the guy that got ban hammered didnt just exploit the RDMS then play dumb afterwards "well durr i r hit B and thought it ok to steal market" or are we just taking his word for it because "individual player good, corperation baaaad"? Also has anyone checked to see if the so called report was actully sent or is a photoshop? For the ones claiming they could access it as well, was it before this dude killed the market? Namely, did the access pop up at the same time as he started messing with it i.e he exploited and set it public and others could access it? Or was it buildable for a while before that point?

Not accusing anyone, i just want to know if its been fact checked or not? If it has then can someone post the link? if not then why has it not been fact checked and why does everyone just assume its correct?

1 hour ago, Zharnaak said:

So if someone is brand new to the game and they walk up to the market and go through wholly reasonable actions that are gameplay in every other sense and situation - that's an exploit and they should be permabanned.

You're not doing your argument or the devs any favours whatsoever. 

You consider utterly destroying a market building and putting up a childish "pls no ban" letters as a "wholly reasonable action" to being able to Build Mode on a market - a construct that clearly no one should be able to build on? 

The wholly reasonable action would have been to submit a bug report via the ticket system and walk away without mentioning it to anyone.

37 minutes ago, Arctic_fox said:

so has anyone been able to PROVE that the guy that got ban hammered didnt just exploit the RDMS then play dumb afterwards "well durr i r hit B and thought it ok to steal market" or are we just taking his word for it because "individual player good, corperation baaaad"? Also has anyone checked to see if the so called report was actully sent or is a photoshop? For the ones claiming they could access it as well, was it before this dude killed the market? Namely, did the access pop up at the same time as he started messing with it i.e he exploited and set it public and others could access it? Or was it buildable for a while before that point?

Not accusing anyone, i just want to know if its been fact checked or not? If it has then can someone post the link? if not then why has it not been fact checked and why does everyone just assume its correct?

Hi, I am that guy. I put money into this game 2 years ago, paid for a $120 package because it is the kind of game I love to play as I am a fan of Sci-fi, tech, games like Space Engineers etc and coding part was also appealing as I am a dev myself.

But I got into the game just now and literally had LESS than a week of playtime. So no, I had no idea that anything was tied to an object, which is a ridiculous design, neither did my friend knew about it who have been here less than a month. NovaQuark staff didn't care to check or even talk to us and just jumped to their conclusions based on assumptions, even banning people who have taken nothing else but some random lamp or leftovers of the construction for their own base.

In fact, me and Scoopy didn't even take all the terminals and MARKET WAS FUNCTIONING when we left it, it only didn't have walls and floors and couple of items missing, like glass and triangular glass.

Whoever was in charge of this is utterly incompetent and seeing CEO tweets doesn't make me think that this game has any future since it is his PERSONAL stance that we were rightfully banned permanently. Whoever is in charge of communication about us doing something unintentionally based on a human error from the company we paid money for to Beta Test and took it personally, instead of being professional about it. Banning paid beta testers in BETA test phase of the game is unprecedented, doesn't matter if devs had to spend more of their time to fix the issues or not -- every development studio has to face the bugs and their mistakes and own them, not blame their users/players/customers as it is just childish and irresponsible.

In every single game out there if something works mechanically, without breaking the game, it is not a bannable offense. But here are no mechanics and instead some paper statements that developers expect their new players to read.

IF SOMETHING SHOULDN'T BE DONE, IT SHOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE TO DO IT IN GAME <- good game design, NovaQuark approach is to make everything on paper it seem, not in game.
If players shouldn't destroy dev buildings, then it make it not possible as in every decent game out there. The reaction from all of your dev team is just lame and nothing more and you deserve to have a bad rep for this and held accountable, instead of putting all the blame on your community members and paying customers.

9 minutes ago, nottheuberjuice said:

-snip-

Not trying to attack you mate, hopefully you dont take it that way. But this IS the internet, better to trust but verify then to jump on a band wagon. Besides having a nutural 3rd party check stuff is always a smart idea. That being said this is the first i have heard of anyone being banned for say taking lamps and such. Was there a post about it i missed? (This is very likely as i work over 70 hours a week and tend to miss a lot...)

Id just like someone else better at looking into these things to cross refrence times/dates and check if the SS posted was edited. If it checks out it helps your position. If not /shrug

5 minutes ago, Arctic_fox said:

Not trying to attack you mate, hopefully you dont take it that way. But this IS the internet, better to trust but verify then to jump on a band wagon. Besides having a nutural 3rd party check stuff is always a smart idea. That being said this is the first i have heard of anyone being banned for say taking lamps and such. Was there a post about it i missed? (This is very likely as i work over 70 hours a week and tend to miss a lot...)

Id just like someone else better at looking into these things to cross refrence times/dates and check if the SS posted was edited. If it checks out it helps your position. If not /shrug

There were people in discord who complained about being banned in the game and wondering what was going on. After short chat we confirmed that at least 2 players (one solo player) got banned for taking blocks for their solo base and another for taking furniture many hours since we left.

Edit: we posted this to a support ticket to unban these players, but reading on how slow this ticket system is, I don't expect them to be unbanned before their sub runs out.
Again, devs were just irresponsible and didn't check anything. Them telling that we knew HOW THE GAME FUNDAMENTALLY WORKS is a complete lie and I can't believe so many people believe it. It is quite disgusting if you ask me. Not only caring about their asses more than about their paying customers, but also putting a blame on them covered in a lie.

13 minutes ago, nottheuberjuice said:

Hi, I am that guy. I put money into this game 2 years ago, paid for a $120 package because it is the kind of game I love to play as I am a fan of Sci-fi, tech, games like Space Engineers etc and coding part was also appealing as I am a dev myself.

But I got into the game just now and literally had LESS than a week of playtime. So no, I had no idea that anything was tied to an object, which is a ridiculous design, neither did my friend knew about it who have been here less than a month. NovaQuark staff didn't care to check or even talk to us and just jumped to their conclusions based on assumptions, even banning people who have taken nothing else but some random lamp or leftovers of the construction for their own base.

In fact, me and Scoopy didn't even take all the terminals and MARKET WAS FUNCTIONING when we left it, it only didn't have walls and floors and couple of items missing, like glass and triangular glass.

Whoever was in charge of this is utterly incompetent and seeing CEO tweets doesn't make me think that this game has any future since it is his PERSONAL stance that we were rightfully banned permanently. Whoever is in charge of communication about us doing something unintentionally based on a human error from the company we paid money for to Beta Test and took it personally, instead of being professional about it. Banning paid beta testers in BETA test phase of the game is unprecedented, doesn't matter if devs had to spend more of their time to fix the issues or not -- every development studio has to face the bug and their mistakes and own them, not blame their users/players/customers as it is just childish and unresponsible.

In every single game out there if something works mechanically, without breaking the game, it is not a bannable offense if something states in some obscure rules (who the fuck reads rules instead of playing the game, you kidding me?).

IF SOMETHING SHOULDN'T BE DONE, IT SHOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE TO DO IT IN GAME <- good game design, NovaQuark approach is to make everything on paper it seem, not in game.
If players shouldn't destroy dev buildings, then it make it not possible as in every decent game out there. The reaction from all of your dev team is just lame and nothing more and you deserve to have a bad rep for this and held accountable, instead of putting all the blame on your community members and paying customers.

What made you think it was okay to go testing developer owned constructs with the Build mode in the first place? This is like going door to door in a neighborhood looking to see who left their door unlocked so you can rob them. Incompetence of "leaving the door unlocked and open" (no RDMS restrictions) aside, this does not give you a free pass to take advantage of the situation. Similarly, just because a neighbor was dumb enough to leave their door unlocked, it is not an invitation for you to come in. Absolutely nowhere does, "if I shouldn't be allowed to do it why is it physically possible for me to do it still" fly as an excuse or argument. 

Banning paid beta testers in early access games is not unprecedented. It has happened in Ark and other early access titles that you have to pay to test. Firstly, in every single game out there, if it works mechanically but was not intended to work that way, it is an exploit. Secondly, regardless if anyone knew it would ruin the market data or not, the messing with the market caused a "gamebreaking" issue that affected others. You are being absolutist. It was a mistake on the dev's part to leave the RDMS open, accidents happen. It was *also* a mistake on the players part who took advantage of this to edit the market. One is an accident, the other is willful intent to do something that really you should have known not to do. The blame is shared, but the lion's share goes to you and Scoopy. If you are really a dev yourself, you can't seriously say that if a player in one of the games you were making decided to take advantage of a mistake on your part to ruin something that wasn't supposed to be touched by players, you wouldn't punish them and anyone else who decided to do the same, regardless how much they did. Stealing voxels and a lamp is still stealing. We can sit here and debate on the forums or discord if the punishment was too severe or not, but there is no argument that punishment wasn't necessary for the morally and lawfully (rulefully?) bad actions committed.

While I do not know about any claims that anyone knew how the game fundamentally works, I do know you have to know a bit more than a fresh noob about the build mode and RDMS in order to even think, "oh hey lets see if build mode works on these dev owned constructs" and then do it, and then act like dismantling or taking anything there was completely acceptable to do. Most arguments defending these actions are, "but the devs said RDMS theft is ok". Well it seems really fishy to me that a fresh, less than a week playtime player knew that every construct has an owner, and B enters the build/edit mode on that construct, that markets are normally not accessible, and that the devs had allowed RDMS theft in one of their posts. You guys either had to be randomly pressing B while jumping around after spawning (which is unlikely as someone THAT new wouldn't then instantly figure out how to properly remove elements or voxels as 99% of new players constantly ask ingame and on discord HOW to pick up voxels or elements) or you decided to purposefully check if build mode was accessible on every construct you went by. OR you purposefully decided to specifically check if markets were available. Either way, it isn't a good look and it is clear you guys aren't being completely honest.

So didn't know the rules of the game and then did something against Common Sense, aka let's just take apart critical infrastructure pieces of the game? Sorry, but I find your I'm the victim story hard to swallow. 

On the other hand and in your defense (assuming you are who you say you are and did said 'crime',  it very much looks like NQ did a do as we say and not as we do thing here. I agree with a number of posts here that articulate that things could have been handled in a better manner but in the end it is their game and their rules. Those that disagree can vote with their wallets as they say. Bickering about it doesn't do anything for anyone except make funny memes on the internet later.

Not sure where the percentages of who is at fault for what here is and not like it matters, but I'd like to see NQ make this right and be the bigger man and accept that the 'might' have screwed up. I'd also like to see those who did it make a public apology to those they may have screwed over or inconvenienced by their little prank or whatever it goes down as in the history of internet gaming or whatnot. 

Otherwise, can we all just move on and laugh about it and not completely screw up another game with potential please? Finding a decent game these days is no easy task...

*sorry Ram, pretty much posted what you did I think*

1 hour ago, nottheuberjuice said:

Whoever was in charge of this is utterly incompetent and seeing CEO tweets doesn't make me think that this game has any future since it is his PERSONAL stance that we were rightfully banned permanently. Whoever is in charge of communication about us doing something unintentionally based on a human error from the company we paid money for to Beta Test and took it personally, instead of being professional about it. Banning paid beta testers in BETA test phase of the game is unprecedented, doesn't matter if devs had to spend more of their time to fix the issues or not -- every development studio has to face the bugs and their mistakes and own them, not blame their users/players/customers as it is just childish and irresponsible.

In every single game out there if something works mechanically, without breaking the game, it is not a bannable offense. But here are no mechanics and instead some paper statements that developers expect their new players to read.

Seriously? So if bathroom sinks are vandalized it’s the cities fault that they didn’t make it indestructible........ do you really think people should not have self control?  Anarchy online.....

10 minutes ago, Ram said:

This is like going door to door in a neighborhood looking to see who left their door unlocked so you can rob them. Incompetence of "leaving the door unlocked and open"

Wrong. Leaving rights to do something is what it says. Its not opening the door, its opening the door and giving rights for someone to do what they want within those rights. That open door example is a flawed analogy despite being and easy one to understand.

And you are talking "rules" side of things, me speaking that it shouldn't be possible to be done in game if its not intended on a mechanical level. Players will always bypass rules and look for advantages in games if they are creative and curious, which devs don't seem to appreciate. Banning people for their curiosity to explore your game is barbaric.

Regarding happening in other games: Ark is a pretty terrible example from equally immature developers, if that indeed happened. If it happened in a poorly thrown together game it doesn't mean it is fine to do it if you want, as a developer, to have any kind of good reputation.

Novaquark fucked up for not having good rule book and acted out of emotion, not following any of their own rules that are vague as hell anyway.
If you want to see good example of set rules: look at games like EVE, WoW, Starbase, Star Citizen, etc where they have explicit and very clear sets of rules instead of blanket statements that have been thrown together out of necessity to protect yourself.

"... know a bit more than a fresh noob about the build mode and RDMS in order to even think, "oh hey lets see if build mode works on these dev owned constructs" and then do it"

This is not what happened. Not sure where you took it from. I was at station when me and Scoopy were about to log off for the night. I wanted to modify my ship that was parked at marketplace and accidentally clicked on the floor, which allowed me to enter build mod. 
If you want facts -- ask devs to provide logs that say when was my first login in the game and how long have I played, which they will likely not, at least I wouldn't expect that from lying cowards like NQ.

10 minutes ago, toziop said:

Seriously? So if bathroom sinks are vandalized it’s the cities fault that they didn’t make it indestructible........ do you really think people should not have self control?  Anarchy online.....

Bringing real life analogies is ridiculous.  It is equally laughable as some other examples I've seen around, except you compare me to a real world vandal, whether AstronautPug was comparing me to someone committing war crimes. While I do not know you in real life, your comments makes me question your intelligence if that is your own thought and not just repetition of what some other people said.

unknown.png

13 minutes ago, Dadekster said:

So didn't know the rules of the game and then did something against Common Sense, aka let's just take apart critical infrastructure pieces of the game? Sorry, but I find your I'm the victim story hard to swallow. 

On the other hand and in your defense (assuming you are who you say you are and did said 'crime',  it very much looks like NQ did a do as we say and not as we do thing here. I agree with a number of posts here that articulate that things could have been handled in a better manner but in the end it is their game and their rules. Those that disagree can vote with their wallets as they say. Bickering about it doesn't do anything for anyone except make funny memes on the internet later.

Not sure where the percentages of who is at fault for what here is and not like it matters, but I'd like to see NQ make this right and be the bigger man and accept that the 'might' have screwed up. I'd also like to see those who did it make a public apology to those they may have screwed over or inconvenienced by their little prank or whatever it goes down as in the history of internet gaming or whatnot. 

Otherwise, can we all just move on and laugh about it and not completely screw up another game with potential please? Finding a decent game these days is no easy task...

*sorry Ram, pretty much posted what you did I think*

How do a new player know it was a criitcal structure to the game? Please point me out where the game tells you that. Thanks.

Regarding NQ making it right, I would like to hear a mature response in the first place, but their CEO is pretty much as immature as a kid who know his way around code judging by his response on twitter. Sorry for repeating myself in advance.

1 hour ago, nottheuberjuice said:

Im glad you got banned.  Later. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Im glad you got banned.  Later. 

Will see you around when you get banned for something you might break by mistake, unknowingly, I guess.
Just because you are cheering for irresponsible game developers now and has been testing for them for years, doesn't mean they will care about you if you break something they worked for, since they pretty much don't care about any time losses any of the players have experienced and they are very clear about their position on that.

Facts is not something NQ values judging by their "professional" handle of the situation and they wouldn't care to throw you under a bus so it surprises me you would root for someone you give a lot of your time and money to when they have to be accountable to you and not you accountable to them.

Just now, nottheuberjuice said:

Will see you around when you get banned for something you might break by mistake, unknowingly, I guess.
Just because you are cheering for irresponsible game developers now and has been testing for them for years, doesn't mean they will care about you if you break something they worked for, since they pretty much don't care about any time losses any of the players have experienced and they are very clear about their position on that.

Losses by players to players is intended gameplay.  And it doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to figure out if something might be an abuse or not.   I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to figure things out. 

2 minutes ago, nottheuberjuice said:

How do a new player know it was a criitcal structure to the game? Please point me out where the game tells you that. Thanks.

Regarding NQ making it right, I would like to hear a mature response in the first place, but their CEO is pretty much as immature as a kid who know his way around code judging by his response on twitter. Sorry for repeating myself in advance.

Well assumption are dangerous things, but I assumed anything not built by players in the game was off-limits as far as attempting ass-hatery with said objects. Like I said, Common Sense. Not a dig at you, just relating my personal experience in online gaming. I file it under the don't kill NPCs that you need for game plots later etc. 

No comment on your personal opinions about others but good luck with maybe working something out. Insulting the other side generally never works out well though.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Losses by players to players is intended gameplay.  And it doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to figure out if something might be an abuse or not.   I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to figure things out. 

Sure. Because this is the sort of things I expect from NQ defenders. Ad hominem mixed with hateful nonsense. 
Will not go down to your level, good luck

Just now, nottheuberjuice said:

Sure. Because this is the sort of things I expect from NQ defenders. Ad hominem mixed with hateful nonsense. 
Will not go down to your level, good luck

Why are you still here? Leave the community doesn't want people around who exploit bugs for personal gain.  

3 minutes ago, Dadekster said:

Well assumption are dangerous things, but I assumed anything not built by players in the game was off-limits as far as attempting ass-hatery with said objects. Like I said, Common Sense. Not a dig at you, just relating my personal experience in online gaming. I file it under the don't kill NPCs that you need for game plots later etc. 

No comment on your personal opinions about others but good luck with maybe working something out. Insulting the other side generally never works out well though.

When anyone has ever received a ban for killing NPCs? Sure you might ruin your quest (game mechanics) or nothing would happen if they are not supposed to die.
There is some common sense, but NQ acts like mods of a minecraft servers (aka man children) that ban anyone who touch their precious castles and I am not being sarcastic.