“Marketplace Heist” Response

NQ-Naerais

Hello Noveans, 

By now, some of you may be aware that unlucky number Market 15 has been stripped bare and left to create ugly memes for generations to come. We’re trying to look at this in good humour as, from the front, it appears to be an issue that was created when we moved the markets, making it editable by players. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist (though we know there are a few of you out there) to understand that the markets are not a community construction, and as such not intended to be handled by players on this level. The destruction of the build isn’t a quick fix, and was clearly done knowing it shouldn't be. 

An important aspect we are considering in all cases and investigations is intention. The intention behind this destruction is very clear to us. The players involved did not report this bug to us, but instead simply filled their pockets. Had this stopped with a single voxel removed it would be a different story.  This is, at its core, a violation of the EULA and against the intentions of beta. We have been as understanding as we can until this point, but there must be a line.

Let us be clear, we will not tolerate this kind of behaviour during any phase of the development of Dual Universe.

The players responsible for the destruction of the market have been permanently banned from Dual Universe, and all salvaged materials and assets gained will be removed without compensation.

Sincerely,
The Novaquark Team

Follow up statement: 

51 minutes ago, NQ-Naerais said:

The destruction of the build isn’t a quick fix

Excuse me? Are you saying no blueprints were made of those markets? 'Fixing' it should be as simple as deleting the old construct and replacing it. A task that would take a couple minutes, maximum, with the blueprints.

51 minutes ago, NQ-Naerais said:

The players responsible for the destruction of the market have been permanently banned from Dual Universe

This is a reaction I would expect from children in a sandbox, not mature adults.

edit: Apparently the 'quick fix' is a reference to the market orders.

Market orders aren't exactly a blueprint

To which I have exactly one reply: What?

Market orders should be stored in the database and no removal of market constructs should EVER affect those.

Oof. Find bug, make sure it's a visible problem. Get banned.

I guess it's time to cancel my sub. Been an interesting time guys, but if you want to completely hammer a promising game into the ground and punish people exposing issues while doing so is pretty much a total no-go from me. I'll watch the dumpster fire from the sidelines.

Man guys, be real. They didnt expose a bug. They broke down a market including its link to the market system which was never intended to be deleted. They never reported, they only intended to break and remove. 

Hilarious would've been leave it intact but add something funny to it like a meme.

Just now, Samlow said:

They broke down a market including its link to the market system

Why should that affect anything? Why should it ever have affected the market orders? Fixing it should be as simple as deploy new market, adjust line of code in market control script to access that part of the database again. Done.

and I will support the developers, since my database worth 500,000,000 was disassembled and stolen in the same way, here is a link to the topic, I created a ticket, but there is no feedback yet, I ask you to sort it out soon and compensate me for the lost time, at least in the amount of what I lost, here is a link to the topic

Ticket #35558

Scoopy here (guy who was ban hammered)

We knew we probably were gonna get in trouble after our heist. I didn't think it would be a permanent ban especially due to:

Theft Via RDMS: RDMS permissions and settings are the sole discretion of each player. We advise you take the time to get to know and understand the system and be cautious when making a construct or element usable by unknown players, including the use of your friends list. Not every player has your best interest at heart. We can not get involved with permission based theft, whether as an individual or an organization. We encourage you to review your friends list each time you add or remove someone and ensure your construct permissions are set accordingly. The context menu options that set public access currently do not have a confirmation prompt, be careful as setting public access to said construct will allow every player in Dual Universe to go into build mode and remove/place elements and voxels. [Allowed]

on top of this, I did report this! :) see another reply below (the attached image broke)

report.PNG

3 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Grow up. All they had to do was report the bug. If you use bugs for gain without reporting I have no sympathy for those banned. Good riddance. 

So people that have had their base stolen through an exploit and NOT rdms mixups like ONIXXX just reported above should be happy to have their time wasted? It's a big bug and exposed another problem with the way their market orders work and are tied to a construct. That's terrible planning.. But I'll just leave quietly now and get the marshmallows. Enjoy the smell of burning tires.

19 minutes ago, Samlow said:

Man guys, be real. They didnt expose a bug. They broke down a market including its link to the market system which was never intended to be deleted. 

If that was the result on the back end then NQ has _far_ bigger problems than this. That is just plain bad coding. We already learned form this that the market system is not actually physical in game and entirely "in the cloud". If cutting the link by removing the terminals means you destroy the data then that is just .. bad on their side and o, saying they'd not expect this to happen is not an excuse.

8 minutes ago, IvanGrozniy said:

There were certain community helper(s) that did the same stuff but have since scrubbed their images from the gallery.

But ok, nothing to see here, just sipping my tea.

OoOOooo juicy.... spill!

1 hour ago, NQ-Naerais said:

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist (though we know there are a few of you out there) to understand that the markets are not a community construction, and as such not intended to be handled by players on this level. The destruction of the build isn’t a quick fix, and was clearly done knowing it shouldn't be. 

So basically - what you're saying if players screw up RDMS, it's on them, if NQ screws up RDMS, it's a violation of the EULA?

Really guys? It's pretty clear when players are able to get access to other peoples constructs that they were 'not intended' to have access by the owner. Yet when it's players, that's fine.

But when YOU screw up - you ban the players?

Absurd.

1 minute ago, Mordgier said:

So basically - what you're saying if players screw up RDMS, it's on them, if NQ screws up RDMS, it's a violation of the EULA?

Really guys? It's pretty clear when players are able to get access to other peoples constructs that they were 'not intended' to have access by the owner. Yet when that's fine.

But when YOU screw up - you ban the players?

Absurd.

There is no absurs, its clear line - you can mess up with players as much as you like, just leave NQ stuff out of it. Simple. Infuriating but simple.

While I find the heist inacceptable, I am shocked by the decision of permaban, a temporary ban (even long) would be better imo. Maybe this has been done to send a message to players for future abuses...

49 minutes ago, Scoopy said:

Scoopy here (guy who was ban hammered)

We knew we probably were gonna get in trouble after our heist. I didn't think it would be a permanent ban especially due to:

Spoiler

Theft Via RDMS: RDMS permissions and settings are the sole discretion of each player. We advise you take the time to get to know and understand the system and be cautious when making a construct or element usable by unknown players, including the use of your friends list. Not every player has your best interest at heart. We can not get involved with permission based theft, whether as an individual or an organization. We encourage you to review your friends list each time you add or remove someone and ensure your construct permissions are set accordingly. The context menu options that set public access currently do not have a confirmation prompt, be careful as setting public access to said construct will allow every player in Dual Universe to go into build mode and remove/place elements and voxels. [Allowed]

on top of this, I did report this! :) see another reply below (the attached image broke)

report.PNG

You know markets are not player structures and this rule does not apply here, common sense should have stopped you from stealing anything.

Just now, Elrood said:

There is no absurs, its clear line - you can mess up with players as much as you like, just leave NQ stuff out of it. Simple. Infuriating but simple.

I would advise NQ  take the time to get to know and understand the system and be cautious when making a construct or element usable by unknown players.

That way when their stuff gets jacked they don't need to whine on the forums about it.

1 minute ago, Elrood said:

just leave NQ stuff out of it

Except that it wasn't NQ stuff. The markets are owned by Aphelia. Where is it stated that Aphelia is NQ? Aphelia should not be NQ.

This market heist should have had an ingame response, not a Hand of Zod response.

This is the worst case scenario. Where the official response to an issue that has been plaguing the general community for the longest time is "It's not our problem" until the devs get hit by it.

Can you see what kind of precedence you are placing by putting yourselves ABOVE the players this way? SPECIALLY since there was NOTHING in the rules stating that this would be a violation.

Simply assuming that people will work by your own definition of "common sense" is folly. Specially when your view excludes the "common sense" of other people in the first place.

My own interpretation of "common sense" here, is that if you allow one person to exploit the system in unintended ways against another player, you should expect this kind of behavior to apply to EVERYONE. you included. If you fail to protect yourselves properly against this, then it falls strictly to YOU for failing to do so. If you do not like this, then you need to apply and enforce stricter rules protecting EVERYONE from these unlawful exploits.

Heed my warning: If you are going to play favorites, this project will end in bankrupcy.

The proper way to handle this, would be a slap on the wrist of the people responsible, and working on fixing the issue for everyone.