Please let us know if there's going to be a wipe.

Buck_Rogers

Not expecting a wipe somewhere during beta is IMO very naïve. NQ will do whatever they can to not wipe, including sacrificing their options in actually progressing in game development and improvement, they will also make every attempt to not have you lose assets but whether you are in favor of one or not, you need to be prepared and ready to handle a wipe, partial or not.

NQ has never committed to not doing a (partial) wipe and frankly, they can't.

16 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Not expecting a wipe somewhere during beta is IMO very naïve.

I disagree with that statement - NQ told us that they're not intending doing a wipe, so I guess there's a solid chance that it'll be that way.

My guess is that most players aren't interested getting all wiped out what they've built up the past months... myself, I don't think I'll be continuing playing DU if all were for nothing.

1 hour ago, Cytoxx said:

I disagree with that statement - NQ told us that they're not intending doing a wipe, so I guess there's a solid chance that it'll be that way.

They do not intent to wipe sure. And while you are obviously free to disagree it is my opinion that NQ will not be able to avoid at least one wipe in the next 12-18 months for technical reasons and/or reasons of growing impact of exploits and unbalanced mechanics alone. Committing to no wipes during what really stil lis Alpha stage development and through Beta is silly IMO and NQ should have never made that statement. At best "we would prefer to not wipe but can't guarantee we will not have to due to development reasons" would have been better and IMO that is pretty much what they have said wit het community being the party interpreting what they said as "we will not wipe"

NQ has never said they wil not wipe, they have said they have no plans to wipe but will if they need to. My point is that we should expect that they will "need to" sometime between now and "release" and that excluding that option from your reasoning is naïve.

Direct quote from JC in interview.

We are going to keep Alioth as it is. So you can continue to dig, to build, to invest and it is not going to go away.

So NQ has made their bed, and people have made plans and actions accordingly based on this promise. A wipe after this statement would be catastrophic, and could only be justified by an actual make or break situation for the entire game. And granted he is specifically talking about Alioth here, so there is some wiggle room for other parts of the game. But it would hardly be fair if players on other planets got wiped, while bases on Alioth stayed put.

Here is a link to the part of the video where they discuss this topic.

The quote you use is out of context though, it does _not_ relate to there being a wipe or not during beta, it relates to the fact NQ has pretty much sacrificed their progress and improvements of the game by what I believe to be caving in to the complaining creatives and big industry orgs who feared for their precious build s and position in game if a wipe were to occur due to the planet changes for which a wipe was planned. It does not change the possibility of a wipe which I honestly believe to be inevitable in the next 12-18 months at least once.

For that same reason (compromise) I believe NQ will decide to leave Alioth to be entirely a safe zone and may even leave the Alioth/Madis/Thades safezone in place to create a virtual "creative mode sandbox". This entirely nullifies their original plans to make the world tough, harsh and unforgiving to those who choose to not play the game and just "build stuff". I think this may be in part because on the other side of the spectrum they plan to pretty much hand the rest of the game world over to the pewpew crowd with very minimal ways to actually build defenses and protection against raids and PVP because that would take way to much resources and time than what NQ has available on their minute budget, while maintaining a player base big enough to keep the lights on. Alternatively they may actually leave the entire system as it now is and just move on to new solar systems with the new planet tech and no safezones but sanctuary moons (and possible frequently respawn ores in the current system to establish the "creative mode system".  So they will in fact create two games in one and compromise the core promise of the game during kickstarter. Just my thoughts obviously..

Out of context? How do you consolidate saying there will be a wipe because it is still beta with " So you can continue to dig, to build, to invest and it is not going to go away"?

And regarding safe zones. It would be pretty weird spending all that time and money making a voxel based MMO, and not even cater a little to those pesky "builder type" players.. PvP is dime a dozen, and it is the building/scripting part that makes this game into something different and interesting.

It's out of context because the question and answer were regarding the incoming planet tech changes and already announced subsequent announced (partial) wipe for that, not about a (possible) wipe in general which is what you seem to want to imply the quote refers to.

NQ's position with regards to a wipe has not changed as far as I know and is still that  they do not plan to, but may if they need to. And I believe that they will need to sometime in the next 12-18 months. It is also not at all unreasonable to consider that at the time of official launch NQ may decide to wipe and give the existing player base their blueprints and their accrued talent points back which would be a massive advantage.

Remember that back in April, we were still under the impression that the game would remain in closed, backer only access until release which is/was planned for sometime 2nd half of 2021.. While some saw the signs of a possible open beta early on, NQ pretty much kept that under wraps until the first Twitch stream which was on 30th April where JC pretty much let that information slip out (which I believe was not intended at that time). NQ has a history of changing their position and doing so fairly short notice so I would not hold too much hope for there not being any wipes prior to or at "release".

Also, we know that from those who bothered to let their voice be heard, roughly 66% said they would continue to play in case of a wipe. I expect the vast majority would just take a wipe in stride and move on, starting over and the number dropping out would be far less then some seem to think with many who say they'd quit "reluctantly" just starting again.

While yes, it's speculation, I still believe NQ will opt to wipe at the official launch, possible with a 2-4 week head start for existing players if only to try and draw in new players and their subscription at that time (I also think the subscription will go up in price and become monthly on official release which will allow NQ to not compensate the backers for the loss in value of their backer pledges due to the much lower sub price now).