Marketplace Performance Improvements

Hello Noveans,

We realize that the districts currently represent a performance bottleneck, as they are a choke point between markets, institutes and the starting zone for new players. Even though we have identified performance improvements that should help solve these issues, we have decided to make some immediate changes to prevent these issues from affecting the performance for new players, until we are able to roll out these improvements.

So we are making some temporary changes such as relocating many of the services you have come to know and expect in the districts: 

• New Stand Alone Markets will be moved approx. 2km from the associated district. 
  • All pending orders will be transferred to the new market building. 
  • All institutes will be removed from districts on Alioth and Sanctuary. 
  • A new single Institute will be created near the Arkship. 
  • Transport stations will be placed at all Districts to be able to get to the Institutes. 

The institutes appear to be a heavy driver of performance issues, by removing them from higher traffic areas we hope to provide a better market experience for players overall. 

Players who log out on one of the affected construct buildings may find themselves in a new location when returning post maintenance. We recommend bookmarking important places and construct locations. 

As always, we appreciate your patience while we work, and welcome your feedback on the changes and performance improvements once complete.  We expect these changes will occur over the next few update cycles during October. 

Sincerely,

The Novaquark Team

• 5 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 3:22 PM, NQ-Naerais said:

So we are making some temporary changes such as relocating many of the services you have come to know and expect in the districts: 

• New Stand Alone Markets will be moved approx. 2km from the associated district. 
  • All pending orders will be transferred to the new market building. 
  • All institutes will be removed from districts on Alioth and Sanctuary. 
  • A new single Institute will be created near the Arkship. 
  • Transport stations will be placed at all Districts to be able to get to the Institutes. 

Sadly it still takes me 15 minutes to completely load the markets with a million constructs and BS LUA running on them. my 6 frames I get trying to land 1 tile away and walking over so I can stay in linked container range is a fun and bewildering experience for me and all newer players

22 hours ago, FuriousPuppy said:

Sadly it still takes me 15 minutes to completely load the markets with a million constructs and BS LUA running on them. my 6 frames I get trying to land 1 tile away and walking over so I can stay in linked container range is a fun and bewildering experience for me and all newer players

I'm curious did you see any improvement at all right after the change? 

It's lovely to see NQ makes a big deal out of how they make changes to improve performance, even throw in they have the data to show it will.. yet.. it gets only worse.. just like we told them it would..

Throwing stuff at a wall in the hope something sticks. So far it just resulted in a lot of junk on the floor..

On 4/2/2021 at 9:11 AM, NQ-Naerais said:

I'm curious did you see any improvement at all right after the change? 

I did notice some improvement, but im saying that instead of 9 frames a second at M6 I now get 12.. a far stretch from my 74 frames at my base on planet. 32 gigs of ram, 1080TI, core-i9, solid state 1TB

its just mildly frustrating since we said the construct clutter is making things worse for everyone, we need a reliable way to reduce the ships and add boards blocking everything  and making a huge maze of ships.. I think the player base wanted a long term solution to AFK ships and add boards blocking stuff, and instead we just created more room for them. If we get a huge bump in players, the markets will only get worse with afk players leaving giant 1000+ element ships blocking entire pads. Just them flying that 60+ atmo engine causes people to crash and DC with the lag

We know you guys want to make the market look cool and busy, but at this point the playerbase just wants it to be less laggy.

You should make it so whenever we park the ships, they get moved automatically to a space far away, then there should be a retrieval location.  Just an idea but hey maybe something you can expand upon.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:44 PM, TheMasterArchitect said:

We know you guys want to make the market look cool and busy, but at this point the playerbase just wants it to be less laggy.

You should make it so whenever we park the ships, they get moved automatically to a space far away, then there should be a retrieval location.  Just an idea but hey maybe something you can expand upon.

The team is still working on long term solutions, these were temporary measures in most cases. 

6 hours ago, NQ-Naerais said:

The team is still working on long term solutions, these were temporary measures in most cases. 

Seriously, how many threads and posts do you need before you MOVE/REMOVE the construct clutter. How many? Its been 6 months, and this comes up every other week. Treat the markets like airport long term parking, 3 weeks idle and your construct is abandoned. It gets towed and placed as a compact in the market terminal it was towed from. The price to buy back becomes the constructs core size and mass. Simple to do, easy solution, will reduce market place lag. Everyone will be happy, and players that want add boards will have to get them out of impound every 3 weeks.

@NQ-Naerais

So now I found the info where the find the location next to the Ark Ship on Alioth.

How about a marker on the in game map?

And honestly:

How is the technology behind DU in it's current form ever to take care of a player increase?

If it is already not dealing well with the current situation?

A friend of mine, whom I introduced into the game, has way more experience than me with MMO's.

The first thing he pointed out was exactly this: have 1.000 players in one area and check the performance.

Is this always re-inventing the wheel?

Given today's systems / machines what is the big problem here?

Star Citizen hasn't got it yet.

@Seijuro

Sounds like "Salvage" to me regarding the clutter "solution":

https://upvote.dualuniverse.game/suggestions/116121/garbage-collecting-and-scavenging-gameplay