JC - This game is not Ready Player One....

Mordgier

On 10/16/2020 at 4:19 AM, Mordgier said:

Great, so lets be clear here, if there was a MMO where only a handful of players can 'win' - I sure wouldn't play it - because that doesn't sound like fun to me because I know full well that despite how much I poopsock I don't come close to the level of the top .0001% of the players who stand an actual chance.

That is the whole damn issue with RPO and this event. It caters to outliers. That's what makes it a bad event. That's what makes RPO a terrible game. That's the whole point. That's why looking at RPO and saying DU is like it is absolutely toxic.

A good event is where a much larger part of the community can participate and much larger number can win. This wasn't it.

The worst thing is that DU is building on a foundation of other REAL games not absurd fiction that did events and did them so much better that it blows my mind that JC does not see the DU event as an absolute failure.

Did you play Elite? Did you participate in the alien event? You know....this one: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/01/06/the-elite-dangerous-alien-discovery-is-one-of-the-coolest-gaming-events-ive-ever-seen/#5f5179c37389

That was in my opinion an example of an event that was well done. Who won? The community did.

I gotta say you picked a really bad game and a really bad element of that game for your comparison.

The thargoid interaction there was a bit of eye candy that's all, something that happened randomly to pilots in certain sectors.

What about the tonnes of other puzzles? the Guardian Bases, The Thargoid bases, Raxxla, the artefacts the strange triangular, patterns on them , the images embedded into audio signals that had to be deciphered out of the game?

To solve most of them you needed a degree in astrophysics, astronomy something pretty much 75% of the player base didn't have, in fact if you looked at the forums most of those discoveries were made by the same people.

4 hours ago, dizzy@dizzyhigh.com said:

To solve most of them you needed a degree in astrophysics, astronomy something pretty much 75% of the player base didn't have, in fact if you looked at the forums most of those discoveries were made by the same people.

More like 98%. And yes wonder why it's the same people? because they're close to the staff and some players out if this group became staff even. I think people really don't see the extend of nepotism here. I find JCs obsession with RPO really creepy and it doesn't fit into the concept of Dual Universe at all. There is absolutely no deep social focus besides trading in this game and very little incentive to leave your ship for anything than mining and selling that ore imho. 

5 hours ago, dizzy@dizzyhigh.com said:

I gotta say you picked a really bad game and a really bad element of that game for your comparison.

The thargoid interaction there was a bit of eye candy that's all, something that happened randomly to pilots in certain sectors.

What about the tonnes of other puzzles? the Guardian Bases, The Thargoid bases, Raxxla, the artefacts the strange triangular, patterns on them , the images embedded into audio signals that had to be deciphered out of the game?

It does not really matter how bad or good you think the ED events were as they were still without a doubt better than the DU event. 

People will keep crying about the game being too complicated for as long as they keep getting outplayed by someone else.

Learning the game is a dead concept. People don't pay for access to an MMO world, they pay to have a victory handed over to them.

I think there is a difference if only an elite close to the staff circle can participate in world quests or if you create open and accessible events which would call for an actual group effort of the community and not a selected few. I don't think it's about winning but about being able to part take in a game. Events should cater to the masses indeed, especially in an MMO. 

At least with a name with the root of “Thor” it’s likely to just be useful in energy production, rather than being used for something critical like portals/star gates/whatever.

and at least with every type of defense being paper thin, if it’s a fuel for a super weapon.  It’ll be used for epeen wagging, rather than being more effective than normal weapons. 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:02 AM, Mornington said:

Couple of things I picked up from listening to the interview and what people have said here. 

This Easter egg hunt was in one key way the opposite of Ready Player One.

Three Org leaders with hundreds of players in their Orgs were principal Gunters, they also involved players in their Orgs. 

That does not really equate with RPO (where a small band of plucky individuals, not Corporation leaders) are the heroes.

Amusingly it also sounds like Whitemeat (around 22-24 minutes in) reveals that Knoober betrayed his own Org members by selling out that they were close to the discovery, so DSI reinforcements were brought in to blockade and destroy ships. Interesting leadership choice that. Congrats f you're an Infinity Corp member that got your ship trashed that weekend. 

If I'm wrong about that and IC were told in back channels to stay away, fair play, but that's not how the interview sounds. :)

For clarity, I'd also joined Wayfarers, as a new player during Beta, and can say players were openly encouraged to find and discover the artifacts, but not spoon fed the keys to solving the puzzle. 

@Mornington Be careful what you are suggesting here without knowing the details.  But since you brought this up, I had already made it onto Lacobus past the blockade AND warned Infinity Corp about the blockade AND had already entered into negotiations with Whitemeat and the other "gunters" to join them in our efforts when I had announced to them that we were close to having the entire puzzle.  I took the risk personally instead of putting my org members in danger.

Don't assume you know what is going on with limited information from the interview. Its called strategy and diplomacy and both worked perfectly, with zero IC ships being destroyed, and a share of the Thoramine in our vault.

-Knoober

2 hours ago, Mornington said:

Very glad I was wrong about that, but it was how he interview sounded. 

Read Kurock's story about it the other day. Hear you're the chap to talk to about cartwheeling trucks :)

Cartwheeling ships (and space trucks) is 100% true ?

2 minutes ago, dumpeet said:

Fixed that for you.

It's obviously not ready - that's why it's in 'beta'.

Although given that you could claim that what we currently have isn't enough to be called a vertical slice...it's hard to argue that it's anything more than a proof of concept of some of the gameplay elements....

5 hours ago, Endstar said:

This is easily summed up... This was a test, a test of the a event/puzzle/exploration system, this was only a test. 

That's all find and good - and as long as we agree that the test was a failure - we're on the same page.

That was not how JC seemed to see it on the stream which is why I made the post in the first place.

1 hour ago, Mordgier said:

That was not how JC seemed to see it on the stream which is why I made the post in the first place.

I re-watched this and several older JC interviews and kinda think I got (at least partly) why he can produce this impression of being... little bit out of touch?

Most of JC ideas not grounded in actual, harsh and overcompetitive gameplay reality. Like he thinks about some concept (that can be even good on paper), imagine how players will play it, have fun, how economy and interaction will work etc. On this almost (sorry JC) amaterish level of disign, where "great ideas" kinda not mix well with methodical work.

... but all his things are based on... normal people? : ) Like you bring some puny casuals who never played MMO and they can actulay (maybe) behave like JC dreaming.

... yet here, in reality, his ideas not even tested, but destoroyed by some of worst no-life grinding bloody space-loving bastards galaxy ever seen. And JCs concepts in hands of this hard people transformed into some mockery of initial idea. 

Its like prepare kindergarten Christmas party and throw it (with all same script, presents and shit) into max security prison block for locals to enjoy. Generaly what happened in week 1.

Like WTF are you talking about.

Like some challenge, someone solving something ?

Should I like watch 10 discord channels 20 youtube channels and be subscribed to 30 twichers(or whatever) to be updated to what's happening in 1 game that I play ?

I didn't even know that there was some challenge.

You say they handed something to some org ? I say they just created private content because most people have lives and don't follow 100500 different game related bullshit videos to get info on how to play it.