Alternative to Voxelmancy/Vertex Tool

TrueShoba

Don't get me wrong, I like that not all voxel simply cubes, but as the system works now is just plain wrong. I watched 3 videos about voxelmancy just to realize that the system is not good at all. It's unintuitive mess. And for what reason?

If I understand the way voxel work correctly each voxel does have 8 points, which can be moved up to +/- 1/2 voxel size into any direction, but they share 1-4 points with any neighbouring voxel, depending on how much contact they share (area, edge, point). So why not (i want to use the word simply, but I know with game development, nothing is simple) add a tool (useable in build mode), which shows all visible vertices (only from voxels which are there and/or visible). You can select them by clicking them or deselect by clicking them again or aiming at nothing. Then you can move them by using the cursor or page up/down buttons just like with any regular element/voxel construct, by 1/8th voxel or so (maybe fine tune it by pressing shift). I know that I just basically explained vertex edit from any traditional 3d software (blender, 3ds max, etc), but there is a reason why these exist. Imagine you had to do the same in blender to get a small cylinder you have to do in DU.

As I recall, in Minecraft a voxel is defined by its position in space (x,yz) and a material - it is of fixed size and shape.
In DU, a voxel is defined by a position in space (x,y,z), a material, and a (1) vertex whose position relative to the voxel position can vary within a restricted range.

(Note: this explains why a core is seen to have one less "voxel" than advertised - it takes two voxels to define 1 edge [3 to define 2 edges etc.]).
What we see in voxel systems is defined (in part) by the vertices whose voxels have a material defined and also border those that have no material (sometimes called air voxels) - so interior voxels (those surrounded by voxels with a material) are never rendered.
The primary reason for using voxels is that they allow "real-time" modification (changing the material or vertex position) of a voxel which is readily rendered. In particular it allows "destructability" used in terraforming (mining) and PvP.