Would you leave if they wiped before Launch

Moosegun

Would you leave DU if they wiped?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. If NQ bowed to new player pressure and said they were going to wipe on launch would you?

• continue playing and then restart at launch
    • leave the game and never return
    • stop playing now and return for launch
    • post memes

There is a lot of comments on the forum at the moment about wiping the game, and how it would help bring in new players who wouldnt want to be 'behind' everyone else.  My own personal opinion is that I would 100% stop playing now, completely for Beta and probably wouldnt come back for launch.  As there is no incentive to play and it would wipe out the month of dedicated work I put into the game because I thought it was live.

Just wondered how other people felt, as i personally think wiping would do far more damage to the current / vets player base and it would have positive effect on new players joining.

I dunno, getting ahead seems a good reason to be a kickstarter :) Seems like a nice payback for alpha/beta woes. This will be better than Earth and Beyond cause we got the /emotes already. We need to be able to keep BP's and points imho. So we at least know how much effort to put into creating vaporware.

I seem to recall JC saying there wouldn't be a wipe like that cause things were getting to be an investment on the players time. It was a video with some goob hosting. Sorry goob, forgot your name. Someone prove me whong so I don't have to look it up?

In the meantime, there will be things we want to rebuild for anyway (as in ships docking / nerf hosed a lotta peoples designs:ex). 

Thanks for the sandbox.

3 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

I dunno, getting ahead seems a good reason to be a kickstarter :) Seems like a nice payback for alpha/beta woes. This will be better than Earth and Beyond cause we got the /emotes already. We need to be able to keep BP's and points imho. So we at least know how much effort to put into creating vaporware.

I seem to recall JC saying there wouldn't be a wipe like that cause things were getting to be an investment on the players time. It was a video with some goob hosting. Sorry goob, forgot your name. Someone prove me whong so I don't have to look it up?

In the meantime, there will be things we want to rebuild for anyway (as in ships docking / nerf hosed a lotta peoples designs:ex). 

Thanks for the sandbox.

goob

o7

2 hours ago, Moosegun said:

There is a lot of comments on the forum at the moment about wiping the game, and how it would help bring in new players who wouldnt want to be 'behind' everyone else.  My own personal opinion is that I would 100% stop playing now, completely for Beta and probably wouldnt come back for launch.  As there is no incentive to play and it would wipe out the month of dedicated work I put into the game because I thought it was live.

Just wondered how other people felt, as i personally think wiping would do far more damage to the current / vets player base and it would have positive effect on new players joining.

I have stopped playing the game, but if I come back a wipe would push me away from the game. I also don't think it would help new players catch up as you would have orgs getting their areas together immediately after wipe...

3 hours ago, Moosegun said:

and how it would help bring in new players who wouldnt want to be 'behind' everyone else.

I honestly think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about a good number of those who make a case for an eventual wipe. It is _not_ about new players not being able to catch up at all. That is a nonsense argument in itself as in a balanced game, new players would be able to progress to a point where they can participate on equal footing fairly quickly and then specialize.

I think NQ should do what they said.

If they do a wipe, it should come with refunded playtime -- it's a massive bait-and-switch otherwise. You can't promise one thing to get people to open their wallets, then decide that actually that was a lie so sorry.

Attracting players is not the most important thing for an MMO! Going free to play would "attract new players". 

The key is actually retaining those players. 

A reset doesn't fix anything...it literally just puts the game back to where it was at beta launch. For what reason?

A few months later, people will still be like "well I'd play...but I don't want to be behind". Actually no...you wouldn't play. You'd build a speeder, get bored, and leave like many others. 

No one is entering DU and leaving because they feel like they can't catch up on talents...there's a billion and one other reasons they are leaving that need to get fixed first. 

23 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

I honestly think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about a good number of those who make a case for an eventual wipe. It is _not_ about new players not being able to catch up at all. That is a nonsense argument in itself as in a balanced game, new players would be able to progress to a point where they can participate on equal footing and then specialize.

Would you risk alienating a large part of your playerbase, those that have been here for years and supported the game, to do that.  What purpose would it serve, apart form put us back to square one, having to build civilization again but this time with pvp in place.  Part of the benefit for this period of no pvp is it give civilisation a change to grow.

My friends and I are invested enough in this game and its promises that we would probably keep playing even if they announced a wipe at the end of the beta and then just start from scratch. Mind you, we wouldn't be happy about that decision at all, but we like this type of game enough to power through something like that.

There is a lot of freaking crybabies in the gaming environment, the game is in BETA it's going to be a worse game at launch if we don't allow them to wipe, DEV time to upgrade and include all the systems and content they want to include while maintaining what people built functioning is going to ruin the game and that is the choice of stupid people who don't understand that joining a game in development means having to sometimes lose progress! I am completely OK with a universe WIPE (maybe they can keep skills but I'll be OK with a FULL WIPE too), the game is in beta let them finish it and then let us all start together in a better and more fleshed out universe.

2 minutes ago, w1r3dh4ck3r said:

There is a lot of freaking crybabies in the gaming environment, the game is in BETA it's going to be a worse game at launch if we don't allow them to wipe, DEV time to upgrade and include all the systems and content they want to include while maintaining what people built functioning is going to ruin the game and that is the choice of stupid people who don't understand that joining a game in development means having to sometimes lose progress! I am completely OK with a universe WIPE (maybe they can keep skills but I'll be OK with a FULL WIPE too), the game is in beta let them finish it and then let us all start together in a better and more fleshed out universe.

People have the right to do what ever they wish with their time and money. Should people decide to stop playing in the case of a wipe that is their right. Not sure why you need to insult people for choosing to stop doing something as it is no longer entertaining. 

this beta aka soft launch had no more wipes planned and if they would change this later on this will just hurt the game.

i think how they handle this is just about right...the basics are there, no wipes planned means those following will spend a lot more time in the game which in return gives way more data for them to fix things. after all they play it safe with only 1 solar system open and can later on just open the universe so there is more then enough to be explored by those that join later and in the end it isn't too bad if there is a well settled system with filled markets .. this has to work anyway as there will hopefully always be fresh players joining and you can't wipe a game like this every 3 months :P

52 minutes ago, FryingDoom said:

People have the right to do what ever they wish with their time and money. Should people decide to stop playing in the case of a wipe that is their right. Not sure why you need to insult people for choosing to stop doing something as it is no longer entertaining. 

There in lays the problem, I've not insulted anyone that chose to stop playing the game if its no longer fun, I'm calling out bulshit on people that play a beta game and demand that all the progress they made be completely safe... that is by definition stupid.

1 hour ago, w1r3dh4ck3r said:

It is not about being a 'crybaby' it is about a company selling something and then completely going back on it.  If they had said that there would be a wipe, no problem.  If they had said they couldnt confirm anything, no problem but they didnt, they chose to soft launch the game.  Reading your post I am not even sure you know any of this.

So you are completely missing the point, if you say to people - there will be 'no complete wipe' unless it is unavoidable and then people make decisions and invest loads of time and effort based on that. Then you turn around and decide that actually no, all of that time and effort would be lost, people will be pissed.

The 'no wipe' decision was NQ's they made it, as such I committed a huge amount of my time, if they go back on that it is a massive FUCK YOU to me and others who have invested that time.

I understand why they made it, they had to because they started to charge subs.

Please note, I dont think they will wipe

Oh and as you chose to call me both a crybaby and stupid, WTF is that username, are you 12?

33 minutes ago, w1r3dh4ck3r said:

There in lays the problem, I've not insulted anyone that chose to stop playing the game if its no longer fun, I'm calling out bulshit on people that play a beta game and demand that all the progress they made be completely safe... that is by definition stupid.

Is it stupid when the devs tell you there would be no wipe???  Please explain..... you could use your own definition.  Seems to be different from mine.

...the game is in BETA it's going to be a worse game at launch if we don't allow them to wipe, DEV time to upgrade and include all the systems and content they want to include while maintaining what people built functioning is going to ruin the game and that is the choice of stupid people who don't understand...

I like how everyone else is stupid, but this explanation makes no sense... 

Exactly how does a wipe solve this problem in production? If they didn't consider how to make updates to the gameplay without breaking content, a beta wipe won't save them. 

They only plan beta for a year...it isn't a lot of time to make all these sweeping changes you might imagine that would require wipes.

Some patches will 100% "break" structures, but wiping them all isn't a viable solution in production...so why would it be for beta which needs to test every aspect of production -- including how players respond to "breaking" changes...? The time for periodic wipes to do all these "upgrades" was Alpha...

EDIT: I can see how playing the game, you'd think they have years to go before release and a few wipes wouldn't be a big deal, but I do think they're striving to meet that 2021 release date....which means they need as much time as possible to test how things scale and a wipe could be counterproductive. What you're playing now is probably a lot closer to release version than players imagine lol. 

6 minutes ago, michaelk said:

I like how everyone else is stupid, but this explanation makes no sense... 

Exactly how does a wipe solve this problem in production? If they didn't consider how to make updates to the gameplay without breaking content, a beta wipe won't save them. 

They only plan beta for a year...it isn't a lot of time to make all these sweeping changes you might imagine that would require wipes.

Some patches will 100% "break" structures, but wiping them all isn't a viable solution in production...so why would it be for beta which needs to test every aspect of production -- including how players respond to "breaking" changes...? The time for periodic wipes to do all these "upgrades" was Alpha...

I am going to agree with you here, if they can do it without delay and without sacrificing quality (I know that is not possible, they already dropped some visual improvements on planets just to avoid destroying players buildings and diggings) them by all means don't wipe anything, what I mean is: I want this game to be the best it can be, and players always seem to plant themselves squarely in the way of this objective.

I will probably leave and come back a few times, regardless of a wipe. I foolishly bought in for 12 months but I think I've gotten at least 40 hours of play out of it -- comparable to what I would get from a "AAA" game at that price point.

My impression of the game is that it seems really neat early on, and getting into space the first time is really cool. Once the novelty wears off though, the digging and industry becomes a chore. I'm sure that being able to devote time to participating in an org would help but I usually can only pop on and switch some industry around.

I'm also disappointed that the PvP primarily seems to be "crime simulator" instead of fighting.

I am going to agree with you here, if they can do it without delay and without sacrificing quality (I know that is not possible, they already dropped some visual improvements on planets just to avoid destroying players buildings and diggings) them by all means don't wipe anything, what I mean is: I want this game to be the best it can be, and players always seem to plant themselves squarely in the way of this objective.

So you would be ok with them wiping and giving everything back to players?  I am cool with that.  They can do that as much work as they want on the game.  MMO's launches are a big thing for some people, this one was for me. When you have invested three years of your life into an alpha, thinking about your starting strat, you then manage to get a significant amount of time off work to ensure that plan is put in place, because you were told it was the launch, people have the right to be pissed if that changes.  As much as I love them, this is NQ's problem of there own making, not mine. I am not complaining about not receiving beta keys or something petty here.

13 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

So you would be ok with them wiping and giving everything back to players?  I am cool with that.  They can do that as much work as they want on the game.  MMO's launches are a big thing for some people, this one was for me. When you have invested three years of your life into an alpha, thinking about your starting strat, you then manage to get a significant amount of time off work to ensure that plan is put in place, because you were told it was the launch, people have the right to be pissed if that changes.  As much as I love them, this is NQ's problem of there own making, not mine. I am not complaining about not receiving beta keys or something petty here.

I would! Just give stuff in magic BPs or give nothing back and start from scratch! Game is in BETA I don't get attached to things in a BETA game and I've progressed quite a bit. Now if they PROMISED there would be no wipes then it's another story, then they should just stick to their guns.

2 hours ago, w1r3dh4ck3r said:

I would! Just give stuff in magic BPs or give nothing back and start from scratch! Game is in BETA I don't get attached to things in a BETA game and I've progressed quite a bit. Now if they PROMISED there would be no wipes then it's another story, then they should just stick to their guns.

I do really get your point, and I would 100% take a wipe for a better game, and I agree I would be stupid not to.

To clarify, they have said that they will do whatever possible to avoid wipes and any wipes that did happen would be compensated.  Tbh I wouldnt even want all of it, infact I would settle for a long headstart. But some sort of recognition of loss is required, I bloody love this game and defend it in a lot of places, if it pisses me off then I think it might upset a few others.

Finding agreement is becoming a worrying trend today

8 minutes ago, paulck3 said:

There should be a wipe. We will be so far ahead in skill points by then.....they should not be punished for not buying into the beta.

But it was a soft launch, it was sold as such, that is why they can charge subs, if people choose not to join, that was their choice.