Warp drives kill PVP

So can we get a charge up timer or something along those lines added to warp drives, and as well have them drop outside the safe zone. At the moment anyone with enough warp cells can just mitigate all risk of getting attacked by pressing the warp button, and if they are being ran down they can just avoid any kind of fight by pressing the warp button. It gets old and frustrating to fight a ship and have them all of the sudden disappear since combat timers are reset on player death. 

there was an ingame AMA which was linked on their website. but since they transitioned I can't find the article anymore.....

regardless: an interdiction mechanic is planned for warp drives so you can pull ppl out of warp. If/how/when is unknown and it was only adressed once by NQ years ago. But they have lots of other problems atm so I wouldn't count on that being a feature in the near future

You know what else kills PvP? Death cubes. death cubes for days.

I'd be more sympathetic to PvP players if the meta wasn't just "lol, I'm so good and orriginal at making ships, I made a box that goes pew pew"

Once the game gets more variety in the weapon types and maybe even an overhaul to how ships can be built so as to give pros and cons to different styles of ships, then we can start talking about PvP.

As it currently stands, all it is is "people with uninspired ships" cleaning out "people who can't reasonably fight back" or "negate the battle with warp drive". If the game persists in its current state, it'll either be one or the other. There won't really be ballance. But I have faith that the devs will come up with a solution. Till then, I could only recommend that you maybe try to fight other PvP ships to keep that bloodthirst in check? That, or you could just keep on fighting the plethora of ships that don't have warp or radars. Don't pretend you haven't.

Till ship building is elaborated a little more, I'll just stick to the tried and true "never get spotted" method.

It’s not player vs player when one person is flying a murder ship and is skilled out in combat skills and the other is just a hauler. Real PvP is a challenge fighting people in ships which want to participate in PvP.

if you are not finding enough people who want to participate in PvP with you than the problem isn’t warp destroying PvP, it’s a lack of people that want to be involved in PvP.

Warp isn’t free, it has a cost. These traders are making a decision, risk getting into a fight they have no chance of competing in, or add the cost of warp to there overheads.

combat ships murdering traders rather than offering them a charge to escape etc., that’s what is killing PvP as everybody has to use warp or just be killed.

18 hours ago, Eruend the SkyReaper said:

A good first couple steps would be limiting weapon sizes to core sizes but maybe that's too much where as expanding upon the idea of a power system beyond mere buffs would be more agreeable to all?

Based on all I've seen so far, the stalking is the only fun part of PVP. Once you've found your prey, it's simply a matter of getting into range, loosing a shot with a button press, then repairing the wreckage and scooping the loot. One shot, where's the fun in that for either side of the hunt? Here I was always thinking engagements between single players would be more drawn out from the first shot to the kill, but that is simply not the case here.

I'm not entirely a fan of the fighting segment of PVP in general, but I eagerly anticipate a rework of the current mechanics.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:08 PM, BlackJack-1 said:

So can we get a charge up timer or something along those lines added to warp drives, and as well have them drop outside the safe zone. At the moment anyone with enough warp cells can just mitigate all risk of getting attacked by pressing the warp button, and if they are being ran down they can just avoid any kind of fight by pressing the warp button. It gets old and frustrating to fight a ship and have them all of the sudden disappear since combat timers are reset on player death. 

No problem. Just after we remove possibility that one or two "2 persons XS ships" can kill any M or L ship regardless of how many crew / guns victim has. 

18 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

It’s not player vs player when one person is flying a murder ship and is skilled out in combat skills and the other is just a hauler.

It would be if the hauler can mount guns and shoot back, but that is not feasible right now because an xs ship can just stay out of hauler's range while shooting it. The pvp capability of a ship should depend more on how many crew it has to man guns, not core size limits to engagement range. Smaller ships would still have advantage of escaping out of range, and small fast ships should probably be harder to hit with larger guns at close range.

• 4 weeks later...

Considering how much warp cells cost to make or buy, I'd say it's fairly balanced right now. And this is from someone who routinely flies through pvp space. Not to mention that warpdrives would cease to be insta-safe button once planetary pvp is introduced. If it becomes a major problem at a later stage, I'd far prefer NQ to be looking at some sort of ECM style weaponry, radar jamming countermeasures, and jamming countermeasures countermeasures (if that makes sense)

On that note, I have no issues with the current balance mechanic as well. More crew should not instantly mean a better ship. Build a ship specific to a role, and that ship should excel in that role. With the exception of how tracking currently works based on the gun size vs. the core it's shooting, creating a scenario where an XS core will never be hit by an L core at the same range while shooting at the L core - regardless of what type of guns the L core has opted for. However, this is already being addressed by NQ from what they've said with regards to what weapons can be equipped on what cores and whatnot. 

EDIT: And I know it's kinda a late edit - but you DO realise that they are already planning to add planetary PvP and remove the safe bubbles around planets right? Which would mean that warp drives are no longer safe. This is already planned and promised. Everyone just needs to wait rather than asking for a re-balance now, then another re-balance to fix the first re-balance, then re-balance again after planet pvp is added. Like the system isn't broken, it's just literally not fully made yet.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:08 AM, BlackJack-1 said:

It will change in few months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, XKentX said:

I think December 26th is the renew date for many players that started since launch. Let's see if "I warp safely everywhere and do everything without any risk" works for sandbox games.

That's why they are running a lot of adds atm lol

On 10/15/2020 at 4:45 AM, Eruend the SkyReaper said:

I'd be more sympathetic to PvP players if the meta wasn't just "lol, I'm so good and orriginal at making ships, I made a box that goes pew pew"

It's not the PvP players fault that the meta is like that. The whole voxel aspect of ship design needs a serious overhaul.

The situation with PvE ships is actually even worse. The mechanical performance of any PvE ship can be improved by deleting all the voxels. In fact, if certain posts on reddit are to be believed, even having symmetric wing elements on your ship reduces its performance. Anyone who is flying a nice-looking ship is playing sub-optimally in terms of resource efficiency.

The only reason PvP ships look worse than PvE ships is because they are under more pressure to play optimally. An inefficient hauler wastes a bit of fuel, but an inefficient PvP ship gets totally destroyed.

If you want cool looking PvP ships then there are only two solutions:

1. Make voxels have no impact on performance (easy to implement, but a waste of a cool feature).

2. Make "pretty" configurations perform better than "ugly" ones (hard to implement efficiently, and will probably need tweaking every time a new ugly meta emerges).

The Balance is simple. For those who want to pay the creds for Warp Cells, LET THEM, id wager most of DU is people just wanting to build. However, PVP should still be a thing, so DU should create astroids that are VERY valuable and locations only partially known. That will attract the risky adventurers and the pirate hunters. so if you want to explore the universe safely you can, but if you want a chance at winning it big or loosing it hard you can. 

I think there should be tiered travel options in between slow boating and the current warp cells which provide a cost vs. safety trade off. The current warp cells are not that expensive and offer perfect safety while the only other alternative requires several hours and is more dangerous. How about tiers for fast travel that allow players to reach planets more quickly at a lower cost, but provide a greater amount of risk? The perfect safety option would still exist, but be more of a luxury item. This would provide lower cost travel options for players, encourage more PVP and provide more game play trade-offs in how you choose to travel depending on your cargo.

An implementation idea for this would be different types of warp cells (basic, advanced, rare, etc) that have an accuracy component for how closely they can get you to your target destination.

• 4 weeks later...