Power management as way to nerf insdustry?!

Elrood

Well, what he is saying makes very little sense and it seems he really does not know much about this at all as he is clearly guessing. He does not know emotes are in, he even says he is "theorizing" and "heard where it is being used" so he has no actual information.. Hence making it up as he goes along

He seems to have "talking points" prepared or given but his responses are really of the mark overall and make little sense.

I'd say it's potentially dangerous to let a level design lead guess in public on game mechanics which may have a big impact.

It's only early beta and they seem to be very reaction-based in their design philosophy. ? 

"We see players are building a lot of industry, we need to add stuff so that you have to go to markets. Maybe if we add power that'll fix it?"

Their entire plan is to not have a plan and figure it out based on what players do...I'm sure someone once said "the key to successful game dev is to not plan anything out and figure it all out later". 

Like, this guy is the lead level designer and he's making guesses based on what he's "heard"...?

Currently it says that DU will have its commercial release in 2021 -- it'd be really funny if NQ thinks they're at the point where they are just finishing up and adding balance/polish and that's why they don't have solid plans...cuz personally I think they have like 3-4 years of core dev left lol. 

I don't think he really had the answers for the questions asked beyond voxel editors...

I don't want to rip on the guy, he clearly had a lot of answers for everything voxel related and was on the ball there...but should have kept his mouth shut about everything else - and to be fair the streamer should have known better than to ask in the first place.

Like - loading speed just being a technology issue and will get better as technology improves? Really? That's your plan? Wait a decade till we are all on gigabit? That's not an option unless you intend to release your game in a decade.

Finally - the streamer basically called pvp griefing - which is absurd. It's in no way the case. Nevermind questions like  "What about players who aren't interested in pvp at all?" - Uhh - pick a game that has no pvp component? Stay in the safe zone? What are you asking that isn't already clear?

"What about players who don't like pvp...."

Give me a break....

Edit: Oh and also - Industry is pretty much the only thing in this game that currently works well. So perhaps strapping more constrains and tedium on the only working piece of your game is not the best idea...

4 hours ago, michaelk said:

Currently it says that DU will have its commercial release in 2021 -- it'd be really funny if NQ thinks they're at the point where they are just finishing up and adding balance/polish and that's why they don't have solid plans...cuz personally I think they have like 3-4 years of core dev left lol. 

I'd agree that NQ thinking they are going to be at a stage where they are able to call it a "release" in a year's time is somewhat concerning. The issue is they seem to be of the opinion that since this is an MMO it's never really finished anyway so they can just set an arbitrary date and call it a "release". Pretty much like how they figured they could set a timeframe for when they were at "Beta" nearly two years in advance and then decided to actually push out stuff or cut it in order to hit that date even when the game is still very far from what would be considered a beta by industry standard definitions.

Your 3-4 year timeframe is a worst case IMO and I'd expect it will be more like 2 years for sure before the "base game" can be considered "done" and all the Kickstart milestones truly achieved. And that would put them at about  a 4 year "delay" for release.

I do not really see that as a problem in itself but I do feel the seemingly present sentiment that they can just move the goalposts and pretend it's done is unrealistic.

3 hours ago, Mordgier said:

Edit: Oh and also - Industry is pretty much the only thing in this game that currently works well. So perhaps strapping more constrains and tedium on the only working piece of your game is not the best idea...

NQ seems to be of the opinion that they actually can and should manipulate the game when the way it's meta and gameplay emerges is not in line with their objectives. Several of us have always said that not having power management in at an early stage is not a good choice as it is a mechanic that is both useful and functional in managing or solving many game design problems the game currently has.

Some examples which can be easily controlled using  power/energy management:

TU upkeep

Base upkeep

Industry

Dynamic construct fitting space

Regarding the interview, after a good few ones with JC, this one was really not good, if not bad and may cause a lot of discussion, misunderstanding and confusion in the community as OP already shows. Not blaming the NQ guy but as a company they should not have allowed for this to happen as it projects an image of an insecure and uninformed dev team (which I expect is not the case).

23 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

NQ seems to be of the opinion that they actually can and should manipulate the game when the way it's meta and gameplay emerges is not in line with their objectives. Several of us have always said that not having power management in at an early stage is not a good choice as it is a mechanic that is both useful and functional in managing or solving many game design problems the game currently has.

Some examples which can be easily controlled using  power/energy management:

TU upkeep

Base upkeep

Industry

Dynamic construct fitting space

Regarding the interview, after a good few ones with JC, this one was really not good, if not bad and may cause a lot of discussion, misunderstanding and confusion in the community as OP already shows. Not blaming the NQ guy but as a company they should not have allowed for this to happen as it projects an image of an insecure and uninformed dev team (which I expect is not the case).

A lot of things can be that we are testing/playing a very incomplete game.  And people can sometimes think that what is now, is what is gonna be later.  And thats simply not the case.  For better or worse this is how DU is being developed, with large core gameplay missing.  I think a lot is to do with the small team and small budget.  It is what it is.   Just like how people are at odds with eachother over pvp a lot of the times.  Because ya right now they can mine any ore or do anything without pvp if they want.  Thats not gonna be the case later.  Same with possibly energy management, or core restrictions with guns, or TCU upkeep, and a million other things.  Im with you on the regards of release.  At some point they are just gonna say "ok game is released" so they can start collecting money from the alpha backers and beta key people.  But when will we see things really start to shape up? a solid 4-5 years from now at least in my opinion.  Ask anyone who played eve in 2003, and what the game was like towards its height at around 2012.  Vastly different game.  I'm sure eve lost tons of people because of "decisions of the devs".  

EVE came up at a time when a game could take years to mature, DU is not in that position in 2020 and will need to "get there" much faster in order to survive. It has the potential to get there but NQ needs to step on the gas to make that happen.

3 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

EVE came up at a time when a game could take years to mature, DU is not in that position in 2020 and will need to "get there" much faster in order to survive. It has the potential to get there but NQ needs to step on the gas to make that happen.

I mean im not doubting that, but reality is, small team, VERY small budget.  So much to do, not enough people and money to do them at once.  Plenty of evidence supporting that fact as they have to prioritize the stuff they for sure want to add/develop.

People build factories, hmm may be, just may be they are building factories because THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO ??? It's factories or digging.

BTW gigabit internet doesn't help load times. I have giga and I still wait 30-40 sec for rights to load before I can use market.

When running back from sanct market to my ship, it's half loaded and it's faster to press "B" and fly into cockpit than to wait for the force-field to load.