Ship Build

DtkerRoc

I am curious as to what elements are needed to build a transport ship, available in atmospheric and space environments. Below is my current checklist and attached is my ship design. I am not looking for someone to give me the best build, but rather what is minimum requirements for a ship like this. We would like to do our own R&D as to what works best for our ship design. I just want to form a checklist of what is absolutely needed for this to work.

1 Dynamic Core S
3 Atmos Engines M
2 Space Engines M
2 Space Engines S
4 Wing Variant M
1 Landing Gear S
2 Landing Gear M
1 Space Fuel Tank M
1 Atmos Fuel Tank M
2 Retro-Rocket Break M
2 Atmos Break L
2 Adjustor L
6 Adjustor M
1 Command Seat

I appreciate and look forward to your input! 

Thanks,

DtkerRoc

mantus.png

I plan hauler by total weight and volume designed under full load.
Weight to carry tells you how much engines you need, volumes to carry tells you how much containers. 
I don't see here info what type of containers you have and what number. 

Also you are missing vertical boosters (or hover) - if this is only atmo than hovers are kind of nearly okey - but not really cause you have space tank either way. If atmo and no atmo - than you need vertical boosters. Number again depends on total weight (ship and cargo). 

4 minutes ago, DtkerRoc said:

@Elrood is there a place I can see a weight to elements required guide?

Dual.sh has a calculator for what you need to get ship out of atmo - not sure about how accurate myself but people were using it. Beside that you can see weights in the crafting menu. If you want to calculate it yourself - F = m*a works :P mostly but get complicated with atmo density changing engines and lift efficiency. Also g force change with height.

10 minutes ago, Elrood said:

Dual.sh has a calculator for what you need to get ship out of atmo - not sure about how accurate myself but people were using it. Beside that you can see weights in the crafting menu. If you want to calculate it yourself - F = m*a works :P mostly but get complicated with atmo density changing engines and lift efficiency. Also g force change with height.

Yeah, I feel ya. I am new at the game, so still getting over this learning curve. Appreicate the information, though!

On 10/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, Elrood said:

Also you are missing vertical boosters (or hover) - if this is only atmo than hovers are kind of nearly okey - but not really cause you have space tank either way. If atmo and no atmo - than you need vertical boosters. Number again depends on total weight (ship and cargo). 

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but since it is about ship building: How come my atmo ship which uses Hover Engines, and is not really balanced (as in some elements are not completely aligned) stays perfectly still in once place while hovering - but my spaceship which uses Vertical Boosters instead, although aligned to the millimeter keeps veering off to one side or another - as in, the moment I sit on the command chair, and the ship hovers a little it starts going either backwards, or sideways and the only way to keep it in one place is if I keep holding the break key.
What sorcery is this? TBH I hate vertical boosters, the hover engines on my atmo ship are superior.

This is a really thoughtful plan for a ship! Especially if you're new and this is your first serious ship, you've clearly put a lot of thought and work into it. This Reddit post has a useful spreadsheet for planning how much thrust you'll need to carry certain weights out of the various planets' atmospheres because as Elrood said, the design of your ship and what you'll need on it is going to heavily revolve around weight.

Additionally, looking at your planned materials, I would recommend upgrading the retro-rocket brakes to larges. In my experience, having an abundance of braking power is very useful.

2 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but since it is about ship building: How come my atmo ship which uses Hover Engines, and is not really balanced (as in some elements are not completely aligned) stays perfectly still in once place while hovering - but my spaceship which uses Vertical Boosters instead, although aligned to the millimeter keeps veering off to one side or another - as in, the moment I sit on the command chair, and the ship hovers a little it starts going either backwards, or sideways and the only way to keep it in one place is if I keep holding the break key.
What sorcery is this? TBH I hate vertical boosters, the hover engines on my atmo ship are superior.

My observation thus far is.  Hover engines (especially if you have multiple) seem to automatically adjust the amount of thrust they provide depending on the angle of your ship to the ground and the weight distribution on your ship.  Boosters seem to provide a similar amount of thrust all the time.  So, if say the back is heavier then the ship will tend to tilt back at which point the boosters are now providing reverse thrust.

On the subject of ship building.

I am having trouble.

When I have angled walls meeting the voxels seem to apply smoothing automatically when I dont want it.  It reminds me of microsoft clippy.

Is there a way to turn off this auto smoothing or do I just have to undo the redo 10 times until I'm lucky and get no smoothing.

5 hours ago, Underhook said:

On the subject of ship building.

I am having trouble.

When I have angled walls meeting the voxels seem to apply smoothing automatically when I dont want it.  It reminds me of microsoft clippy.

Is there a way to turn off this auto smoothing or do I just have to undo the redo 10 times until I'm lucky and get no smoothing.

Thats probably because of placing priorities - basic voxelmancy. When you place box next to box of different shape, its vertexes (simplifying to much - corners) are trying to comfort those around it (either new one is trying to do it or everything around new one - depending on placing priorities). Triangular shape has vertex in middle of diagonal - which makes behavior of it hard to predict if you don't understand underlying logic. I'm not that good at it so i won't try to get into more details. You should be able to find more information about it online googling for voxelmancy. Unfortunately that topic tend to be a bit hard to wrap your head around it..  

7 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

If i remember correctly (i can't check for next several hours at least) - hovers have kind of "easy mode" setting turned on by default - this easy mode is why hovers always work "well" up to some height. Vertical boosters are working based on angles all the time Take it with grain of salt - its only hearsay from my side, I haven't used hovers in long time.