New Docking mechanic

Iorail

16 hours ago, blazemonger said:

And with it, NQ killed off some really cool and emergent ways of playing, like hauling containers for customers by maneuvering them on your ship and off again at the destination. All because they do not want to put effort into actually dealing with exploits. Once more those who abuse mechanics win and everyone else loses.

That is why anyone that defends people that use exploits are even more stupid, they ruin the fun not only for themselves (after all if you can have everything in a game instantly you'll soon stop playing) but for the rest of us, imagine how fast game dev would be if there where not all those people capable of doing anything to "win"!

None of my shuttles dock any more:

If I just manoeuvre, of course that doesn't work... but even if i get in and get out, the ship starts to bounce around and jiggle. after a minute or so, it will stop moving or fall off entirely.

However, moving the host leaves the smaller ship in place, undocked.

My usual playstyle of heavy interplanetary hauler/local shuttle is no longer viable... For me, it is completely broken.

Well, my fault for playing an alpha, I suppose.

But damn, some of dem edgelord comments on dis thread, doe... talk about defensive. LOL.

13 hours ago, Emptiness said:

note the word 'positioning'.

You said this. I said, and proved, it was false.

I can fly or manoeuvre the ship over the host, but when I get out of the cockpit, the ship continues to bounce and move around after I get out. If i attempt to move the host, the shuttle stays motionless and the host bolts away from it. The host landing pad is solid voxels so there are no elements touching.

Ok we solved it. Apparently the landing gear has to be in the very bottom of the build box. Then it is easy to land and dock, even with manouver tool. If the gear is not situated there one cannot land.

I will rebuild my xs ship and make some experiments tonight.

So. There seems to be a solution that allows you to dock, but the ships has to be built with landinggear in the absolute bottom of buildbox.

33 minutes ago, Ligator said:

Ok we solved it. Apparently the landing gear has to be in the very bottom of the build box. Then it is easy to land and dock, even with manouver tool. If the gear is not situated there one cannot land.

I will rebuild my xs ship and make some experiments tonight.

So. There seems to be a solution that allows you to dock, but the ships has to be built with landinggear in the absolute bottom of buildbox.

Glad it worked out for you, I will add this to the OP. I always start Building from the bottom up so I didn’t even think this was a factor.

1 hour ago, GraXXoR said:

I can fly or manoeuvre the ship over the host, but when I get out of the cockpit, the ship continues to bounce and move around after I get out. If i attempt to move the host, the shuttle stays motionless and the host bolts away from it. The host landing pad is solid voxels so there are no elements touching.

It seems that sometimes docking voxels against voxels don’t work, also if the elements from the shuttle are touching the Parent ship, it won’t dock 90% of the time and you get that shaking motion before it just falls off. Your best bet right now it’s landing gear all the way at bottom of the build box.

sigh.. DU is already a difficult game that can be overwhelming for beginners. And all these unwritten rules and increasing patchwork of undocumented changes are not making it easier.

For example did you know that if you hover using the hover engine only you can tilt up to 30 degrees before you get any horizontal momentum. Use any other type of engine and you get the expected tilt movement. So yet another example of NQ causing unexpected results from doing a quick fix (make the free beginner speeder easier to handle).

The test vehicle here is standing perfectly still without any brakes, and it is causing havoc for the positioning in my auto landing script.

2 hours ago, Rrobin said:

And all they had to do was add a docking RDM and remove the docking part of Manuvering,  Like   they have 3 rdm for containers. view ,put in ,take out,  why bot have 2 RDM for docking,    manuver and docking.   This is stupid......

I suggested an RDMS fix in the long exploit thread... But nope, they have to bludgeon a perfectly working feature of the game into the ground. I swear they did it as a middle finger to the players.... "You guys keep complaining and making noise so f--- you..."

i have been unable to dock any ship at all while within planet influence, works 100% of the time in space, 0% of the time if close enough to planet to see altitude. I've tried moving landing gear to bottom of build box didn't help.

yeah this has broken things for me too... My main ship used to have a shuttle docked to the front, but now nothing I do can make it stick. I get in and have the custom autopilot script active, which lets me keep it from taking off with the vert booster. I get it settled again after sitting in the pilot seat for several seconds. I built out the platform it lands on quite a bit to ensure there's a ton of voxel to voxel contact (both on the bottom and on the back around the door, but even still it just won't stick. Used to be super easy to make them connect, and this kinda ruins my whole detachable front end ship design. Rebuilding this ship to put landing gears on it at the bottom of the build box would take me an hour probably, but I guess that's the only thing left to try.

They really need to work out much better docking mechanics here. Even this issue aside, any time there are more than 2 of us up at our station, our ships become an entangled docked mess, even when they're not touching. It's like overly easy to dock accidentally on a station, but nearly impossible now down on the ground...

unknown.png?width=760&height=475

On 10/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, blazemonger said:

The "problem" is that NQ choose the easy/quick way out. IMO the solution here would have been to only allow using the Maneuver tool (to dock) on a construct you do not own if it it parked on a tile you have already claimed and not when you claim it with the construct being parked on it.

If you park your construct on a claimed tile.. you really only have yourself to blame, regardless of circumstances.

I'm a noob in DU.  Just wondering if a viable mechanic might be.  

A hex is claimed.  Any ship on that claimed tile is impounded and appears at the impound dock at the nearest market.  The impounded ship is released to the owner after a small fine is paid.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, Moonshot said:

yeah this has broken things for me too... My main ship used to have a shuttle docked to the front, but now nothing I do can make it stick. I get in and have the custom autopilot script active, which lets me keep it from taking off with the vert booster. I get it settled again after sitting in the pilot seat for several seconds. I built out the platform it lands on quite a bit to ensure there's a ton of voxel to voxel contact (both on the bottom and on the back around the door, but even still it just won't stick. Used to be super easy to make them connect, and this kinda ruins my whole detachable front end ship design. Rebuilding this ship to put landing gears on it at the bottom of the build box would take me an hour probably, but I guess that's the only thing left to try.

They really need to work out much better docking mechanics here. Even this issue aside, any time there are more than 2 of us up at our station, our ships become an entangled docked mess, even when they're not touching. It's like overly easy to dock accidentally on a station, but nearly impossible now down on the ground...

unknown.png?width=760&height=475

as a follow-up, I rebuilt my shuttle so it sits on xs landing gears at the bottom of the build box. It did not solve the problem.

I saw some1 mention in discord yesterday that if you make the docking surfaces at least 2 voxels thick, it should work. My shuttle was already 2 voxels thick, but I added a layer to my landing pad, and low and behold, I could dock. Recommend trying that.

20 hours ago, Moonshot said:

as a follow-up, I rebuilt my shuttle so it sits on xs landing gears at the bottom of the build box. It did not solve the problem.

I have made 2 dozen or so different 1 man shuttles in my time. none of them dock easily on my main ship any more... it's not to say they don't dock at all, but unlike last month when docking was a dream and worked perfectly, now I have no confidence at all whether a ship is docked unless I move the host construct... And then, most of the times (95%+) the docking has failed.

I did manage to dock a ship on Friday. but it took three attempts and was eventually docked diagonally and looked completely pants.

NQ development mantra:  1 step forwards, 2 steps back for shits and giggles.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Its been a while since anyone posted on this, so either everyones given up on this or someones found a way around this ??Ive tried and tried but cant get docking to work in atmosphere. I have a small shuttle intended to go back and forth to planet surfaces from my agg ship, but no matter how its designed: landing gears, thick voxels etc and whether i manually fly it into place or use the manoeuvre tool it only seems to work 0.000001% of the time. Ive spent a lot of time experimenting but nothing seems to work, Ive even been so nerdy as to keep notes, and the minor successes cant replicated. Theres seemingly no pattern at all...

anyone know anything new? does it only work on the first Tuesday of any month with a full moon in it for example...?

2 hours ago, JoeKing said:

Its been a while since anyone posted on this, so either everyones given up on this or someones found a way around this ??Ive tried and tried but cant get docking to work in atmosphere. I have a small shuttle intended to go back and forth to planet surfaces from my agg ship, but no matter how its designed: landing gears, thick voxels etc and whether i manually fly it into place or use the manoeuvre tool it only seems to work 0.000001% of the time. Ive spent a lot of time experimenting but nothing seems to work, Ive even been so nerdy as to keep notes, and the minor successes cant replicated. Theres seemingly no pattern at all...

anyone know anything new? does it only work on the first Tuesday of any month with a full moon in it for example...?

You have to be standing on the planet surface (or maybe a static construct) while you use the maneuver tool to move the smaller ship onto the larger ship. Then use the maneuver tool on the larger ship to make sure they move together. I usually just land the smaller ship on the carrier, then get out and use the maneuver tool to lift it and set it down again so they're making contact.

28 minutes ago, Haunty said:

You have to be standing on the planet surface (or maybe a static construct) while you use the maneuver tool to move the smaller ship onto the larger ship. Then use the maneuver tool on the larger ship to make sure they move together. I usually just land the smaller ship on the carrier, then get out and use the maneuver tool to lift it and set it down again so they're making contact.

Thanks for your suggestion -unfortunately Ive tried that many times, but as soon as the carrier moves the smaller ship just gets left behind.  Ive tried dropping it with the manoeuvre tool into place so its a good firm contact. Flying it and getting a good solid landing, increasing voxel thickness of the landing zone, rebuilding the shuttle with landing gear at the absolute bottom of the build box, and again with an ugly thick voxel base instead, tried making absolutely sure theres no voxels/element touching except landing gear, trying the previous steps but waiting before moving the carrier... nothing seems to work. Very rarely any version of the latter occasionally docks successfully, but then i cant repeat it - it seems really random.

Id love to be able to fly my shuttle and dock it to my agg ship, that was one of the reasons I built it, but alas it doesn’t seem like its going to be practical. Yet leaving my space station  Im forever turning my flights int accidental ship-flotsam comets! A real shame this doesnt work better....

I have no confidence that any of the remaining devs at NQ are able to navigate their own code any more. 

the snail pace of development and graphic improvements would suggest a dev/art team down to single digits. 

Landing is as unreliable as it was in the early alpha a year ago.

Docking is an absolutely 1st tier key mechanic in what is basically a spaceship builder game. But there are glitches everywhere not just on planets.  

Space docking is a nightmare for different reasons where if you sit down on a space core anywhere within the build cube of another, larger ship, your ship is likely to be considered docked to he larger ship, even if it’s not touching. 

and the larger ship can fly off with your ship floating alongside. Terrific.