New Docking mechanic

Iorail

There seem to be a lot of confusion on how docking works now due to recent changes, so I will explain how to do it and the conditions necessary for it to work:

We will call the bigger ship Parent, the smaller core Child.

-Core has to be at least one size smaller.

-You can’t use the maneuvering tool at all to guide the Child to dock it into the Parent anymore. Using the maneuvering tool will cause your Child ship to “fall off”, most likely blowing your Parent ship and killing you. It has to be flown in after you potion it with the maneuvering tool.

-You have to physically fly and land your Child ship onto the Parent ship,

-Elements from the Child ship can’t be touching your Parent ship, with the exception of landing gear or voxels. The Child ship will not dock even if you fly it and landed, this includes the core.

-When using landing gear, this has to be positioned all the way at the bottom of the build box. (New, from Ligator)

-The Child ship can’t be heavier than the Parent ship, I would stay at least 10t under.

-Make absolutely sure that you land your Child ship completely (speed is at 0 and the landing gear is touching, all of it, or your voxels are completely touching the Parent)

-You can use a remote control to fly it to your Parent ship and docked it on top, no sides or underneath (Thanks Emptiness)

This is all we have discovered so far, in case I missed something, I will update this post. If any other changes happen, we may have to rewrite this again. Enjoy everyone!

And with it, NQ killed off some really cool and emergent ways of playing, like hauling containers for customers by maneuvering them on your ship and off again at the destination. All because they do not want to put effort into actually dealing with exploits. Once more those who abuse mechanics win and everyone else loses.

Damnit. Now I have to redesign all my personal shuttle craft.  They are tiny and land on their hover engines/VTs or VTOL atmos!

They are all too small to use landing gear. 

so now I have to have janky looking voxels sticking out the bottom to land them on. Eww. 

30 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

Damnit. Now I have to redesign all my personal shuttle craft.  They are tiny and land on their hover engines/VTs or VTOL atmos!

They are all too small to use landing gear. 

so now I have to have janky looking voxels sticking out the bottom to land them on. Eww. 

Tiny little “legs” won’t work either, you basically need a floor of voxels under your hovers.........

This change affected me a lot as I have always built 2 ships, a hauler speeder and a carrying ship. Now none of my designs work and I have to redesign everything, but what is killing me the most is the weight change. Before I just leave the cargo on the hauler speeder, docked it to my carrying ship and move in, this is no longer possible as the weight of the docked ship can’t be higher than the carrying ship...

My hauler speeder weight empty is 112t, but my carrying ship total weight is 110t, that is a killer for me because now I have to add containers to the carrying ship and move all the cargo before I can take off.

1 hour ago, Iorail said:

You can’t use the maneuvering tool at all to guide the Child to dock it into the Parent.

False. I have docked two ships to my hauler, one a scout ship and one a test, both with positioning being exclusively via maneuver tool. 

The scout ship has 3 xs landing gear and I maneuver tooled it to the top of the cabin (voxel roof), landed it, got into the seat, toggled gear twice (probably unnecessary), and left, and it was docked.

The test involved a 'ship' consisting of an xs core, an L container, and a remote control. I assembled it, landed the L container flat on the voxel top of the cargo ship, used the remote control then escaped with ctrl+backspace, and the container was docked. 

So basically, we can only dock stuff to tops of ships when in atmo, and all it requires is controlling it in some way for a second at most once it's contacting the parent (to allow gravity to settle it etc).

47 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

hauling containers for customers by maneuvering them on your ship and off again at the destination

this still works; just need a remote control now and no docking to sides/underneath.

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

And with it, NQ killed off some really cool and emergent ways of playing, like hauling containers for customers by maneuvering them on your ship and off again at the destination. All because they do not want to put effort into actually dealing with exploits. Once more those who abuse mechanics win and everyone else loses.

Ruined because one application of a valid mechanic caused a lot of whining.  And as a future, unseen, consequence it will now label any emergent, cunning or clever gameplay that is criminal (and you can't have civilisation without crime) in a sterile "safe zone" as an 'exploit' that will be stopped in its tracks and the simulation of the civilisation will be strangled.

The "problem" is that NQ choose the easy/quick way out. IMO the solution here would have been to only allow using the Maneuver tool (to dock) on a construct you do not own if it it parked on a tile you have already claimed and not when you claim it with the construct being parked on it.

If you park your construct on a claimed tile.. you really only have yourself to blame, regardless of circumstances.

There should be an option on the Child construct to dock it

Like : Right click on Child => Dock Construct => Msg Box stating "Successfully Docked on Parent Construct"

Limits can still be applied if necessary (weight / elements coliding / etc.)

It also could be linked to a button element for convenience.

That way you can maneuver your small ship as much as you want and when ready you manually dock your construct, and only the you can decide to dock.

5 hours ago, Emptiness said:

this still works; just need a remote control now and no docking to sides/underneath.

And a remote control is going to make this work how on a container with no propulsion or adjustors? Even if just adding a remote control would work it would still mean that "we" get the burden of more cost while the exploiting players get away free.

There was no need for this change at all, it's another knee jerk and not well thought through response where NQ could have just declared this an exploit which should stop it from occurring especially when it is a change which will need to be reversed  (or becomes void) once safe zones go away. Just restricting the possibility to maneuver another person's construct to those parked on a tile you have already claimed would have been better and more sensible.

8 hours ago, Emptiness said:

False. I have docked two ships to my hauler, one a scout ship and one a test, both with positioning being exclusively via maneuver tool. 

The scout ship has 3 xs landing gear and I maneuver tooled it to the top of the cabin (voxel roof), landed it, got into the seat, toggled gear twice (probably unnecessary), and left, and it was docked.

The test involved a 'ship' consisting of an xs core, an L container, and a remote control. I assembled it, landed the L container flat on the voxel top of the cargo ship, used the remote control then escaped with ctrl+backspace, and the container was docked. 

So basically, we can only dock stuff to tops of ships when in atmo, and all it requires is controlling it in some way for a second at most once it's contacting the parent (to allow gravity to settle it etc).

You say my statement is false but you need to read what you wrote. 
You use the maneuvering tool first but still got in the cockpit, this cancel the maneuvering tool action as you actually got in the ship itself.....that’s basically flying it to dock it.

On your second example, you use a remote control, which still counts as flying, which I will add to the OP as another way to dock, thanks, I didn’t test this one at that time.

My only question is how did you maneuver this without any engines or anything? Also in all my test I couldn’t get elements to docked in the way you describe at all, cause you still need to use the maneuvering tool, how did you do it?

I maneuvered a ship with gear down on top of my transport ship and it did not work. Does it need to touch voxels to dock? What NQ really needs to do is just check the ownership and permissions of the smaller craft and none of this janky mess they got now. If you own it and mav it onto your larger core ship then it should be good enough.

1 hour ago, Iorail said:

You say my statement is false but you need to read what you wrote.

1 hour ago, Iorail said:

both with positioning being exclusively via maneuver tool.

note the word 'positioning'.

11 hours ago, Iorail said:

You can’t use the maneuvering tool at all to guide the Child

You said this. I said, and proved, it was false.

1 hour ago, Haunty said:

Jeez, people act like the docking feature is finished and NQ is never going to touch it again to improve it, you really think that's the case?

If people stay silent and don't give feedback, then yes I would say there is a good chance it stays unchanged for a couple of years at least.

@Emptiness positioning has nothing to do with docking... cause what I say was you can’t use the maneuvering tool to dock, you can move your ship with the tool sure, but you still need to get in the cockpit or use a remote control, that cancels the maneuvering tool use. I still want to know how you say you docked a core and container only using a remote control tho, cause this don’t work on my end for 2 reasons. One elements don’t dock, and second, how do you fly a core and container only without propulsion or a cockpit?

6 hours ago, Anopheles said:

Ruined because one application of a valid mechanic caused a lot of whining.  And as a future, unseen, consequence it will now label any emergent, cunning or clever gameplay that is criminal (and you can't have civilisation without crime) in a sterile "safe zone" as an 'exploit' that will be stopped in its tracks and the simulation of the civilisation will be strangled.

cheaters dont get to play games....did you hide monopoly $ under the board?? in las vegas you can be arrested

3 minutes ago, Iorail said:

I still want to know how you say you docked a core and container only using a remote control tho, cause this don’t work on my end for 2 reasons. One elements don’t dock, and second, how do you fly a core and container only without propulsion or a cockpit?

I used the maneuver tool to position the L container (with attached elements) flat against the voxel top of my cargo ship. I then used the remote control attached to the container, let it settle, exited the remote control, and it was docked. I was able to use the maneuver tool to move the cargo ship around and the docked L container stayed with it.

3 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

I used the maneuver tool to position the L container (with attached elements) flat against the voxel top of my cargo ship. I then used the remote control attached to the container, let it settle, exited the remote control, and it was docked. I was able to use the maneuver tool to move the cargo ship around and the docked L container stayed with it.

Wait, elements? You said:

10 hours ago, Emptiness said:

How did you landed without having cockpit control or a way to speed/stop it? I get the remote control part is there but this does nothing on my end, you can’t “fly” a ship with a remote control/core/container and elements don’t dock in any of my test.

I’m not disputing your claim, I seriously just want to know how you did it cause I can’t replicated this at all. The core/container/remote control combo fall off the Parent ship 100% of the time for me.

17 minutes ago, Iorail said:

How did you landed without having cockpit control or a way to speed/stop it?

Is English your native language?

26 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

I used the maneuver tool to position the L container (with attached elements) flat against the voxel top of my cargo ship.

I used the maneuver tool to position

I used the maneuver tool to position

Not sure how much more clear this can be. The remote control was only to 'prove ownership' and to let gravity smoosh the two together.

46 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

Is English your native language?

Not sure how much more clear this can be. The remote control was only to 'prove ownership' and to let gravity smoosh the two together.

No need to be sassy here with your comment, what I’m telling you is that this doesn’t work on my end, at all, besides that, even if you manage to find a “glitch” to dock a Child container, that been and L container, you can’t fill this Child container with weight that is more than the weight of the Parent ship cause it will undock when you try to fly the Parent ship. 
Now because I do speak and write english extremely well I’m going to assume you didn’t test this all the way and are just trying to dismiss anything anyone says for the sake of arguing. But if you in fact did what you say you did, without using any of the other exploits that we can’t discuss here, instead of trying to prove a nonexistent point, you need to report your findings. With that said, I assure you my intention was not to dismiss your claim but to understand how you did something we can’t replicate in 3 different accounts at all, or is that not clear English for you....