Not Punishing Desolation was weak and poor from NQ

WildChild85

The manoeuvre "exploit" is as close to not being an exploit as its possible to get.   It doesn't use a bug, it isn't no or low effort (you had to hunt out a badly parked ship of smaller cores than yours, you had to pay to place a tcu and you had to risk pvp space to benefit).  It used a permitted mechanic against a nebulous game "spirit".

Only the cries of the offended and the careless got it labelled as an exploit.

1 minute ago, Samlow said:

Thats not how NQ judged. Thats not how the majority of players judge. My question, answer truly: Have you personally done this now labeled exploit?

Empty vessels make the most noise. 

Plus, the majority of people on the forum or discord != most players.

As for your clumsily placed trap, no I have never done it, nor suffered from it because I took extra time to park securely.

NQ seems to be still in a mindset where they think they can discuss everything extensively internally before taking action and take way to much time doing so. They need to be much quicker with declaring something an exploit and attaching repercussions to continuing to use these from that moment. After that point they can then work out a solution to remove the exploit.

Also, NQ has not really removed any exploits, they have nerfed the game for everyone in order for the trigger for the exploit to be removed. In other words they are taking the easy way out  by pretty much punishing everyone else and not even trying to address the actual exploiters who walk away with no consequence for their actions. This happened when they brought in the "TU required to place a static core" restriction and now by removing the "use maneuver tool to dock a construct" mechanic

It seems that this has now entirely removed the possibility to dock one construct to another using maneuver tool, even if you own both, which seems to me to be another case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Just now, Anopheles said:

Empty vessels make the most noise. 

Plus, the majority of people on the forum or discord != most players.

As for your clumsily placed trap, no I have never done it, nor suffered from it because I took extra time to park securely.

Discuss with me rather then starting the name- calling veiled behind "wise" expressions.

Then why do you defend actions that are hurt the game as a whole? 

Just to add to that. I am a staunch advocate of balanced pvp mechanics, and feel that eventually its gonna be organisational influence affecting which real game areas (so starter area excluded) are gonna be safer and less safe. No, that does not mean I want a fair fight, thats not how you win fights.

However, as long as there is a designated safe-zone, violating that game mechanic is an exploit.

8 minutes ago, Anopheles said:

Only the cries of the offended and the careless got it labelled as an exploit.

It's NQ's game. People didn't "force" NQ to do anything. The people actually making the game are responsible for development choices. 

If they had actually thought out their design, maybe they wouldn't need to "react".  

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

NQ seems to be still in a mindset where they think they can discuss everything extensively internally before taking action and take way to much time doing so. They need to be much quicker with declaring something an exploit and attaching repercussions to continuing to use these from that moment. After that point they can then work out a solution to remove the exploit.

This happens in organizations where the "CEO / founder / creative director" has to make every decision....JC needs to seriously delegate to those "industry vets" from Ubisoft and Sony he's got on staff or this glacial pace of communication will only get worse...

Just now, michaelk said:

This happens in organizations where the "CEO / founder / creative director" has to make every decision.

That's quite the assumption. If true I certainly agree but I have no reason to think this is the case and there is nothing I know of that would point in that direction. I'd be happy to know how you came to thinking as much..

There's no evidence that this will lose players, particularly if NQ are honest about the game.

It isn't a civilisation building game by the way it's a civilisation-s building game.  Some like Singapore where littering gets you a hefty fine and some will be like a war torn, barely functioning Mid African state and all the points in between.

Using the "over-gods" of NQ to solve not-actually-exploits but rather mechanics used "amorally" wont do the game any favours either.

1 minute ago, Anopheles said:

There's no evidence that this will lose opayere, particularly if NQ are honest about the game.

It isn't a civilisation building game by the way it's a civilisation-s building game.  Some like Singapore where littering gets you a hefty fine and some will be like a war torn, barely functioning Mid African state and all the points in between.

Using the "over-gods" of NQ to solve not-actually-exploits but rather mechanics used "amorally" wont do the game any favours either.

This.

Frankly I'm actually upset that NQ seems to have issues with space dongs.

Argue the contrary all you want, they have decided it is not "not-actually-exploits" and just  "amorally" . It is circumventing game mechanics which are not intended to be circumvented. That is an exploit. Sugar coat it all you want.

All we want is actual pvp, not exploiters abusing stuff so much people quit the game or they break a perfectly working docking mechanic to stop ya'll. If you cared for a open pvp world, you would see the reason in wanting better mechanics rather then looking for loopholes.

4 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

That's quite the assumption. If true I certainly agree but I have no reason to think this is the case and there is nothing I know of that would point in that direction. I'd be happy to know how you came to thinking as much..

It's 100% an assumption. 

For me, the chances of a "must-decide-everything" borderline-arrogant leader rises exponentially with each title they assume. CEO, Founder, Creative Director, PhD. :D 

Also...it's the lack of a prominent designer voice other than JC. Who else actually works on the game design / gameplay mechanics? It's only ever JC talking about the game on the media I've seen. 

Frankly, the other thing that makes me think this is the lack of progress on the game over the past 6 years...If there were really experienced programmers and designers leading the development efforts, there'd be more to show for it and they wouldn't be surprised that gamers are naughty beasts that will actually use the tools you give them. ?‍♂️

The big issue is:

NQ stated to NOT exploit bugs to get an unfair advantage to the others who play within the rules.

Or it will have consequences.

We all know it still happened here and there. NQ cannot overwatch everything. Okay.

But now a whole organization abused a bug in more than 300 (!) cases to steal other players ships.

They did not do it here and there, they massively focused exactly on the bug abuse. Exactly on the thing NQ prohibited.

They even allowed it in their org rules.

And most of the cases were well documented. Every day NQ got a buch of reports from the victims about this.

And yet there are no consequences.

The problem is:

Why should players now follow the rules?

When they know it won't have any consequences to break the rules and use exploits wherever you can?

If even a case that is so extreme and so precisely documented had no consequences?

If you use ingame features to play like a pirate/ mercenary org - okay. Thats your playstyle. If the other orgs don't like it, its in their responsibility to do sth. about.

But a massive bug abuse like this is clearly NQs scope.

I’m actually extremely disappointed in the outcome of everything that has happened and continues to happened. It’s not that I’m keeping count or anything but this is the 7th time one specific group of people has participated in one way or another in using exploits and misused game mechanics to gain an unfair advantage and not in one occasion has this group been punished in any way possible. I don’t know about any of you but this has set a precedent into which I can do anything I want and NQ can’t punish me at all, right? 

Some of you need to stop and look at the “members” of this group more closely, and you see what I have been looking at since Alpha, the real reason why there is never any punishment will make sense. And that is all I have to say to about this.

6 hours ago, Samlow said:

All we want is actual pvp, not exploiters abusing stuff

The point of this thread is that NQ is not actually going after exploiters but instead pretty much punishes everyone by nerfing mechanics to the point where the exploit no longer exists.

In the situation where there is no safe zone, you can just shoot a construct left unattended on an unclaimed tile. There is nothing wrong with that.

Having the option to maneuver a construct in/on another is a viable and useful mechanic, using it to bypass the safezone by bringing the construct into PVP space to destroy and claim it is an exploit. NQ just killed the another useful mechanic and removing the players freedom and choices in general to prevent some using this as an the exploit while leaving the perpetrators to go free which is putting the cart before the horse. And it's not the first time they have done this (not having hopes it will be the last time either)

10 hours ago, Mordgier said:

Yawn.

Has NQ even done anything about the duppers, link exploiters and mass exploiters?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that orgs warping their pvp ships and haulers around the galaxy for 1 cell at a time are a much bigger deal but hey what do I know...

Hypothetically, how would one warp a ship around the system for a single warp core? Asking for a friend. 

5 hours ago, Iorail said:

And that is all I have to say to about this.

There are several ways to look at this. 

But i will start by saying: Yes. There is a group of player that have a deep link with NQ. Their opinions are worth 100 times one of ours, and they get to know stuff before we know it(sometimes giving them a huge unfair advantage) 

But there is also another perspective here. Some ppl abuse and exploits with the excuse that it will force NQ to take action. 

Normally ppl report a bug they find. After 3,4 months, they get tired of waiting the bug to be fixed so they start exploiting it massively to create some urgency in NQ. 

I personally know 2 bugs both game breaking and abusive. I have used one of them in a alt account several times, just to see if there is any reaction from NQ. 

Ofcorse that none of this uses screws any other player.

What i would love to see here would be for NQ reacting faster to this massive exploits. 

They knew that ppl were docking ships and taking them to the PVP zone weeks ago. Why does this have to grow into 300 numbers for NQ to act?? 

Is there a reason NQ did not post this exploit warning a week ago?

Where was our community manager while this was happening? Talking about "feeding the hamsters"? 

Every programer can make a game breaking bug. The real problem here is the lack of quick action to prevent the worse. 

4 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

Is there a reason NQ did not post this exploit warning a week ago?

Because NQ still thinks they need to deliberate and come up with solutions before speaking up. they could have declared an exploit weeks ago and then start working on a solution. These things should not take this long.

6 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Hypothetically, how would one warp a ship around the system for a single warp core? Asking for a friend. 

There's far more profit in unlimited link range, and I've been sitting on a ticked for 16 days for how to duplicate that bug with 6 different log files.

Its stupid now how all these ex grifers are posting on discord bosting about all the people they killed with exploits because they know they wont get banned and are safe. 
In the past NQ has banned people for much less and some of these things are now even allowed. NQ have lost players and sub money because of it and they are just letting it pass? HELLO??

5 minutes ago, Busterguy said:

Its stupid now how all these ex grifers are posting on discord bosting about all the people they killed with exploits because they know they wont get banned and are safe. 
In the past NQ has banned people for much less and some of these things are now even allowed and wont wont ban anyone for this where they have lost players and sub money because of it? 

Best course of action is to simply ignore them. Much like ignoring a brat having a tantrum. They do this because its the only way they can get attention. There is nothing anyone can say that will change this, and in trying only stirs them up more as the hate and anger is what they live on.

So simply ignore them (better yet, just put them on mute and move on with your life).