NQ, Griefers are a problem

Virtual

NQ has done nothing regarding Sybily's wall next to Band Of Outlaws' base. We have held off on our retaliation due to the request of NQ. If it's allowed, it's allowed, but we don't want to be banned for doing same once they issue guidance on it. And, indeed, claiming a couple extra tiles around your main base certainly helps ease those issues. If griefers don't have access, they have limited means to annoy you.

1 hour ago, Virtual said:

This is a wall that is blocking our runways from exhibitors who are trying to land.

Dafuq? I see atleast three  four directions you can land from. Not like people couldn't just fly over the wall.

11 minutes ago, [BOO] Sylva said:

If griefers don't have access, they have limited means to annoy you.

While I do not disagree with this, I feel that simply saying "it's all good to throw up sand walls for the purpose of hindering another player just because you can" is not a valid argument.

The argument "just claim more tiles" is simply not a valid one here. the action taken here _is_ griefing and NQ has spoken out about and against this following the incident you guys were involved with to allow themselves to have ammunition if it happens again. It happend again and so now they need to use their tools to act. If they do not, we will see this happen more and more and it will hurt the game. Especially since this is exactly the kind of "news" some outlets will be waiting for (and they already blew the pre Beta "exploits" well out of proportion)..

5 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

While I do not disagree with this, I feel that simply saying "it's all good to throw up sand walls for the purpose of hindering another player just because you can" is not a valid argument.

The argument "just claim more tiles" is simply not a valid one here. the action taken here _is_ griefing and NQ has spoken out about and against this following the incident you guys were involved with to allow themselves to have ammunition if it happens again. It happend again and so now they need to use their tools to act. If they do not, we will see this happen more and more and it will hurt the game. Especially since this is exactly the kind of "news" some outlets will be waiting for (and they already blew the pre Beta "exploits" well out of proportion)..

I have two words: "Disproportionate response"

...and I like to play Go.

A player taking advantage of how elements load into the game to construct an invisible wall of death is clearly exploitative. It takes advantage of technical flaws with the game, not an intended game mechanic.

I don't really think NQ should step in, though. When issues like this are dealt with ad-hoc by GMs, it is sloppy and prone to inconsistency. It doesn't stop bad behavior, it punishes it after the fact. Frankly, NQ will never be able to afford enough GMs to monitor players for "good behavior". 

If they want to stop a behavior, it's easy -- just fix the technical issues or game rules that make griefing possible.

The rules of the game shouldn't be a guess. If you can do it, it is legal. If you shouldn't be able to do it, the game should not let you do it...not an underpaid and overworked GM prone to human error. 

3 minutes ago, [BOO] Sylva said:

I have two words: "Disproportionate response"

If this refers to OP then under normal conditions, sure.

As it stands:

1. OP has no recourse in game to take action and "claim more tiles" may be a good idea, but not the solution here. The griefer is untouchable and can contuinue to do as he pleases as there is nothing anyone can do.
  2. NQ does not have a presence to act on this outside office hours and even then, they barely take notice or ownership of these things anyway. 
  3. Whoever they have handling their support is unable to cope with the  work and has let the ticket queue run so far behind (3-4 weeks) that it is pretty much pointless to raise a ticket for this.

5 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

If this refers to OP then under normal conditions, sure.

As it stands:

1. OP has no recourse in game to take action and "claim more tiles" may be a good idea, but not the solution here. The griefer is untouchable and can contuinue to do as he pleases as there is nothing anyone can do.
  2. NQ does not have a presence to act on this outside office hours and even then, they barely take notice or ownership of these things anyway. 
  3. Whoever they have handling their support is unable to cope with the  work and has let the ticket queue run so far behind (3-4 weeks) that it is pretty much pointless to raise a ticket for this.

1 - That's the solution. I'm sorry that you don't like it.

2 - This isn't their problem.

3 - This isn't their problem.

5 minutes ago, michaelk said:

The rules of the game shouldn't be a guess. If you can do it, it is legal. If you shouldn't be able to do it, the game should not let you do it...not an underpaid and overworked GM prone to human error. 

This is factually incorrect, an exploit is something you may be able to do, but it is still not allowed. So no, being able to do something does not by default make it OK. At best you could say that unless NQ declares something an exploit it may not be one. This is a case of griefing though which is not the same.

OP may be over reacting by blowing it up here, but with NQ being pretty much non reachable or approachable in these things, the only other option is to let it happen.

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

This is factually incorrect, an exploit is something you may be able to do, but it is still not allowed. So no, being able to do something does not by default make it OK. At best you could say that unless NQ declares something an exploit it may not be one. This is a case of griefing though which is not the same.

OP may be over reacting by blowing it up here, but with NQ being pretty much non reachable or approachable in these things, the only other option is to let it happen.

lol at you thinking that piling dirt is an exploit.

You may have had a case if they were making a net from floating voxels

My point isn't that everything you can do in the game is "okay" -- it's that if NQ doesn't want a player to do something, they can stop it by patching the game and fixing the game rules.

IMO fixing the game rules is the only way to stop "exploits" -- because the honor system or GM enforcement isn't realistic or scalable. 

5 minutes ago, Mordgier said:

NQ has commented that they will delete voxel dongs.

PS I need to get back to this even if it is off topic. 

Whose job will this be? I am looking for part time employment and am very good at recognizing dongs from a distance. I promise to delete all but the most artistic of them. 

10 minutes ago, michaelk said:

PS I need to get back to this even if it is off topic. 

Whose job will this be? I am looking for part time employment and am very good at recognizing dongs from a distance. I promise to delete all but the most artistic of them. 

I use dongs to mark unclaimed tiles that I mined out because they are easier to spot than holes.

Removing these markers is griefing. Frankly I think they are a public service, if you see a dong, you know that tile has been mined. 

Please don't grief.

Yp7bq0N.png

3 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

When this eventually goes tits up, the people defending this sort of thing will be blaming carebears for the end times.

If DU goes tits up - it won't be because of walls but complete and total lack of end game. Just a grind within a grind within a grind to speed up the grind. You know - same reason Worlds Adrift died...