Slopes and voxels, please tell me if I have this right

CroolisVar

I use the brush on the number 2 tool, press E until I get the wedge, then stretch it so I get a 2:1 slope and slap it down. Woop de doo. But then if I want to flip that stretched wedge and place it underneath the first so It forms a sloping girder, it goes all derpy.

You can do this with the default 1:1 wedge and it doesn't go all derpy. This is because with that 2:1 brush I am stretching out one voxel, rather than making 2, right? And then due to the arcane ins and outs of voxel behaviour my vertices are being yanked about (along with my brain and my patience). Leaving aside the questions of why we don't have more wedge shapes (one voxel in size to drive the other voxels' vertices) to choose from on the number 2 tool, or why when we do the stretch it simply doesn't just paste in two voxels with appropriately placed vertices , I need to know this:

Is there a quick trick I can do to create slopes greater than 1:1 without using that hideous line tool that almost never suits my purposes and without resorting to going and finding someone to give me that reactor set. I have seen Tordan's videos and I've seen him create the first part of the 2:1 voxel slope but only by doing lots of reactor steps tortuously getting a pixel sized something right into the voxel wall fingy.

I'm a patient man, almost a tedious bastid in fact, but I can't face doing all that all the time. I've been messing about on a checkerboard with that sodding pinch tool and I'm getting nowhere. There's gotta be simple solutions to being able to knock up the ship design I have in my head, or I'm not going to last in this game. Please tell me the Devs are making a better toolkit than the (admirable but please no) Tordan technique.

Thx for replies and listening to my rant.

Well, there has been murmurs of a tool that will let us nudge the actual vertexes. Which will go a HEAPING long way to resolving a gobsmack of problems.

I do agree, trying to do "the most basic slope" (that all basic builder games sport, the 2:1), with the current wedge tool is a mixed bag of garbage. You pretty much HAVE to use the reactor set and create the proper two voxels for the 2:1 slope. Then squirrel those away somewhere, and copy/paste them to your hearts content (you dont have to remake them each time, copy/paste that sucker!).

I managed to make the top part voxel of the 2:1 slope using the pinch tool on a checkerboard, but I can't do the thin end of the wedge voxel that way, you need the reactor set as you say.

In lieu of a better toolset (the notion of a vertice nudging tool is where we want to be isn't it), can't the Devs just give us a blueprint set with all the slopes, reactors and any other desirable shape pre-made from a free vendor at a market? That would be the easiest solution for all concerned. Then I don't have to go cap in hand to someone who might (snigger) try and make me earn it from them somehow.