5 million scam Discord nickname Sansha#9212

GEEKsogen

I want to report a 5 million quantum scam. Discord nickname Sansha#9212 promised to sell Beta key, but after receiving the money, he blacklisted my Discord. Game nickname Gliderian. Is it possible to impose sanctionson accounts Sansha and Gliderian ?

8f5af0ae666d0b988f5431cfa8ba69ce.png

Chalk this up as lesson learned.  He should not be sanctioned. You attempted to buy something with ingame money.  Which is fine.  But you chose to try to buy something that doesn't exist "in game".  So this is a valid scam.  If you tried to buy for IRL money then it would be RMT and you both would be liable to be held accountable per their TOS.  Only IRL transfers can go thru NQ. For subs/DAC (when they come out).  If you tried to buy something that is an ingame item, you could use the barter system to be way more secure.  Buyer beware when purchasing services from other people.  

To be fair, if he's scamming in the official discord by offering beta keys he doesn't actually have, it's probably worth of a ban from the official discord.

It's just good community management of the discord - you ban the scammers from trade chat.

There should be absolutely no game penalties etc... 

I would take this up with the Discord moderators.

11 minutes ago, Mordgier said:

To be fair, if he's scamming in the official discord by offering beta keys he doesn't actually have, it's probably worth of a ban from the official discord.

It's just good community management of the discord - you ban the scammers from trade chat.

There should be absolutely no game penalties etc... 

I would take this up with the Discord moderators.

I have no arguments with discord so that's whatever.  But ya no ingame sanctions to his character should happen.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

I have no arguments with discord so that's whatever.  But ya no ingame sanctions to his character should happen.

Yeah - it's not a good look if the official discord trade channel is where the scam originated for the community. That's my angle on that. If the trade channel isn't policed for scammers - it's worthless and a noob trap.

On the other hand, if you traded 5 million for an empty trade window, you got exactly what you traded for.

1 minute ago, Mordgier said:

Yeah - it's not a good look if the official discord trade channel is where the scam originated for the community. That's my angle on that. If the trade channel isn't policed for scammers - it's worthless and a noob trap.

On the other hand, if you traded 5 million for an empty trade window, you got exactly what you traded for.

The only way a lot of these scammers succeed is, based on buyers greed.  Our best guess is official release is probably 18 months away. Give or take who knows, but thats a educated guess.  So that means if you are paying a sub til release, you would have spent $7 X 18 = $126 dollars.  Beta keys you dont have to pay for release, so thats an estimate of their value.  So this person thought they could spend only 5mil of in game quanta for $126 dollars, which is laughably low, because even noobs can make 5 mil in a few hours.  There is a reason for the saying "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". 

11 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

The only way a lot of these scammers succeed is, based on buyers greed.  Our best guess is official release is probably 18 months away. Give or take who knows, but thats a educated guess.  So that means if you are paying a sub til release, you would have spent $7 X 18 = $126 dollars.  Beta keys you dont have to pay for release, so thats an estimate of their value.  So this person thought they could spend only 5mil of in game quanta for $126 dollars, which is laughably low, because even noobs can make 5 mil in a few hours.  There is a reason for the saying "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". 

A beta account can be used as an alt that pays 100k a day AND can train all the skills you don't want to waste on your main, like handling.

Anyone selling it for 5 mil is not to be taken seriously.

Also - I've got beta keys, will sell for 5 mil, please give me the money first though.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:50 PM, Mordgier said:

A beta account can be used as an alt that pays 100k a day AND can train all the skills you don't want to waste on your main, like handling.

Anyone selling it for 5 mil is not to be taken seriously.

Also - I've got beta keys, will sell for 5 mil, please give me the money first though.

I bought 3 at 5 mil.... 5-10 in the going rate and has been since day 1 of beta.......

On 10/4/2020 at 6:33 PM, Mordgier said:

No you didn't lol. You made an agreement for a beta key for in game money....this is a game I get that but that's the same as a legal and binding contract in most US states......

So yeah I don't get that logic... trade window is blank ONLY because u can't put a beta key in there....

So how are we suppose to buy beta keys for quanta if the logic is "its not in the trade window"..

Keep in mind nq allows all this.

3 minutes ago, paulck3 said:

No you didn't lol. You made an agreement for a beta key for in game money....this is a game I get that but that's the same as a legal and binding contract in most US states......

So yeah I don't get that logic... trade window is blank ONLY because u can't put a beta key in there....

So how are we suppose to buy beta keys for quanta if the logic is "its not in the trade window"..

Keep in mind nq allows all this.

Allow doesn't mean support.

You're welcome to take this 'legally binding contract' to a court of your choice - best of luck.

1 hour ago, Mordgier said:

Allow doesn't mean support.

You're welcome to take this 'legally binding contract' to a court of your choice - best of luck.

Why would anyone do that lol? I mean you can take it to court. Lol.. Keep in mind this is a world wide game.. so there are different culture and ways of life.....I am merely pointing out that in the USA we deem an agreement the same as "putting an object into a trade box"

So you missed the point completely. And allow does mean support in this context.. they proved the means for scams. Also they have made discord tags for "thief" and "scammer". So how is it not supported?

Hey folks :)

This topic is generally a bit difficult as it crosses multiple domains, so let's take it apart.

On the Beta Key trade I don't have exactly matching resources, but I remember the thread Player Recruitment & Advertisement: dos and don'ts, where Beta Keys are being addressed when gifted to others as recruitment incentive. True, that's not the same as selling them, but expecting someone to hold up his end of a bargain by joining your organization after receiving a Beta Key can be seen as a "contract" too and it's been made clear that giving away your keys is your own responsibility:

Before gifting a DAC or a Supporter Pack, you should carefully consider that a player could leave your Organization or simply never join it at all. In this situation, this will be your responsibility and we will not refund nor reverse the gift you made to another player. The Novaquark team will not step in to oblige the receiver to fulfill his part of the bargain either (if there was any).

Of course regarding the above I'm not speaking for NQ and you're free to raise a ticket about this. It's just my personal expectation that the result will be something similar to the above. It's not pretty and I'm very sorry for your loss. But consider if it was real life and you had given the money in person to someone in a bar - you probably wouldn't expect the bartender to go after the scammer, as he's got no authority to prosecute criminals. So if I'd treat this as "real life crime" I'd say it's not NQ who should prosecute this - and if I treat this as in-game scam then it brings me to my next paragraph.

On the game side of things we're traveling quickly into role play, where not only deals/trade and co-operation take place, but you can also find spying, scams, theft and other nasty deeds. Hence I could treat this thread as part of role play. The game provides the trade window where players can check that they receive all the things both parties agreed on. With this you're pretty safe when closing deals. But if you decide to trade things that are not visible in the trade window, you decide to base your business on trusting your trade partner and it might turn out that your trust has been misplaced with some individuals. As scams in game are part of role play, I wouldn't expect prosecution by NQ either unless rules were broken, like exploiting a bug or any of the other rules - tho personally I don't think that applies here. But that's stuff for CMs to talk about - not my expertise as forum moderator, which brings me to my final consideration.

On the forum side of things, I could treat this whole thread as violation of section III, which reads:

Calling out other players or community members by name to shame them for actions or opinions you may disagree with. Naming and shaming is not tolerated.

Tho I feel that would solely play into the hands of scammers and personally I think there should be a way for both sides to act and react. I've seen a bounty in the past posted by another member and had to make a similar call to treat it as naming and shaming or as part of role play - I decided on the latter. I'm going to apply that to this thread too, but I want to make it clear that stuff like this can quickly cross the verge and represent a violation of our forum rules. To avoid this I ask everyone in such a situation to keep it on the role play side when taking it to the forums.

Generally speaking: if you've been the victim to an in-game scam and freely traded your in-game assets to another player who then didn't hold up to his end of the bargain (whatever it may have been), you've experienced an unfortunate in-game scam and should only seek retribution in game too. If you decide to prosecute this outside of the game, these forums are not the right place to do so by calling that player out and thereby violate the forum rules ;) 

Since this forum serves as part of game related communication, it's generally ok to use it to organize in-game retributions like posting bounties or asking for in-game help. However, on the General Discussions section it's a bit misplaced and not exactly clear, but we don't have a better section right now and I'll tolerate it here. Still, I ask everyone to keep this in mind: stick to the role play side and avoid a violation of the rule quoted above. I do hope to see a dedicated section in the future that makes it clear when it's about in-game retribution and role play :) 

One final request: please don't use my posting to silence others in an aggressive manner. Not referring to this thread, but I've seen some people talking in a fashion like "NQ said it's ok, so stop whining!" or even worse - which is not ok. Try to feel for others, help them out if you can, but at least advise instead of telling them off. Don't just try to shut them up and don't provoke or laugh at them - stuff like this happens to the best and we need not throw salt into open wounds. Always remember the first sentence of the forum rules: we want this to be a place where everyone feels empowered to have an open and friendly discussion :) 

Mellow greetings

Mondlicht